Friday, July 13, 2018

Updated: Eco Printing on My Handmade Papers-Mostly a Disappointment

I wanted to get one more day in of eco printing this morning. As I had told myself I must start back on the hallway project this weekend.

To tell ya the truth I was pretty leary about using my grass papers and my hemp-cotton papers as those took allot of hours to complete. However ya don't know til you try it and I really wanted to be able to accomplish this.

The handmade papers can not be submerged into water they must steam above the water. 
   To mordant them I brushed on the alum acetate-tannin solution on both sides-I worked on parchment paper for less handling. These papers are wet like when you squeezed the water out of them and pressed to ready for drying when made.
    I also soaked the leaves  in my 50/50 water vinegar rusty stuff solution-but for allot less time.
    The same thing happened though-as soon as they touched the wet papers they turned black-but ended up dark blue. I even thought I was using leaves with less tannin. So I definately need to re think what to soak the leaves in-perhaps leave out the tannin.

  I almost did not use the grass papers as they are full textures and did not have cotton in them-but decided on using 3 of those, 3 of the hemp-cotton, and my last corn husk paper

There are a few prints I can salvage by cutting them out-but for the most part got big globs of dark blue. Not sure how I got the blue, except I had pinched off a couple indigo leaves to print but then once soaked in the iron water couldn't tell which ones they were.

Here they are very wet out of the steamer

hemp-cotton



hemp-cotton


corn husk


grass paper 



I will update this post with photos after they dry-which I am hoping these papers will look better once dried

I have a question: I made two atc's for the T birthday party next week-I used rubber cement with tea bags and they are not drying-and ideas of what to do? thanks

Updated: photos next morning-dried

hemp-cotton   I am pleased with these for the most part




grass  still blobs mostly but I think useable for backgrounds


corn husk on left  grass on right


and one bonus parchment paper-it was on the bottom on top of tile-closest to the water


the twin fawns and mom stopped by last night




13 comments:

  1. Oh dear, Friday the 13th has happened to me too. There’s one big difference I’ve noticed between you and me, Kathy. When you get disappointing results, you try to learn how to fix the problem, and you try again. Me? I abandon my idea and decide to do something else. My post coming up will show that. Haha The thing is I’m older, so I don’t have as much time to figure things out. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Himself thinks you might have a bad batch of rubber cement as rubber cement is air activated. (Himself is a chemist) He said maybe you can try a hair dyer on low, but no guarantee it will work

    ReplyDelete
  3. You don't know til you try, right. I'm sure you'll still figure out a use for all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If the prints don't turn out the way you want, they could still be used as a texture element on cards. I've used some of the papers I got from you that way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, better dried! I usually like wet better, it not in this case. I especially like the first one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow - dried they are just wonderful! And the bonus paper looks fantastic as well! No clue about the rubber cement , I think this stuff needs just much time to dry- be patient!
    Happy weekend Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The papers look good to me, but dried out they look fantastic to me. I;m sure you will be using them to make amazing projects.
    I loved seeing the photos of the deer as well.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Yvonne-allot of these will make nice backgrounds

      Delete
  8. I like these results. I know what you mean about wanting to try though. Sometimes you just have to take that risk. The hemp papers look great. Hugs erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Erika, in the end I am pleased with these I will definately do this again but will do it a bit differently-no iron water

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit