Monday, July 16, 2018

T Stands for Tuesday & T's 5th Birthday Celebration

  Happy Tuesday everyone.

       Tuesdays are where we share a drink related post-only requirement is to show a photo of your beverage.
   This Tuesday is special as we are celebrating T Stands for Tuesday's 5th year with our hostess Bleubeard and Elizabeth. Thanks so much for hosting Elizabeth, as it has brought me  back to my blog and meeting new artist friends.
  I find it more difficult to find people that want to blog still so I really really appreciate and love everyone in the T Group

  To celebrate I have made us frozen fruit-yogurt popsicles 
In my blender I added a large container of vanilla yogurt and added lots of different frozen fruits-peaches, grapes, cherries, strawberries, mango, pineapple and whirled it all up til smooth. Yum really hits the spot for a treat during these continued hot humid days.








 I have been busy since last Tuesday. I had a few days of eco printing onto papers. If you missed my posts and care to view them:  this one is the summary of two different sets  After dried was quite pleased with the results.  I also did a day printing onto my own handmade papers-that was a so so success. I am thinking the tannin added to the alum acetate mordant for the handmade papers especially is too much in this case, and also the iron water is too strong as well. I will be rethinking that process. That post is here

It took me a couple days to remember what I had been thinking for the hand quilting on my own baby quilt (top made for me by my Great Aunt back in 1949) that I shared last week. I realized I needed to get back to the main center piece and get that quilted. I started marking lines the width of a yard stick and decided nope don't like that. I need to go back to the smaller width like I am doing for the embroidered small blocks. I get ready to start marking and see where I had left off doing just that ha ha.  So I am in the groove now.

Note: all of my photos in this post will enlarge to full size just click on them






When finished with this section, I will need to take off the frame and turn this quilt around to sew lines the other direction-but I will decide when I get to that but I think I will make wider sections.

I promised myself that I would start back on the hallway project this past weekend-and I did that on Sunday. It is a difficult section to work on as the light is really bad and I am working white on white. I am dreading the ceiling and wish I would have gotten to that last year-oh well-I will get this done.

Getting things set up to work and you can see next to the wall on the left is my beverage reference-my hot chicory drink in this cool little thermos type bottle.



This pillow I use to sit on the floor with-and those bags are filled with the tissue paper for this project. on the left is small scraps-I tear the sides so no straight edges- and the bag on the right is the tissue paper rolled into balls to crinkle it up for textures. I tear those in quarters



Sunday I got most of this lower wall done-sitting on the floor and working as far as I could reach


a close up of the texture-I use wallpaper paste to put it on


This is actually a fun DIY project-just not the ceiling any more  ha ha

  This comings Saturday and Sunday I will be taking three different classes at Fiber U This is a yearly event and my third year taking classes.
   This will be my first ever natural dye class as I am self taught from books and reading online. This is a 4 hour class here is the class description 


Dyes from Woods
(Beginner)

In this class, we will be exploring the various types of dyes, both native and historical, which can be derived from the woody parts of plants (including roots, heartwood, and bark).  Most of these dyes are considered to be light and color fast.  Many of them have fascinating histories.  Each student will leave with a notebook of samples
I also will be taking Rolags with Blending boards
class description:  

Rolags with Blending Boards
(Beginner)

This is a class for those who want to take rolags to a whole new level!  Make awe-inspiring rolags on the blending board using fabulous fibers like silk, bamboo, alpaca, corriedale, merino, mohair, firestar, tencel, Angelina, and newer fibers like mint, rose, mil,, banana and pearl.  This class teaches a wonderful, easy way to create beautiful, colorful rolags for spinning.  No previous experience necessary.  Bring your own blending board or let the instructor know if you need one.
    I probably don't need this class but wanted to fill the day with another class-and I want to see hands on how she is doing this.

Sunday is a 6 hour class 

Scandinavian Band Weaving – FULL
(Adv. Beginner)

The double slotted reed is similar to a regular rigid heddle but has an extra set of slots that are designed to carry the pattern warp separate from the background threads.  As you raise or lower the reed for each shed the pattern threads remain separate in the center of the shed making them easier to pick up or drop.  The background warp weaves a plain weave and the pattern threads float on top of the warp threads, a variation of pick up only much easier since the pattern threads are separated.  The original hand carved double slot looms go back to the early and mid 1800’s.  Although originally Scandinavian, you can create and weave any design you choose plus it is so portable.  Traditionally woven bands or ribbons were used as closures or in any place where a tie was required, for securing bundles for easy carrying, as closures or binding such as a babies bunting keeping him snug and warm to trimming costumes adding color accents to clothing and much more.  All materials are included as well as the double slotted heddle and shuttle which are yours to keep.  Weaving experience not required, but helpful.  Note: This is a 6 hour class with a break for lunch
I was looking for a photo and got all kinds of looms-but I think it will be something like this found photo online
Sami 2 slot weaving reed
   I have been curious how these beautiful hand looms work-I will be so busy busy taking classes over the weekend no time to shop-a good thing!! lol as my craft room is full to the brim. smiles

   I did make a couple atc's but I did not know that over time rubber cement goes bad-it refused to dry. I had made two of them for swapping but my favorite one I had to toss.  My second one I do like too though




Happy Birthday T Stands for Tuesday

35 comments:

  1. Thank you for the refreshing frozen fruit-yogurt popsicles, Kathy.

    I too enjoy our T-party friendships and all that we share.

    I don't understand yet (enough about quilting) to know what you're doing with your baby quilt. But - wow - what a wonderful handmade memento to have after these years.

    Your textured wall looks fabulous! I love your can-do spirit.

    I know you'll enjoy your weekend at Fiber U. I expect a report next week ;-)

    Happy 5th T-day Birthday! Hugs, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh those pops sure do look very refreshing in such hot,humid weather! Good for you to have the opportunity to take such a workshop series- I'm sure you will love it albeit the long hours. Your quilt is going to be so beautiful and very special indeed. Fun textured wall. Happy T day1

    ReplyDelete
  3. The froyo pops wouldn’t last in my house. What a perfect Summer treat. Your wall project looks amazing. Have fun in your classes. I’ll be looking forward to seeing what you make. Happ T Day. Stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are an even better host than I. I made NOTHING except ATCs for this celebration and u made Popsicles for us. Looks like you made enough for all.

    I'm so impressed with that wall. I would never be that bold.

    I am in awe of the fiber workshops you are taking. Although the last two sound wonderful, I will be picking your brain about dyes created from woods. You KNOW I'm a natural dyer and this sounds like something I would have loved to have taken.

    Thanks for sharing your busy dyeing and tissue hanging week, along with the classes you will take, and your hot chicory in your cute thermos with us for T this nearly Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am still studying and taking notes from your eco-dying projects...Great information. Much of what you are doing is a bit over my head, but I am definitely inspired by all you do. Thanks for the popsicle recipe; would be so good right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, hope you will try eco printing soon-fall leaves are coming soon

      Delete
  6. That wall hallway project is huge! I can’t imaging doing that. Although, I did wallpaper our whole house, not artistically like you though, when I was in my twenties, many moons ago!
    Enjoy your classes. And it is good not to shop. LOL. During my move I stopped shopping for craft things, simply because I didn’t want to have to pack it! Thanks for stopping by. Happy T Day celebration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi and this is the smallest section of our long hallway-I did the rest of the texturing last year. I have way too much fibers here so No I do Not to shop lol Happy T Day hus

      Delete
  7. My email notifications still aren’t working. I still have to manually go into my comments and publish them. Do you have blogger?

    ReplyDelete
  8. As always, you have been very busy. Love the band weaving. That tissue paper work looks like a HUGE job. The quilting looks great. Thanks for the popsicles, just the thing for these hot days. Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Val and this is the last smaller hallway-at last-I did the rest of the very long hallway and ceilings last year
      hugs Kathy

      Delete
  9. i would love to come to the dye class with you... hope you show us your results:)
    and how nice to make popsicles for the whole t-gang *g*!! have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that would be awesome if you could join me with the dye class-hugs

      Delete
  10. Oh yes please, I would love one of those ice pops, they look and sound delicious.
    The classes you signed up for sound really interesting, I look forward to reading about and seeing what you made.
    Gosh the wall will look awesome, a huge job, but it will look just how you want it to look when the job's done.
    Happy T day wishes Kathy.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to a whole weekend of classes especially the dye class. this smaller area of the hallway is the last of this big project. then we can tile the floor.
      Happy T Day hugs

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. What a wonderful idea with the ice pops !
      Happy 5th T-S-F-T Anniversary Kathy!
      I am impressed with your wall project! Simply amazing!
      I wish you much fun at the classes - they sound just great!
      I am looking forward to hear your experiences !

      Delete
  12. So many fun projects Kathy! Well maybe not the wall but it will looks good when you finish and there has to be satisfaction doing it yourself too. ANd wow-how nice to have a quilt that has some history to it. Your top is coming along nicely. And I can't wait to hear how your classes go. The Scandinavian weaving looks really exciting. That is the most exciting. I think I need to find a good art class to take. You've inspired me.:) Stay cool and happy celebratory T day. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good morning Erika, I do look forward to my classes this year as they are all very different-this year there were many to choose form too. we are so rural that is nice to have close by-it is a yearly event now every July glad I inspired you!!
      hugs

      Delete
  13. Kathy i never would have imagined putting tissue paper on the wall... to me it just wouldn't hold up...But my goodness it looks fantastic! Look forward to seeing the hallway finished!! How wonderful to have a quilt from all those years ago.. When hubbys mom passed away we brought some of her quilts home she made years ago but all but one just fell apart.. Thank you so much for the popsicle!!! Happy happy 5th Anniversary.. Sounds like you are as happy and thankful for the T party as i'am.. Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kathy, your wall looks amazing, I was wondering about the bags of papers until I saw the wall, it will look great when it’s finished, can’t wait to see it,
    Those popsicles look very refreshing, I should really try that as fruit is so inexpensive here.
    Looking forward to seeing finished quilt too!
    Have a great week
    Jan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jan, thanks
      good idea as you don't need allot of fruit in the popsicles and it will stretch the fruits for several servings.
      thanks for dropping by hugs

      Delete
  15. What a delightfully refreshing frozen treat! I've made these with oj but have never tried yogurt. Your wall turned out great, and I'm excited to hear about your fiber classes. I've enjoyed the contacts I've had through the T Tuesday blog gatherings :) Happy T Tuesday anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your wall is looking great so far! I love that you have that quilt and look forward to seeing what you do! I'm sure you will enjoy your workshops, always good to get together with others with similar interests! The popsicles look like a great way to celebrate - Happy T Day! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your frozen fruit-yogurt popsicles look amazing! I love these yoghurt treats and often buy them at my local store, now I'm thinking I should probably make them - yum! Looks like you had a busy week with the pretty quilting and the tissue paper wallcovering - amazing! The dye class sounds fascinating, I hope you have lots of fun and share your makes here on your blog 😁. I'm off for one of those yoghurt popsicles now, any excuse ...lol 😉. Thanks for the inspiration and wishing you a Happy T Day! J 😊 x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ha Ha your welcome for the inspiration-and if you don't have these popsicle forms you can use small dixie cups and put one of those wooden popsicle sticks in the middle

    ReplyDelete
  19. The hallway process looks very cool! It sounds very busy there, as always. Enjoy your classes, the dyeing looks especially good!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Kathy. The T party is over and the names of the players have been thrown in the pot. You have been paired with me. I will contacting you to get your snail mail information. Thanks beyond belief for making this a lovely T celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  21. the image of your baby quilt just took my breath away! I love hand quilting, and anything that is vintage...kind of startling that WE are also vintage!? ;) (my BD is 1954) so impressed that your quilt doesn't have any discolored areas...which happens so often with old quilts. Love it that you are hand quilting it yourself. A lot of work, but what a wonderful treasure! Those embroidered children done by your aunt are so cute! I'm always amazed at how many projects you are working on...the tissue paper wall looks amazing, and your classes sound so fun. Thanks for sharing your frozen treats for T day!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Kathy,
    Loving the texture you have achieved on your wall. It looks great! Your hand embroidery on your baby quilt is so pretty. The vintage children are beautiful. Have fun in your classes. The one with the loom look particularly interesting and fun.
    Happy Tea Day a Day Late,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Kate,
      thanks so much. I can not take credit for all the embroidery and hand piecing the blocks together-as this was made by Great Aunt back in 1949 for me--but never got completed and was found years later back in the 80s. so I am hand quilting it as a quilt now.
      I am excited about my classes this year-I think will all be fun- and all are very different too hugs and Happy T Day

      Delete
  23. Gosh you are so busy! That baby quilt looks really beautiful. I hadn't realized it is put on a frame (I have never seen quilting done).
    I really like the texture on the wall. Very special. Will it have a color when it is finished? or are you keeping it white?
    Your classes sounds really interesting. Although I doubt whether you are a beginner when it comes to dyes. I know you are self taught, but I am sure you have moved on from the beginner stage. The Skandinavian band making looks interesting. Have fun!
    Happy belated T-Day,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisca-yes you are right I am no longer a beginner dyer but I have not worked with woods-barks and roots yet so I thought this would be fun to see what she is dyeing with-I live in the woods too so probably have what she will sharing.
      Yes I am going to paint it-the walls a soft grey and the ceilings a touch of beige.
      Happy T Day hugs

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit