Monday, November 23, 2020

T Stands for Tuesday Christmas Light Show & Quilting

 Good morning, It's early Monday morning right now-and wow the fog is thick over the lake. It's around 8:30 am now but an hour earlier we couldn't even see our dock and boat. So now the fog is beginning to lift a bit. 


    T Stands for Tuesday is upon us so you are most welcome to join us for T with our hostess Bleubeard and Elizabeth-find link in my sidebar. Only requirement is to share a drink related photo.

   Larry's sister and daughter are here at their lake house for a week or so, her husband will drive in after work Wednesday. We haven't been to visit yet they are about 45 minutes drive away and they are in a spot we wouldn't want to be. For being a Chicago city girl they chose a super rural area-they have to maintain their own roads, there is a huge steep hill to drive down with a switchback to get to their home-and once the lake drops 10 feet they will have no lake water deep enough to fish or move a boat in. We are shaking our heads, and she is finding out about some major structure concerns with the home.  She wouldn't listen to any advice before buying, so we are just staying "out of it" It will be faster to visit them by boat so we will do that one day.

     His sister likes to drive all over-I don't like to drive anywhere haha  so I can see her and I may be doing some fun things together-exploring caves-Missouri has allot of them and there are a couple state parks near by as well. She already has a list 😀

   The town near us Laurie Mo has a Christmas drive through light show that I was curious about. Last year Larry was still recovering from his heart valve surgery so we didn't go.  So we all went last night. It was pretty cool and very few cars-a good thing as it was not set up very well on which way to drive around-a real mess actually but I was glad I got to see it.  His sister and daughter took photos with the cell phone.

  I am posting several photos so I have the photos smaller-just click on them for full size views.











There were allot of exhibits each one having a sponsor-I ended up with a headache though with lights all around the car against the blackness.  It was a pretty cool exhibit and am happy we got to see it.

   Friday I finished the second gift quilt early in the day so I could get it packed and mailed off to my friend. She is suppose to get it today (Monday) possibly Tuesday. I don't think she will visit this blog so will share a few photos.  I am really happy with the finish very cozy and warm, the fabrics are all quality quilt brushed or flannel cottons.  This one I needed to make and sew on a binding-and it went pretty well.

                        The binding



I guess I didn't get really good photos-I was in a rush to get this to the post office so it would arrive before Thanksgiving
      

The backing took me several days to get laid out correctly-there is a panel on both sides with the stars in the middle-and getting that to lay out even was a major challenge for some reason. 


Now on to my queen size quilt with some of these same fabrics for my quilt.

      I also grabbed my basket of civil war reproduction fabric hexagons to hand sew in the evenings-now that I have a new ott light that stands next to the couch. Some of you may remember this project. I started it a bit before we decided to move to the lake. I had put it aside also wondering if I was up to the task of this project-it is all hand sewing with silk thread for the top. Thinking it also needs to be hand quilted. I love these fabrics so am going to push forward as if I don't start soon my hands will not be up to the task.


This pattern was modified from an actual civil war era quilt that  found online. The design was off balance so a blog friend at the time that teaches and makes exceptional hexagon quilts helped me to design this pattern There will be Allot of two shades of browns to cut out and sew, but I think it will be a beautiful quilt.





  For my drink reference, I remembered that I had a bottle perfect for the season that had I bought a few years ago at the Aldi store. That store is now too far away to shop at. This was pretty good but very rich so I am glad that I had only purchased one bottle.



Are you ready for Thanksgiving? It will just be the two of us this year. The last several years we were invited over to a friends home.  I decided instead of roasting a whole turkey I would grill a butterball turkey breast tenderloin, along with a small ham-we love ham and beans for later in the week.  I will bake up a couple pies, make cranberry sauce from scratch-I always do- and a few veggie sides. We are still limiting our carbs so no starchy side dishes.

    Happy T Day and those of you living in the States Happy Thanksgiving

42 comments:

  1. You are ironing and have a view at the lake? Oh Kathy, I am VERY jealous!
    Lovely Christmas decoration in the public area. I do not know what is happening in Athens, if there is any decoration or not, because of the lockdown! Hugs, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha yes my room is very tight for the ironing board-and this is a small vintage one-so I thought-perfect in front of the lake view-I did feel very special.
      this was a drive in own cars light exhibit so those concerned with covid this is a safe option for celebrating a little Christmas
      Hugs back

      Delete
  2. You have done lots of quilting, it looks so good. And the Xmas lights are great, too. Enjoy your Thanksgiving, have a good week and a happy T day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember your civil war hexagon project. It will be awesome! I also make my cranberry sauce, it’s not hard...mykind of cooking. Turkey breasts are perfect for two people. We have them here often. I hadn’t thought to do ham with turkey, sounds great. It will be just us two this year too. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I already told you I LOVE fog, so I enjoyed seeing your photo. I like the Christmas light displays you got to see. The quilt you made for your friend looks fantastic. I like the fabrics you used for it. I like the hexagons for the civil war quilt, but not the idea of sewing it all by hand. Despite shortages, I was able to get all of the ingredients I need, to make my family recipe stuffing, which I always do the day before Thanksgiving. But I'm getting sad about the whole holidays situation, and not being able to see loved ones, because I don't want to unknowingly spread covid-19. I was even thinking of putting up some Christmas decorations early, just to try to do something to cheer up my sad spirits. Happy T-Day! (My post will pop out at midnight.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne, the fog is really cool here at the lake, I am soo enjoying our different lake views never the same. The amount of hand sewing is definately daunting for sure-I have the main hexagons all cut out-will do those first and then cut and sew as I go for the two browns.
      I was thinking of getting my little christmas tree out soon after thanksgiving-its a big chore to get to though-but I think it will life my spirits too-Happy T hugs

      Delete
  5. The view at your ironing board is gorgeous! That photo would make nice wall art. The quilt design is beautiful, well designed.
    First try making pumpkin pie ice cream on Thanksgiving, to have with hot fudge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sound delicious-I have keto vanilla ice cream churning now. I love pumpkin anything-my husband not so much lol
      thanks I love our view too

      Delete
  6. The light show looks like fun. There seems to be a lot in your area, I would want to go see what they are all about. That is an amazing view when you iron. Wow. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving. I think many of us are going to have small gatherings. Hopefully that will help with these covid numbers. Have a happy T day Kathy. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we don't get out much but this is known as a party lake-loaded with live music, food, bars etc allot of tournaments and such too

      Delete
  7. What super light displays-glad you were able to see and enjoy them!
    And oh my, how I would LOVE a water view from a window in our home...
    Your quilt gift looks beautiful and I'm sure will be much loved. Yes, it will be a quiet Thanksgiving for so many. Happy T day and happy Thanksgiving too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this light show was really something, had never seen so many in one display before. we are really enjoying our lake view very much-I try not to take it for granted.

      Delete
  8. We have two light shows in Wichita, but I have only been once to one of them. It was very well set up. You turned your headlights off and left your running lights on. You followed a certain path and there were evergreens that hid the displays in other areas. I doubt they will have either of them this year, since so many events have been cancelled due to the virus surging in our state. SO glad you shared these with us, because it was great to see how other places set up light shows.

    I agree with everyone else about your view. IF I had that view, I might actually WANT to iron. Well, I might WANT to, but that doesn't mean I would (grin).

    Your quilt turned out great. So glad you got it finished in time for your friend to have it for Thanksgiving. Maybe she will share some photos of it with you once she unwraps it.

    Your drink is certainly fit for the season. It seems like pumpkin pie seasonings are taking over everything. Your pumpkin pie cream liqueur actually looks and even sounds good. It's perfect for T this almost Tuesday, too.

    I will be cooking a lot of veggies, but no turkey or ham. I'm not fond of cranberries, but may make a bit of cranberry salad. And I plan to make some stuffing since I have loads of fresh sage and chives I can cut. Thank you for sharing this with us for T, Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This light show we had to turn off all the car lights and it was so dark in some areas we didn't feel safe since the area was hilly and winding curves. everyone was in their cars so we were all safe in our cars.
      I don't iron much any more When I was a kid my sister and I each had our pile of ironing to do every week-when I left home no more ironing haha but in piecing the quilt together ironing is a must for it to all go together nicer. I did enjoy ironing with this lake view for sure
      My friend received her quilt I was tracking it and let her know it was in her mail box-she is my author friend that lives near Yellowstone. her new home is in the foothills of the mountains in Montana so she lives really rural-she was very surprised. she said she would post some photos tomorrow-I will share some of those.
      We are eating lots of fresh and cooked veggies now adays, and very little meat at our meals. I never liked stuffing but I think I would like a cornbread type stuffing. yours will be good with your fresh herbs

      Delete
  9. Oh, that first pic is soooo beautiful again!
    And the Christmas lights!!
    Our Christmas Market got cancelled this year.
    That civil war-quilt looks complicated and will surely be very special and beautiful.
    The drink looks a tad... well, yes, rich! I can´t imagine the taste, but: Happy T-day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iris the civil war quilt not too complicated just allot of hand sewing and I will need to figure out the sides to make a straight edge

      Delete
  10. As a kid visiting my Mammaw in Mississippi during Christmas, would always enjoy the drive through fancy neighborhoods with all the lights set up. It was magical. Still love any sort of display with lights, any time of year. Your quilts are really lovely, a lot of work for sure. I can't imagine all that hand sewing. I've always wanted to do slow stitching but just don't seem to have the patience for it. Maybe one day. Have fun with your SIL whatever you manage to do. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. growing up as a family my father would drive us all around to enjoy all the lights-it was magical and wonderful
      I got the quilt bug-I still have allot of fabrics here in my stash of craft supplies-I made a wool quilt for me, and two gift quilts so far. this hexagon quilt will be allot of work-I am taking the approach one hexie at a time and see how it goes.

      Delete
  11. Wow, that fog looks so atmospheric! We often sometimes get fog coming in off the sea too 😀. Loved seeing the light display, so cheery and a lovely way to celebrate the holidays! Your quilt is so gorgeous, love the autumnal leaf edging and all the wilderness materials - beautiful! Have a wonderful time over Thanksgiving, your food sounds delicious 😁. I always make my own cranberry sauce too! Happy T Day wishes! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo the fog is really cool over the lake.thanks this quilt was fun to make and gift now on to a quilt for me. Happy T hugs

      Delete
  12. The light show looks great! Your quilt turned out really nice and your friend is so lucky to be receiving it. The next project looks fantastic too!
    We are not going to my mom's for Thanksgiving this year. With all of new COVID outbreaks we just can't take the chance of exposing her to anything. It will be the first time I haven't made it. It's really going to be tough on her too since this is the first anniversary of Dad's death. Hard on all of us

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. these are such sad times The vaccine is so close too and ready for distribution by our military, but the liberals are ignoring that fact. Do to our ages and Larry's health concerns we stay away from people as much as possible. Saying that his sister is here now at her lake home and I am going off to spend most of the day with her and her daughter. which reminds me I need to grab some sanitizer--stay safe and Happy Thanksgiving

      Delete

      Delete
  13. The light show looks like a nice display. Santa with the dog yanking down his trousers made me laugh and think of the old Copperplate commercial with the dog and beach baby. A lot of places have opened drive through Christmas light displays. We did one when the Eldest was at college when we drove out to visit. Very crowded, but well mapped out for driving. Your quilts are lovely and you do beautiful work. The hexi quilt will be beautiful. I like the unusual shape of the quilt blocks. Happy T Day and Happy Thanksgiving. 🦃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks CJ this is the first time I have seen a light show like this-and that one with the dog and Santa was my favorite. I am taking the hexies one at a time and see how they get completed-I should have done this when I was much younger haha

      Delete
  14. Autumn fog over a lake! What a beautiful view. I can feel it on my skin as I look at your photo. Cool! I've always enjoyed caves and have been to several in the Arkansas Ozarks. They make for fascinating tours.

    These seasonal drive-through light displays are perfect, especially now. We're having a turkey breast, too. We decided to observe Thanksgiving all month long and I had a different pie each week. I'll make spice cake for Thanksgiving Day. Happy T Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I love your idea of a different pie each week. this light display was pretty cool

      Delete
  15. Visiting your s-i-l by boat sounds fun. Yup, it's best to zip your lip in these circumstances.

    Your light show is very early, but it looks lovely. The quilt is beautiful. I love, love, love all the fabric designs and how you arranged them. I'm sure your friend will be delighted.

    Good for you for getting back to the Civil War era design quilt. It would have been a shame to let those very special supplies go to waste.

    Three of our neighbors are joining us for Thanksgiving dinner. We can easily maintain our social distance sitting at a table for 12 - lol. We used to have huge holiday gatherings. Either Thanksgiving or Christmas every year, we'd host 20 to 30 people. I just love this time of year. I made the turkey giblet stuffing and giblet gravy today, as well as mashed sweet potatoes. With a 14 pound turkey for five people, I look forward to lots of leftovers ;-)

    Happy Thanksgiving and Happy T-Day! Stay safe and stay well. Hugs, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your thanksgiving feast sounds perfect! I was gone all day long with my sister in law and we decided for her to come over for pie as she doesn't bake and her husbands loves homemade pies. I am happy I dug out this civil war quilt project I have more fabrics that I collected from this era so will be working on those in the future too.

      Delete
  16. Although I hate fog, your photo is very beautiful, and it looks very lovely in that setting.
    Your quilt is beautiful too. Your friend is very lucky to receive it. I'm sure she will love it.
    Ironing in front of that view! How wonderful! I think I'd be ironing every day!
    The lights are such fun. They are all very different. When we lived in the UK, there were lots of these lights in the neighbourhood.
    Hand made quilting with hexies. I used to do that. But the largest I've ever done was a child's quilt. It took me more than a year to do it.
    The pumpkin pie liquor looks very nice I must admit. I'll have a glass of that too. Cheers!
    Happy T-Day,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would never drive in fog any more now that I am retired but used to have to when I was working it is beautiful here at the lake.
      my friend received the quilt and was surprised and loved it.
      the hexies do make pretty quilts I hope I can finish this one. cheers-glasses raised

      Delete
  17. Ohh those are great neon displays. You quilts are fabulous and that liqueur looks scrumptious. Have a sip for me will you? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh I forgot. Yes, we are ready for TG. Having Manicotti.

    ReplyDelete

  19. I agree with others about your view while ironing. I could grow to like to iron with a view like that! It is great you got your gift quilt done and mailed. I am sure she will love it and treasure it. Lovely light show. Our lights don't start until Friday after Thanksgiving and I am wondering will they have it. Have a lovely T Day, and Thanksgiving. We are two, also for the day, same as everyday! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was a perfect spot for ironing for sure. Our light show can only be seen by driving through the exhibit in a vehicle so everyone is safe. yes it is just the two of us as well Happy T

      Delete
  20. Hey Kathy, long time no se! It's good to see you're still as crafty as ever and that you are photographing the fog!...:)jp Happy Thanksgiving (P.S. I had to change my blog altogether...don't ask. Now I'm https://wwww.agreenridge.com (was A Quiet Corner)...see ya soon!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The Christmas lights look so good :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit