Monday, September 4, 2017

T Stands for Tuesday & More Baking in the Dutch Ovens-Over & Under the Coals

 Hi everyone, those of you in the States hoping your Labor Day weekend was awesome. 
   The weather was perfect for us here in the Ozarks with Monday being the exception with the very hot temperatures and high humidity returning.

   T Stands for Tuesday where we share a drink related post, find the link in my right hand column that will take you to our hostess Bleubeard and Elizabeth.

     The first thing I want to share is the lovely postcard I won from Val. (oops should read Valerie) It arrived so fast in the mail I couldn't believe it and l love this quote so much that I was so happy to win this one. The link will take you to her gardening post that I really loved too.
    Sorry I did not share this sooner at the time I was immersed in canning tomatoes and relishes and forgot.  It has found a home on my refrigerator door so I can view it easily along with my Yellowstone magnets.

 Note-all photos will enlarge just click on them:    




  I decided for this 3 day weekend-although being retired every day is a weekend now lol-I would do lots of baking in my cast iron dutch ovens. 
   Saturday I baked up another lemon meringue pie and a gluten free zucchini bread. Both turned out really nice.
   Sunday ended up being a very long day out in the heat for most of it.  I have neglected the wheat and rye sourdough starters for a couple of months now and they both just needed to be fed really well and used. My original thoughts were to make rye bread and pizza dough for hubs. 
    I hadn't read the recipe the night before for sourdough pizza and it needed very little rise time so decided not to do that this time. 
     I ended up making two loaves of sourdough caraway rye bread and two loaves of sourdough cinnamon raisin bread. I was jumping for joy how well these baked up---well almost jumping for joy (smiles) as by the end I was really hot and my back was hurting a bit from picking up the two dutch ovens a few times-but all was good I enjoyed the day.
   However, I will not be following the instructions by Lodge on how many coals to place on top and the bottom of the dutch oven according to size and temperature. They wanted 19 charcoal on top and 10 on the bottom I really thought that was odd and not right but since I had not baked yeast bread before and needed 400 degrees f for the rye I did it--wrong-- the tops got too brown (not burnt) and the bottoms needed more coals--so no more following directions lol 

the sourdough starters



The sourdough caraway rye bread risen in the pans and ready to be baked



The sourdough caraway rye bread out of the dutch oven. this bread came out so perfect. I can not eat gluten but I had to take one small bite of this one (something I Never do)-it was heavenly




Sourdough Cinnamon-raisin bread-this baked up so well too, and smells divine. I was short one large and wide bread pan so had to settle for the next size I had-when it rose it went over the sides-so after baked I had to cut that all off to get the bread out-kinda funny at the time.




I won't bake two breads like this again on the same day in the dutch ovens-I started at 9 am getting the coals going and ended around 5 pm  I definately got too much sun-but since it all baked up so well was worth it to me.

Today-Monday, I have bbq baby back ribs on the grill. I just need to check on them each hour and then run back into the a/c lol it is extremely hot here today.  I was going to cook the veggies on another grill but it is just too hot-so "cheating" and will finish up everything else in the house.

Yes I am still spinning bison yarn-loving it, and still reading in the evenings.

For my drink related photo I am sharing my favorite yellowstone cup filled with my dandelion root-chicory hot beverage with a splash of cream and a slice of my gluten free zucchini bread- that was still warm from baking-with cream cheese-fabulously delicious lol 


16 comments:

  1. I am almost drooling over the keyboard thinking of those wonderful sour dough loaves, yummy! You do such a lot of wonderful things, you really are busy all the day. Glad you like the postcard. Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your breads are gorgeous! I've had trouble baking sourdough bread. I wish the computer came with smell because the photo of the raisin sourdough bread looks heavenly. Oh, man! Now I want a slice of fresh baked bread! Happy Baking and Happy T Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, you have made me hungry! Those breads look so yummy! Well done you. I still haven't made a sour dough starter. I intend to do it when I return home. (we are still travelling)
    Happy T-Day,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always enjoy reading about your baking adventures. You make me want to retire just so I have more time to have more baking adventures myself. have a great T day. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you put a lot of effort into bread you can't even eat. I bet your husband is happy with these, though. The bread all looks so good, and I would love the cinnamon raisin bread, I'm sure. In fact I've been craving it, but not sourdough, just whatever is at the grocery store. It all looks wonderful and very time consuming. Glad you followed your OWN rules for cooking these breads. They came out perfect.

    It's been hot here, too. It topped out at 97 F today and I am SO ready for cooler weather. Between the heat and the high winds, I worry about fires in our area, just like those running rampant in CA.

    Your zucchini bread looks beautiful and I really would LOVE some of that, too. Cream cheese topping is like the icing on the cake, so to speak. I'll gladly join you for a drink, but I'll have caffeinated coffee, please. Thanks for sharing your sourdough starter, your fabulous baked bread, and your dandelion root-chicory "coffee" with us for T this nearly Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well Kathy... everything looks fantastic .... way too much work.. but fantastic!! :) I did not cook all weekend... 'the boys' took over... Our visitor ... made us fajitas one day and hubby made his famous ' Son of a Gun' the next... we'll be eating on it for days!! I was just the chief bottle washer...lol Happy happy T day! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh my, it´s only breakfast time here and you make me hungry like a wolf! i think i would love to live in your household and be spoilt by all the things you cook and bake by yourself!
    happy t-day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your home made breads look delicious. I think I would be a bit greedy and want to taste them all. Adding cream cheese is a wonderful idea.
    My husband bakes our bread and has had his starter going for years.
    Happy T day wishes.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your Yellowstone magnets are beautiful and such a lovely reminder of your visit earlier in the year 😁. I think you are a master bread baker and the bread you made looks so yummy, I'd love to try a piece of that zucchini bread or the Sourdough cinnamon raisin bread, well I'd actually like to try both ...lol 😉. Wishing you a Happy T Day! J 😊

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow I can just smell those delicious looking breads! You certainly did labor on Labor Day weekend:):)
    Glad to know everything turned out so well after all that work. Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I nearly can smell this wonderful looking breads!You are such a creative woman!
    Happy T-Day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your bread looks wonderful. I haven't done much dutch oven cooking over hot coals but I do use the pot in the oven. It has been record breaking hot here in No. CA so I haven't been baking a thing - indoors or out. Fall is coming though

    ReplyDelete
  13. Everything looks absolutely scrumptious, Kathy! I admire your pioneer spirit - lol. It also makes a lot of sense to cook outside when you have the air conditioning on in the house.

    Happy T-Day! Hugs, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your bread looks soooo tasty! I've never baked in a dutch oven.

    Happy T Tuesday :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh My! I have spent the whole time while reading this imagining the smell of bread baking!
    I love cream cheese on fruit bread and can imagine it goes well with zucchini bread too! Glad you are relaxing in the evenings with your spinning and reading! Happy T Day Chrisx

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit