Sunday, November 15, 2020

T Stands for Tuesday & Christmas Fruitcake Baking

        Another week is upon us, which also brings us to T Stands for Tuesday. Link in my sidebar will take you to our hostess Bleubeard and Elizabeth. Only posting requirement is to share a drink related photo. 

        As you may have realized by now I have not been linking to the T forum but still visiting, do to worries about the security of the link up gadget-a friend and I had issues during a week's time at different link up blogs-but I thought I would post this week just so you know-if interested-where I am blogging now.

    Yes as you have noticed I am back to posting on my Hummingbird Blog. In the end I did not care for the format on the newer version of the Blogger blogs, so I just deleted it over the weekend. It was more cumbersome to edit, or for the reader to visit an older post, and I didn't care for the look of it either.

      We have had some pretty days, a little rain and lots of wind and whitecaps on the lake a couple days.  On the nice days we have had help for the dock update-which involves allot of hard labor. On those days I make a meal to share with our workers. The weather looks good again this coming week so hoping more progress can be made.

   I have shared the site nuts.com before, it's my go to place for very high quality nuts, dried fruits, nut milks, and lots more along with quality glazed fruits for fruitcake baking.  I know many in the States especially don't make this much anymore, many don't like it either. It is loaded with carbs and sugars but if  made from scratch using a good recipe-it's really really good, and for us it's a holiday treat. I have been baking this cake since I was in my early 20s on my own, and we made fruitcake when I was a kid helping Mom in the kitchen.

   I have not baked this in a couple years, now that we are more settled into our lake home I went to nuts.com and ordered what I needed. The quality is so much better, and the two local grocery stores near me now don't even have the fruits available. I usually try to bake these cakes late October and before mid November, so they will have at least a month to age a bit. Baked and aged properly I have had them still good 3 years later. I hide it so Hubs doesn't overdo the sugars. 😀

  The recipe I use in an English Dark Fruitcake-just enough cake to hold it together.

  This is the book my Mom had,  when I left on my own I purchased a copy Most of these recipes are 1700's and 1800's


All Photos will enlarge-just click on them
  
This is the fruits and raisins with 1/2 cup of brandy that will sit and soak for 24 hours 

Aren't these golden raisins beautiful-large and plump

The following morning I add in the nuts, mix up the cake batter, mix with the fruits and nuts
     This is one of my handmade pottery bowls that I love to use in the kitchen


We found these perfect pans at a garage sale many years ago
 

  Cakes turned out of the pans (parchment paper on the bottom of pans) Once cooled I flip them over-let rest overnite, then cut each cake into 4 pieces, wrap in cheesecloth that was soaked in brandy-store in airtight container



   This recipe is a 3 day process from start to finish.  I just got another bowl of fruits ready for tomorrow that  I will bake up a gluten free version. And then I will bake up one more batch with the regular flour  Enough cakes for sharing, and for a couple years. I used to give a whole batch to Larry's father-he loved my fruitcake-better than store bought he would say.

   I am up to the hand sewing of the binding on the second gift quilt-I am working to get this finished and in the mail before week's end.

  A pretty sunrise a couple mornings ago



  When I am at the Wal Mart food shopping I usually take a look at their markdown area. There was just one of these boxes of teas-it was just for me-I love the brand, and this was decaf green tea and lemon-perfect


Happy T and new week everyone! Oh and if interested I just posted my homemade kahlua recipe in my next post here

39 comments:

  1. Wow, Kathy, is it my display or does the sunrise photo actually have a large cloud over the water? It’s amazing on my screen! It reminds me of a series I watched based on a Stephen King story called “The Mist”.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It all looks very yummy. Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful shot of the lake!
    I once bought hubby a fuitcake for his birthday when we traveled Australia. I knew the Aussies have a very, very sweet tooth and bought the diet-version in hopes it´s not that sweet. Boy, it was super-sweet, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sometime the diet version does taste more sweet than the regular version-ugh

      Delete
  4. I saw Barbara's comment and think the photo of the sun over the lake is misty or foggy. Moody, maybe.

    I also love a bargain, but since I'm not shopping for myself, Scott just gets things I need at Aldi. So glad you found those reduced teas. You can't beat reduced, in my estimation.

    I am NOT a fan of fruitcake. I hate citron and the nuts usually overpower the cake. However, I bought a small fruitcake once that had no citron and only fresh fruit. It was heaven. I just can't take the bright green and bright red, but at least yours looks decent. Add enough liquor/brandy and it will be healthy (grin).

    Thanks for sharing your photos of the fruitcake, your sunrise, and your tea with us for T this week, Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the only thing I bake that has dyed fruits in it and is extra sweet-otherwise I don't use it either. I did change this recipe to all slivered almonds instead of three types of nuts-agree can have too many nuts.

      Delete
  5. I like fruitcake but have never made it. I tend to make fruit breads though. I recently picked up my fruits from King Arthur for some good holiday breads this year so I will see how they go. You will have to let us know how the fruitcake tastes, but I bet it is good. Your lake photo is very moody, but then lakes tend to be that, which is one of the great things about them. A nice cup of tea is always good, but especially when it is cold-like it is here. Guess it's that time of year. Have a great T day Kathy. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erika, we have been having allot of these moody type mornings-lots of fog floating around with the difference in air and lake temperatures. Happy T

      Delete
  6. The lake shot is fantastic!!! I love fruitcake and so does Bob but I have never made one. Some year I might try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can smell your cake all the way here! :-)
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, this first bake turned out so good-I will be cutting them and wrapping in the cheesecloth this morning. late afternoon I will bake up the gluten free version for me

      Delete
  8. I only like a certain type of fruit cake (probably one that was homemade and I had as a child). I've had store bought ones, and I don't like them. Your recipe sounds like it's a good one. Those golden raisins look delicious. I haven't had those in a long time! I LOVE that fog on the lake! You are so lucky to have the lake in your backyard, so you can get fog photos like that. The sunrise and sunset photos are great, too, but you don't get fog all of the time like that, so being there gives you the opportunity to get those photos when it happens. Happy T-Day! (My post will pop out at midnight. We had damaging winds here last night, which was very scary. I have links to news stories about it in my T-Post. The winds even toppled the Christmas Tree on the New Haven, CT green. Ugh.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne, yes homemade is the best-we like this recipe the best as it is mostly the fruits less cake-it's really nice after being aged a few months.
      Yes I am sooo thankful of our "backyard" views-every morning it looks different we just love it.
      Soooo sorry about the wind damage-that is always so scary. when I was a kid living in Indiana we had allot of tornados that came near us. sorry about the Christmas tree-we don't need more stress in our lives-hugs

      Delete
  9. I'm so glad I found you, Kathy! You gotta stop going MIA on us.

    I love the image on the cookbook cover. I've never met a fruitcake I liked, but from your description, I might like yours.

    We're fortunate here in the choice and quality of fresh fruits, nuts and things like raisins. Many are fresh from the fields like blueberries, strawberries and asparagus. If we drive to the other side of the lake, we can pick the berries ourselves.

    There are two things we love and can't get here, sweet corn and potato varieties like Idaho and russet. Mexico's potatoes are awful - very starchy. If you mash them, they make glue. Yuck.

    Happy T-Day! Stay safe and stay well. Hugs, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know-my friends probably don't know where I am posting any more haha
      That's nice to be able to get local fruits and nuts. I used to pick allot of berries and put them up years ago. I would not like those potatoes either-we pretty much stopped eating carb veggies most days and I serve them for a treat once a week or so Happy T hugs

      Delete
  10. I can only imagine how delicious your fruitcake is. It would definitely have to be hidden from my hubby for he likes nothing better than a slice of fruitcake with a cup of coffee on a cold winter's day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! yes my husband will do the same-a nice slice of fruitcake with coffee-I haven't made this in a couple years-so a holiday treat

      Delete
  11. Though I have never been a fan of this cake, yours does sound so very nice-and tempting! Great that you could find all that you needed to make the best version .
    And that sunrise- wow- just stunning!!!
    Good find on the tea bargain:) Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda-this sunrise was pretty neat with all the clouds and mist

      Delete
  12. The fruitcake looks so yummy and wow, that cookbook looks great! The front cover is gorgeous and I'd love to look through the recipes whilst enjoying my cuppa this morning 😁. Such a beautiful view over the lake too! Happy T Day wishes! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo, this is one of my favorite cookbooks for sure. Happy T

      Delete
  13. We like fruitcake. My father used to make fruit cake and he also made a golden fruitcake which wasn’t as heavy on the brandy and more people seemed to like. I’ll have to check out nuts.com Happy TDay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never realized there are allot of different fruitcake recipes. sometimes for me I would use the recipe we like but change the glazed fruits to dried fruits instead. nuts.com is one of my favorite places to shop-family owned too

      Delete
  14. I've never baked fruitcake but grew up eating those Claxton fruitcakes you can still buy in banks around here. I wonder where I'll get my Claxton fix this year :( I prefer the fruitcakes that are light on the bread and heavy on the fruit. And now you have me fondly remembering fruitcakes we got as gifts in the past. So funny, we used to joke that the Christmas gift fruitcakes that get re-gifted should just start off at our house lol

    Another gorgeous lake view! Happy T Tuesday :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep that's what this recipe is just enough cake to hold it all together. is claxton the one out of Texas?

      Delete
    2. This Claxton is from South Georgia. Looks like I can order online :)
      https://www.claxtonfruitcake.com/bakery-catalog

      Delete
    3. thanks I think that one has been around a long time too there is one from Texas that is sold in a tin that is a dark fruitcake

      Delete
    4. I still have tins from fruitcakes from the past, but this Claxton just comes in a plastic sleeve. Claxton offers a dark one, but I've never tried it. I bet I'd like it, too.

      Delete
    5. I the claxton is one I just saw at wal mart this morning. the dark ones usually have less cake

      Delete
    6. Cool! It's good to know I won't hafta do without this year :) Thx!

      Delete
  15. I have never made fruitcake nor can I remember if I ever tried it. But it certainly looks lovely. I enjoyed seeing and reading about your process. A three day process it a labor of love. Sourdough is like that for me. I tell my children they better not waste because it took so long to make. I especially liked seeing all the bright colors of fruits and nuts together in the bowl. So pretty!
    That picture of the lake is gorgeous! Mist is my favorite. We live in the mountains so I love the days where the mist is hanging out right at the peaks.
    Happy Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always loved the mountains too-nature is beautiful for sure.
      these fruitcakes are so pretty when sliced too

      Delete
  16. I used to make a fruit cake every year when we lived in the UK. As you say, it keeps for ages. Mine was similar to yours. Not a patch on the store bought ones. I used to 'water' mine with brandy every week.
    That cook book looks really nice. Just looking at the front cover.
    Your lake photo is beautiful with the mist rolling in. We get a lot of that during this season. I wake up and look out of the window and see a sunny day, so i get up, only to find ten minutes later that we are immersed in thick fog which has just literally rolled in.
    Happy T-Day,
    Hugs,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we the difference in the air and lake temperatures now we are getting allot of mist or fog-looks cool over the lake though. I wet down cheesecloth with the spirits squeeze out the excess in a bowl and wrap that around the cakes-I check it more frequently at first then once a month

      Delete
  17. I'm pleased to hear that you have had some good days to make some progress on the dock! I have just purchase all the ingredients for my Christmas fruit cake. It's a tried and tested recipe that is made 'last minute' - for me that's mid December and it lasts us over the holiday period. I haven't made one for a while as my sugar was a lot higher over the last few years. I will be letting hubby eat most of it as I don't want to go backwards.
    Your photo is wonderful, how lucky you are to see the sun rise in such spectacular splendour!
    My cake doesn't have alcohol in but I will be passing the Kailua recipe to my son in the hopes he shares it with me!
    Belated Happy T Day, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes this cake is full of carbs and sugars for sure so we will enjoy it sparingly through out the year(s) Oh I hope your son makes the kahlua it's really good-especially after aging a bit

    ReplyDelete
  19. The cake looks good :)
    Lovely photograph of the lake.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit