Sunday, September 10, 2023

This and That

  Good morning Sunday,

     Hello Friends, our area of the lake (on Lake in the Ozarks) is finally more peaceful this weekend. There are vacation type boats still but mostly fisherman. We watched a sailboat fight some strong winds-he was good, a long distance swimmer, and this morning a kayak. and surprising no squirrels for a few weeks-what a blessing that is 😀 they eat soooo much of the bird seed if we don't chase them off early mornings. The black walnuts are starting to drop from the trees now so I am thinking they are busy gathering for winter.

  I love hummingbirds and I have fed hundreds of them at the woods house, but here I have only attracted a couple pairs. I gave up with the nectar feeders this summer, as it was just going to waste. However the last couple of weeks they are here in numbers so I have three feeders out now. They usually begin to migrate mid September so I am thinking we are getting travelers. They are such a joy to see at the feeders.

   This summer we have seen many of the bird's offspring-blue jays, the various woodpeckers, cardinals, and many of the smaller birds-so fun to see them

   I have been able to get out to cut grass with the weed eater, I need to get back out there again though. So much to do in the flower gardens and other outdoor projects, I seem to be lacking the energy for it all-sigh  Thinking from the extreme heat and humidity this summer.  We did make a trip to the woods house too, still packing up Larry's scope repair shop-just a little more to do. A trip is needed for Larry to get the last of his shop machines and tools. Sadly not much room here for those at this home.  Hopefully an auction can happen soon.  Soooo much clean up needs to be accomplished there-grass cutting etc.

   Last week I grabbed a bag of fiber to spin-I know I had put it all away for a bit but I had run into another rare breed Karakul that I had bought around 2017 and wanted to check it out.  This one is used mostly for outer wear or rugs, the sheep's hide were used in the past as well. An interesting read about this sheep find here and here  and here too  The sheep that have been raised here in America are a bit different and have evolved into the American karakul breed

They have several different colors Most of the photos wouldn't let me copy and share, the horns are curved on these sheep






  


The fiber is coarse but very fluffy-bouncy


  I made us up our last root beer floats for the summer the other day. Finished up a batch of my homemade vanilla ice cream, added a little Hersheys no sugar chocolate syrup (sorry about the clutter in the background)


Happy New week everyone-Fall will be in the air all next week too here in the Ozarks -mid 70's F

19 comments:

  1. Kathy, around here we hummingbirds are called hummingbirds. I tell you that one of the ways to attract them is to have in your garden plants with bell-shaped flowers and you will see how they dive with their beaks inside them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Norma-Yes thank you this year I did plant allot of flowers for the bees, hummingbirds and butterflies-they all love them Happy new week

      Delete
  2. I didn't see clutter, I saw wonderful ice cream - yummy! Glad it's a bit quieter at the lake now, hope it stays that way. Enjoy your spinning and bird watching. Take care, big hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank ou Valerie,spring and fall are really lovely here at the lake. winter not bad either-no boaters then haha Have a good week Hugs back

      Delete
  3. I followed your links on Karakul sheep - such an interesting breed. I would love to see woven cloth from this wool.
    It has been a long, hot summer here so we are anxious for the upcoming fall-like weather. I know you are enjoying quieter days on the lake and your oh-so-deli ious ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought this was a very interesting breed too. this coming week we are to be in the 70's-perfect weather for sure. We could use a little rain but none in the forecast so far Happy new week

      Delete
  4. Root beer floats. YUM Never knew there were so many sheep breeds. I have a honeysuckle vine which the hummingbirds love and I love watching them. Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi I love root beer floats so I make them for us during the summer months. childhood memories for sure.
      we had a honeysuckle vine at our woods house, they love those trumpet vines too. we really enjoy the little hummers too Yes I am amazed too how many sheep breeds there are-love learning about their histories

      Delete
  5. My hummingbirds did the same thing. For awhile no birds, and then bam, there were so many. My feeder was going dry so fast. Usually by now they are gone. I saw some last week and I'll see what happens this week. And an addition is a big project-but a very exciting one. If you do it you'll have to share photos with us. It's much quieter here now too, but still feels like summer. And those sheep breeds are interesting. I hope you had a great weekend and a super week ahead. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Erika I wonder if the hummers didn't care for the extreme heat and humidity here-I did see some enjoying the flowers I planted for them. oh no addition here but rather an auction at the woods property. I am thinking all the resort type areas around water are much quieter after Labor Day so nice to hae the crazy vacationers off the lake smiles. You have an awesome week too-hugs

      Delete
  6. I don't put
    Out humming bird nectar it collects ants and wasps plus we have a bear problem here.
    But they enjoy my flowers.
    You have been spinning all summer you must have quite a collection
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes bears would be a huge problem for sure-ant just come with it-sigh yes I do have a nice stash-I will need to wash it all and they dye all the white yarn Happy new week

      Delete
  7. It's interesting to learn about the different sheep and their wool. I truly had NO idea there were so many breeds of sheep and sheep wool.

    Your root beer float looks refreshing. I hope they were. I bet you will be glad when you get everything from the woods house and decide what you want to keep and what to sell.

    I think our heat is supposed to break today. It rained, which helped, at least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elizabeth, yes the root beer floats were delicious I like to make us a few during thesummer months. we have a break in the heat too-finally, got allot of grass cut today. It is amazing to me too how many different sheep breeds they are. when I was buying different wools I looked for the heritage breeds too-a way to honor and learn about them.
      have a good week hugs

      Delete
  8. Peanut is a little offended ;-)
    Wow, you sure are busy!!!
    Cute pics of the wool-deliverers.
    Hugs to you and the lake

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sorry peanut- when the squirrels are here-they are out gathering nuts ow-there are sooo many of tem sometimes 8 at a time and they stay and eat All of the food they don't share haha

      Delete
  9. Kathy it sounds like you have so much to tend...always admire the energy you find to get things done and still be so creative. Our hummers left this week...will keep out the feeders for another week or so because some may stop on their way south. Will miss them. We had sheep when I was quite young growing up...ours were black face and white...none were like those you shared. Will go back now and read your links regarding them. Take care and have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit