Thursday, September 28, 2023

Back to Summer & It's Fruitcake Making Time-Updated

    Hi Friends,

  Wow we are back to the 90's F here again. Those couple weeks of no humidity and 70's F were just perfect for working outdoors. We got close to the 90 degrees F today but the weekend shows pretty warm and in the 90's.  I am thinking the lake will be packed with boaters-probably the last weekend many will have their boats out til next year May. especially the large ocean boaters who usually hire someone to winterize and store their boats-so we will get a break from those.

 We have been working most every day on the drainage ditch-still. My main job right now is going through the piles of soil and removing all the large rock and some of the smaller as well.  I will end up with much needed garden soil, and the ditch needs the rocks  Quite the job but the pile is growing smaller. 😀 Hope to be able to finish tomorrow.

  Today my back needed a break so last night I filled up my car with several boxes of items. to donate to the animal shelter's resale shop, and  I am in much need of jeans-so decided to shop as well.

   I was able to find a couple pairs that fit pretty well, and I grabbed one a size up bigger for working outdoors-the only pair I have now is pretty thin even with all the patches. I also found some very large well worn and comfy Harley Davidson shirts-great for in the house, and a couple nice tops. I tried on at least a dozen pairs of shorts and found only one that fit.

  There is a church nearby that is open on Thursdays with a thrift shop as well,  but I didn't make it there, as I needed to also stop at the local grocery store for a few items.  Our main meal is at 2 in the afternoon and the animal thrift shop doesn't open til 10 am

  Have you heard of Jello molds made in Japan? They are a china or perhaps ceramic with gorgeous scenes on the bottom. They also are set up for hanging. The animal shelter shop is working on clearing out-all the clothes were a dollar, and these molds were $8.00 each and they announced on sale today for a dollar. I thought they would be fun to make Jello in but once I got them home I could see these are mostly decorative.  So I hung them in my craft/art room to enjoy. They are really beautiful


I was thinking of gifting the one below to a friend, but since they are really made for hanging decided to keep it. Kitchen pieces from Japan are always so lovely


  I think once you mess up your back, and you still need to lift and carry items, and work on projects-it will just give you fits til you take several days off-right now we are fighting the weather clock so that's not going to happen for awhile So we are both struggling through. If it does not rain we hope to get back to the woods house next week one day. I need to check the propane tank, do some grass cutting around the house, and finish packing up the scope shop. Also we have some items to bring back. 

  Larry had picked up this gorgeous solid oak wood working table-if that's what it is called. In his shop he had set up his metal working shop and also a wood working shop.  I have a perfect spot for this piece so I told him I want it.😃 I don't think we will get much from auction sales with the economy the way it is right now. I started a list of things to remember to bring back. Time is running out too for getting an auction done before winter sets in.

  In my title I  mentioned fruitcakes-I know most in the United States make fun of fruitcakes and don't like them. Yes I know this cake is full of sugar and no way really to get around it but the recipe I use is so delicious, this is a treat for Christmas time and through the following year as well.

    I use a 1700's recipe for a dark fruitcake and have been making it most every year since my early 20's. Larry loves this cake as did his father. So last week I  went through my fruitcake ingredient stash and only needed to pick up a few things. I buy what I need at nuts.com as it is always fresh there and available now as well-nothing in the stores yet locally and I like to bake the cakes early October if possible. I also like to dip glazed fruit rinds in dark chocolate-so I made sure I had enough of those too.

  Happy Friday and Weekend!!

    Oh and I think most of our hummingbirds have left today-just saw a couple this morning. Will keep the feeders out for a couple more weeks-for those passing through. The pelicans should be passing through soon and the sea gulls have returned. 


Update: I did a little research online about these Jello molds-these two are part of a fall-winter-spring set by Himark in Japan. considered vintage made in the 1980's From the descriptions these were designed to be hung on the wall but they also can be used for baking cakes or making jellos. They are made of ceramic.

    Here is a photo of the set-found on Ebay   One of mine has the original hanger and the other one was just a thick wire. This set on Ebay was priced at $45.00 plus shipping.  There was also another manufacture in Japan Gailstyn-Dutton. The prices for just one seemed to start at $8.00 and went up plus shipping.   Most listings specified if the manuf. sticker was still in place-mine were.



29 comments:

  1. Kathy takes care of your back when you bend over, you must do it by bending your knees How beautiful are the gelatin molds! I really like candied orange peels dipped in chocolate. Affections from Argentina.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ,much Norma, I am mostly sitting down to work on the rocks, I have learned must bend from the knees-hugs we love those dipped chocolate treats too happy weekend

      Delete
  2. It's too bad it's been hot again, but it does sound like you've been busy. I want to try a fruitcake this year, but I always thought they were started later in October. Or I hope because I'm not ready to start mine yet. :) Take care of working in the heat, and that's a great mold pan. I have never seen those before. And happy end of September. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erika, I am not ready for more 90's either -ugh Yes you can start them end of october to be ready for christmas. I may not get to ours either til then with all we got going on. I like to have them "age" a few months at least before serving for christmas . I haven't ever seen these jello pans before either. I need to research these. Happy weekend I think we have another super moon this weekend too

      Delete
  3. Yes you need to rest your back for sure. Am not a fan of fruitcake with the liquor in it, but I do love stollen fruit bread. Those Japanese molds are pretty hanging. Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know-thanks, I have a family stollen recipe from a friend we knew maybe 25-30 years ago or more-I should make that this year it's really good- These molds are so pretty had never seen them before happy weekend

      Delete
  4. The moon is gorgeous here tonight. The temperatures are going to be in low nineties here all week, but I am not going to let that keep me from working outside. I made good progress today. I hope to have the gardens and beds ready for winter by the end of next week. I did see a few hummingbirds today, but most have gone . Yummy on your fruitcakes! Mary @ Hilltop Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The moon was amazing here too is another super moon. good for you getting your gardens in order-I am so behind on that do to these other projects we have going. I miss these little hummers already

      Delete
  5. 90F, ohhhhh, that is 32C, wonderful!
    ATM (05:20 a.m.) it is 57F but we might climb to 77 :-)
    You sure don´t need a fitness studio!!!
    Ohhhh, Harley Shirts. I sometimes miss our "Moped". She was one old, loud lady.
    Well done on trying so many shorts. I hate clothes-shopping!
    Beautiful Jello molds (never heard of that).
    We have Christmas-stuff (cakes and ALL) since weeks in the stores. So annyoing.
    Sea gull leave for the summer? Strange - and sad.
    I once saw sea gulls here at river Oker! In winter, too!
    Hope your weekend does not get too annoying with the boats, hugs to you and the lake

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't care for clothes shopping either-I pretty much only buy clothes from resale shops now-jeans and tops. I was hoping we were finished with the 90's hoping this is the last of it for this year.
      I am not sure if the sea gulls leave for the summer or if they are just in hiding do to all the boat traffic in the summer months. the pelicans do migrate through in spring and fall.
      I had never heard of these jello molds either-someone must have donated a whole collection of them as they had over a dozen different ones displayed.
      I haven't seen any christmas things-yet haha which is actually a surprise
      Happy weekend hugs

      Delete
    2. You clearly got the two pretty ones with Spring and Summer!
      Lucky you not seeing Christmas stuff this early. Not that I buy that sweet stuff anyways, but I feel sorry for the children. Back in my day Christmas-sweets were special as they came into the stores only shortly before the event!

      Delete
    3. I am really happy about these too now I am wondering if the fall and winter were there too-this was an in store special yesterday when they announced they were one dollar each while we were shopping in the store.

      Delete
  6. Pretty jello molds! I like fruit cake except for the calories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fruitcake is always so good, however much sugar or whatever is in it, I will conitnue to make fruit cakes for Christmas. And my friends here are all crazy for it! It sounds like you got some good bargains in jeans and shirtsy, and those molds are fabulous, so pretty on the wall. Give yourself a break now and then! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here Valerie, I grew up with my Mom making fruitcakes and when Larry found out I used to make them-I switched to a different older recipe-mostly fruit with just enough cake to hold it together sooo delicious especially after being aged. I even made me a gluten free version that tastes really good too-I just need to keep mine in back of the frig
      I am really happy I bought these molds-very pretty hanging on the walls in my craft room hugs

      Delete
  8. Great price on the molds. and you got some new clothes also so a win win.
    Sounds like you have been very busy lots of back breaking work.
    I love fruit cake but sadly I am the only one who does. My grandmother made a few every year and they were so good. You can not beat a slice of fruit cake and a cup of tea in the afternoon.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was amazing about the molds, Yes a slice of fruitcake with cup of hot tea or coffee is the best. I think those that don't like it have only eaten the store bought-and those are pretty bad. homemade is always the best.
    we had to quit early this morning our bodies said no more haha I have baby back ribs in the oven

    ReplyDelete
  10. My dear mum used to make wonderful fruit cakes ... happy memories.
    I like the molds.

    Have an enjoyable weekend.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good memories, my Mom always made fruitcakes too, thanks these molds are really pretty Happy weekend

      Delete
  11. You got a fabulous deal on your molds and they look gorgeous. I'd have purchased those for sure. Well done. I'm sorry you still have to deal with the ditch with your back and hope it's over soon before things get better. When I was a kid I hated fruit cake -- my mom always bought these "Claxton" fruit cakes that were sold as a fundraiser by the hospital each year. I didn't have any for ages and a few years ago someone brought one to book club. They were pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are so busy. 90° I would love that weather. It is always so cold here. The jello molds amazing. I have never seen them before. I too donate to the thrift store. They give a 20% off then I go shopping. LOL have a great day today and I hope your back is better.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's nice to read about what you're doing. I hope the weather will keep cooperating. We also have last minute stuff to do before it gets too cold. Ug-I don't think I'm ready for it. I love the idea of fruit cakes, and I actually like them in small amounts. I think they are pretty-so colorful. I think your old recipe is probably much better than the cakes for sale at Walmart!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure homemade fruitcakes are the best-especially a recipe that has been passed down or an older recipe. there are some monastery made by the monks that I have had that pretty good.
      today and tomorrow we have rain so a break from the ditch work although that slows the process down a bit.
      take care hugs

      Delete
  14. Wow Kathy, it's nice to see that nothing changes - you're always so busy! I hope you got the drainage ditch soil all finished and all your purchases sound perfect. Loving those Japanese jelly molds, the designs are so very pretty 😊. Take care and wishing you a very Happy October ❤️ . Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Jo, thank you soooo much for visiting. we have been busy busy every day this past month working on this drainage ditch--a couple rain days right now-but we need the break.
      I love these Jello molds too and had never heard of them before-Happy new month hugs

      Delete
  15. Hi Kathy! ♥ I love thrift store shopping. I try to go once a month, it's a special treat for me! ☺

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's amazing some of the great finds you can get in a thrift store! The jello molds are lovely and interesting. I think fruit cake is an acquired taste- I'm on the fence about it. enjoyed reading your post! Have a great week

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit