Tuesday, September 24, 2019

I Am Trying a New to Me Craft

  Have you ever made a toothbrush rug or heard of it??

This has been offered as a class by different teachers at the Fiber U event I attend in July. Have not taken this class though.
     Turns out the teacher I had for my woven bracelet teaches it and makes beautiful needles from different woods. She sells them in her etsy shop here  Of course I decided to buy two of them-one curved and one regular with the large hole and I chose Ozark woods-ozark white oak and osage orange. I love tools-can you tell?? haha We have become friends on facebook-she is so helpful with any questions her students may have-so I have a teacher when I need one-love that.

Our pioneer forefathers made these rugs from recycled clothing. Back in that time period they would hand carve their own toothbrushes, and add boar hairs for brushing-when those wore off-someone decided to remove the worn hairs and carve a hole to use as a needle, and make a more pointed end on the opposite end.

Some still take old toothbrushes and carve them into the needle shape, or buy them.  Here is an article about it-the author I think was known to start this craft up again.

Most tear strips of old sheets, recycled cotton/poly clothing, or even denim or wool. I want to try wool first and make into a chair pad which I need two of.

As you know my craft room is full of reclaimed fabrics of all sorts. I think the men's cotton shirts I was using in quilts would work out well for this project too

  My Fiber U teacher sent me pdf's on the how to's  and also how to make a scarf with this technique using lace, beads etc-that sounds like fun too.

  I watched several videos, as I needed a visual-this one is really good for really seeing how to do this.  These are also referred to as no sew rag rugs. I do not crochet or knit-this is actually just tying knots to begin and then using the needle to tie on more stitches and make into any shape you want.



This is another good video with clear instructions


So that's me getting into a new project this fall and winter.

I looked on the Etsy site and searched for finished rugs that are for sale-here are a few of them so you can see how they look finished up

Oval rag rug Blue turquoise burnt orange neutrals. image 2

from here

this one is made with fleece
Fleece Toothbrush Rug image 0

from here
Toothbrush rug image 0

from here 

I think these look allot easier to make then the braided rugs.

Also I want to apologize if you didn't see your comments posted this past week or so--we were away about a week at hospital and then when we got back I totally forgot to check comments here in settings-sometimes they do not come into my email for me to approve and I need to visit settings to approve them to get published. I only thought of it because there was no comment from Elizabeth for T which I knew was not right-haha  there were about 10 comments waiting for approval-so I apologize for that.

11 comments:

  1. The rugs are beautiful. When I was a kid everybody had them - new things were hard to buy after the war, and people made there own from rags, and they were lovely. Have fun! All the best to hubby! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like what we call braided rugs. Is it the same? I haven't heard of a toothbrush rug. Yours is really fabulous Kathy. I think this is something I might like to check out. Thanks so much for sharing. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No these are not the braided rugs-which are actually more work and sometimes don't hold up as well as they are braided first and then sewn together.

      Delete
  3. Kathy, I tried this years ago, and I can’t wait to see how it goes for you. I can’t remember now why I didn’t pursue it, but there is no finished toothbrush project in my house. Lol. It was probably due to a lack of hand dexterity back then, but if this goes well for you I may try it again. I even bought the tool and instructions in a quilt shop, got excited and then didn’t finish. I remember I was going for the oval shape. But I know you will achieve this, and who knows? Maybe I’ll get interested again. We seem to inspire each other a lot! Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A new project for the new house. I had never heard of this, but it does look very similar to crochet. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very interesting. Of course I have heard of and seen and even bought some of these rugs, but didn't know there was different ways to make them or that they were called toothbrush rugs. I'm sure you will have great success with whatever you decide to make.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely technique for making rugs. Thank you for sharing the videos, Kathy.
    If you want, see my post here:
    https://craftartista.blogspot.com/2017/05/blog-post_38.html
    I made a rug using fabric knots on plastic canvas.
    I think you will like it because it is really very easy technique.
    Kisses, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had never heard of this. The videos look, well, not _easy_ lol but maybe doable... I have flat braided rugs in my house, but I bought them already made, not being very good at projects like this ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for these videos:) I will definitely get back to them. Limited experience here with hand hooked rugs, but these are really appealing! Great post!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was here earlier, thought I left a message, but obviously didn't. My grandmother used to make these, but she used a crochet hook. Looks like a good project for the winter months when you won't be able to get out as much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Silly girl, no apology needed...life is LIFE and priorities matter! You apparently are another talented blogger and those rugs look cozy!...:)jp

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit