Sunday, September 25, 2022

Good Morning Sunday & a Little Catch Up (updated w/ photos)

 Good morning, and also Happy Autumn as it is now official that Fall has begun. We did get a bit of a cool down for a few days, we missed the rain but got lots of wind instead. At the woods property-that area got Lots of rain, so didn't get back there on Thursday-it would be a muddy mess along with very high grass to drive through to get to the scope shop.  I will be back there on Monday.

  We have already gone through 1500 coin size paper envelopes packing up scope lenses. I needed to order more this weekend. It's going well, we work hard for 3-3 1/2 hours before my friend needs to leave to pick up grandkids from pre school, and Larry doesn't want me there by myself so it's going slower than I want it to. Hopefully we can get lots done this week.

  I didn't get photos but we did find a father and son team to cut down two dead trees at the lake that would either fall on our house or most likely on our boat and dock. The father was a lumber jack out west so he is a professional. They are Native Americans so they enjoyed all my Native American themed plates and paintings, Larry's mountain man pieces too.  I think we found some new friends.

 The doctor visit went well, it's a long drive from the lake house, and its an area we haven't been to before-it's the main hospital for the lake area. The doctor was honest about everything, but he was clear what needed to be done is very painful would take 8 weeks or more to clear the pain, and doesn't have to be done yet. Larry is in so much all the time, more so now than before-so he opted out of this, I would have too.  Next month we drive to Springfield, Mo for heart tests and to see his cardiac doctor, which we haven't seen since covid-He has been doing video chats instead.

  My flowers are still pretty but many are dying back now. My zinnias and marigolds are lovely now. I have been collecting seeds from the calendula and cosmos.

My pineapple sage got so large, I think it's because there is a drainage spout for excess water nearby. It finally started blooming this week-it will be so lovely once covered in these red flowers. and here is Jan Berry's site for what to make with this plant here She is my go to reference for recipe ideas using herbs.




You can see the red blooms up on top to the left


The calendula is in the front-I am waiting for the seed heads to dry so I can collect them
Am very happy with the creeping thyme I planted from seeds, I will be able to take plugs from these and transplant to other areas


There is an area up on top of the driveway in front of a row of bushes along our driveway going down the hill. Part of it is the neighbors so I already talked with them about it. I killed off the grass, so now I need to dig that up add some soil, and decide what to plant there. Too many park there-not a good idea as they could easily go down the hill into our house if not careful. Hoping to get that area planted this fall. For ground cover thinking mints-they spread well and smell good too. Mine really grew so that needs to be transplanted to other areas. I will pick up some bulbs too for that spot.

  I did bake up a yummy apple-rhubarb-jumbo raisin crisp yesterday. Turned out yummy. I may bake us up some brownies today.


I did bake up gluten free brownies using King Arthur's mix (all natural ingredients)



 Hope you are all doing well, this week looks like another very busy one-need to take advantage of the nice weather.  Happy Autumn and new week from the lake

Saturday's Sunrise




  

29 comments:

  1. Fantastic photos, especially the last one. Hope all goes well for Larry! Have a great week, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your garden still looks very summery and beautiful. Both gf brownie and crisp look mouthwatering, Kathy. Hope all is well with the tests.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Angie-the crisp and brownies were delicious

      Delete
  3. Lovely sunrise, your baking looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much, everything was good hadn't made brownies in a long time-I added dried ranier cherries too

      Delete
  4. I love your sunrise picture over the lake. Great shot! Your gardens seem to be faring much better than mine. I am impressed with how fresh and green your plants look. I have been working the past three days in my beds and gardens taking out flowers that are dying back now. It is very dry here now and taking its toll on all the plants and pasture grasses. I have lost my gorgeous red bee balm ~ again! It really looks like a dry fall as there doesn't seem to be any rain chances in the long-range forecast. Hopefully, that will change. I love your pineapple sage, but it is much larger than one I had a couple of years ago. Your crisp and brownies look so good! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary yes this garden is doing pretty well, I have been watering them well once a week when we don't get rain. as soon as I can collect the calendula seeds when dry I can pull those out, most everything else is blooming still.
      It amazes me how a tiny little annual plant can grow into a tall bush-I love the little flowers on it. crisp and brownies were delicious-hadn't baked in awhile-hugs

      Delete
  5. I cut back part of the garden today. So much more to do. Loved all the photos and the yummy baking and glad you had the appointment and some plan. I hope the cardiac one goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can tell by your sunrise photo the air is cooling off. The lake smoke looks beautiful. You sound like you've been busy Kathy. But good busy, even if it is a lot of work. Fall is a great time to get some chores done, isn't it? Have a great start to the new week. Enjoy your yummy baking too. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope your hubby's doctor visit will be very good. It sounds like you have been really busy. The sunrise photo is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kathy! Lovely post.... Your garden is beautiful! Well it was 95 here yesterday so i cannot say Fall has really showed up here.. although this next week is forecasted to be a little cooler.. with lows actually hitting the 50's.. Looking forward to cooler early morning walks.. Your brownies look divine! I need to make a post this week.. I missed last week.. Take care! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we were 97 degrees most of last week, in the 70's today-nice and 50's in the mornings.

      Delete
  9. Prayers for good health

    Daylilies are good to spread. low, and keep soil in. The mint is a fantastic spreader. There's a lively catnip that has gorgeous lavender flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well darn i know i left you a comment.... wonder where it went... ?? uuugh Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep it's here, been gone all morning working at the woods house-just now checking computer-hugs

      Delete
  11. Yay to new friends!
    And sorry Larry is so unwell. I sure feel with you, having Ingo...
    Beautiful sunrise at your lake, awwwww.
    I´m freezing my butt off all day.
    Hugs to your and your beautiful lake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you-hugs I love the sunrises here at the lake, we have the perfect temperatures this week-mid 70's f

      Delete
  12. Hi. First I hope all is well with Larry. Your garden looks beautiful. Ohhh and the goodies too. Give me brownies any day. You asked how to can lettuce. I put a link on my blog for it. But here it is. Scroll down the page. https://beadwright.blogspot.com/2022/07/tadd-thursday-art-dinner-date.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we love brownies too-thanks so much for the link too this is new to me hugs

      Delete
  13. Wow, what a busy week you've had! Glad things are progressing well at your woods house, it sounds like you're getting lots of work done 😊. Your flowers and garden look so beautiful and I'm glad you made some new friends and that you got those trees all sorted. Sorry to hear about your hubby, wishing him well! Those brownies look so good - yum! Loving the mist rising off the lake too - Happy Autumn! Hugs Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much Jo, it has been busy here-I feel like I am driving to work again-haha I used to have to drive over an hour each way to go to work before retirement. It's tiring since I am not used to it. I have been very pleased with this garden for sure. the brownies didn't last long-smile Happy autumn

      Delete
  14. I am once again LATE to the party. Sorry to read about Larry. I am delighted you were able to find dependable help, though. Bonus that you made a friend, too. Two in fact!

    Your garden is looking wonderful. So much better than mime. I am going to visit the lady with the herbs, next because I am big on herbs, too.

    It has cooled to the mid 80s yesterday. Today may be high 80s. I'm definitely ready for autumn. LOVE the lake photo. Enjoy your week, what is left of it, dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow your still hot? we have been enjoying highs in the 70s with sunshine-perfect weather. I am very pleased with my garden so far I will need to water today or tomorrow-no rain here for awhile

      Delete
  15. Oh WOW, Kathy. I got caught up just reading the subject lines to this woman's soap posts. I read ONE post which is what is essential when making soap. She really knows her stuff. I will be visiting her site again. Thank youo for the link. You know how much I love making lye soap, and her recipes will be ones I will try te next time I make soap. THANK YOU, dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome-Jan's site is my go to place for soaps and making things with edible flowers and herbs. all of her recipes I have tried worked well-yes she has many lye soap recipes-have fun!

      Delete
  16. Your flowers look really nice, everything grew in nicely. My pineapple sage is blooming right now as well and the hummingbirds are having a blast - they love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much-I really love this pineapple sage-here it is an annual and will die back with the first frost our hummingbirds are loving the flowers too-thanks for dropping by for a visit

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit