Wednesday, August 10, 2022

Rain's Art and Dinner Date

 Hello Friends,

    Welcome to my post for Rain's Art and Dinner Date-link to join in my sidebar.

   I don't have any art to share this week, A couple weeks ago I had gotten out my watercolor postcards, and I had fun with those but didn't take photos. I used watercolor paints and also grabbed a few stamps-made them all different for my usa slow mail friends. For some reason the post office took forever to deliver these. Most took two weeks or more and at least one friend still hasn't received one. Have any of you mailed out the watercolor postcards with sleeves? and I did put the stamp on the outside on the sleeve per mailing instructions.

  I do have some foods to share though.

    I had found a pumpkin bread recipe online that I really like allot and have made several times now. recipe here I  love this recipe as it uses all the ingredients that I convert other recipes to-Bob's 1-1 gluten free flour, coconut sugar, coconut oil etc. I make two recipes of this side by side as that way I can use a whole can of pumpkin. The small cans are shy about an ounce or so but the breads work out well. I do like to soak raisins or other small dried fruits in warm water for a bit and then drain well and stir into the batter at the end. Another reason I love this recipe is that you just need one large bowl a spoon and a whisk.

    I did also learn that gluten free baked goods like this are not baked done until an instant read thermometer reaches 190 degrees f to 210 degrees f   This makes a huge difference for gluten free baked breads, and usually takes 10 to 15 minutes longer to reach this temperature then the recipe says.  I just put a piece of parchment over the pans so tops don't get over brown.


These bread pans I bought from King Arthur Flour and are designed for gluten free bread baking gluten free needs more narrow and higher pan for better baking


I cut these in half and then freeze all but one



  I also made fajitas last week, that turned out delicious. I usually use a flat iron steak but I thought I would use a pork tenderloin this time. So good.

   I sliced very very thin, and then tossed with adobo spice let marinate in the refrigerator for several hours.


I fry in a little olive oil in a very hot cast iron pan in small batches-remove to another pan The meat will be very tender this way


I also saute sweet peppers and thin slices of purple onion then toss with the meat I split a can of diced tomatoes and green chilis with the meat and also with the rice dish below


For the side dish, I cooked up sprouted brown rice, fried up chorizo, combine and added the other half of a small can of diced tomatoes and green chilis


To close I had a taste for my dark chocolate covered popcorn last week. I usually make this during the winter but it tastes just as yummy in the summer time too-smiles This freezes well too

  Grabbed my Grandma's enamel pan


This is the chocolate I use



I thought I had the recipe in another post but didn't find it-if interested  let me know and I will share it in comments


I found this surprise when I looked out our back door one day. We usually see these more in the spring


Thanks so much for visiting-Enjoy your day

29 comments:

  1. A turtle! Could it be the same one from last year? Your fajitas look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could be the same turtle for sure. I really liked the pork tenderloin made into fajitas

      Delete
  2. You always make so much delicious food. The bread looks wonderful! Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmmm, the food looks soooo gud!
    I still have peppers abd will buy meat tomorrow morning :-)
    Ingo sure can give me a tomatoe or two! (I am the boss on this sector anyways ;-)... as in I make him food for work)

    Popcorn I spice up with Tilsiter cheese.

    Cute visitor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would like this pumpkin bread as it is not sweet at all. Popcorn is fun change up the flavors-I loved seeing this turtle walking around again

      Delete
  4. Oh wow, Kathy. Your food always looks good. I love, love, love the chocolate popcorn. I like Ghirardelli chocolate best, too, but I prefer milk chocolate. Long story from my childhood I won't go into.

    Your bread looks SO good. I am always impressed when you bake bread. Nice to read you need special pans for gluten free bread.

    I have never cared for pork, even before I became a vegetarian. However, the end result is sure pretty. Thanks for sharing these, dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elizabeth, ghirardelli is my go to chocolate now adays, and I do keep a little bit of others around too. I love this pumpkin bread recipe it has a little bit of maple syrup too which keeps it moist. we the high prices of meat we are eating mostly pork and poultry. and a little beef when I find a mark down.

      Delete
    2. I used to walk the exterior sections of the store like Kroger and Safeway. I never went down the aisles unless I specifically needed something or was looking for something that was on sale. All the markdowns are on the meat, bread, and produce aisles, located around those areas. I was shocked when I actually went shopping two weeks ago. Eggs were nearly $4.00/doz and I about fell over. Cheese was out of sight, too. Both are staples in my diet. I may need to go back to eating meat (grin)!

      Delete
    3. yes prices have gone up allot couldn't get over the $8.00 for a pound of a brand name butter. as much as I don't like spending my money at wal mart-it's the larges store near me-and its a very small old wal mart-they have kept the wal mart brand prices down low. do you have sav a lot's they are discounted I don't shop their very often but they have good prices on dairy

      Delete
    4. We have a Sav-a-Lot but it is in a part of town where I don't shop. I went once and saw how much more expensive they had become than Aldi, where the prices are SO much better. I think the Save-a-Lot depends primarily on Food Stamp customers who live in that neighborhood.

      Delete
    5. I have never been all that crazy about sav a lots I know many like their meat but most of it is not prime. and they sell allot of junk type food that we don't eat too. they are building a new aldi store at the lake-but it's over an hour away from me so not practical I love Aldi stores wish they had an online option

      Delete
  5. The quick bread looks really tender and delicious. I want some fajitas for the breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. thank you Christine. the turtle always puts a smile on my face when I see him

      Delete
  7. And i'm the person going to 'stick it' to her post office for not delivering your Post Card!! Grrrr..... I LOVE pumpkin bread.. haven't made it in years.. Once in a while i would get in trouble that the center would not get done.. A little research revealed to me that it was called a Quick Bread and if the middle wasn't getting done then i probably over stirred it.. Lesson learned.. We often have fajitas out... once in a while i will make it at home .. either way it is ALWAYS chicken.. with peppers and onions and mushrooms,black beans and cheese and sourcream for me.. hubby likes guacamole.. Yours look yummy in the pan! We use low carb flour tortillas.. You? I've never had chocolate popcorn... but anything with chocolate i don't know how you could go wrong... lol I do have to say i'm not a fan of your chocolate choices.. Its milk chocolate all the way for me.. Anything else has a 'wang' to it.. i just don't like.. A turtle!!! We had turtles in Arkansas.. We were forever rescuing turtles out of the road.. Even snapping ones.. We would get a few in our yard too..I would write our name on their shell in Sharpe to see if they ever came back.. Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to there to see the discussion at the post office-smiles-nonsense that they sent it back with the right address.
      Larry introduced to me dark chocolate-its a healthier chocolate compared to the others and has a much deeper flavor-in my opinion haha I never had much chocolate at home growing up as my Mom never ate it. only chocolate I knew about was chocolate chip cookies.
      I love guacamole too, chicken would make good fajitas too. we mostly only eat poultry and pork and fish now instead of much beef. for me it has to be a corn tortilla, and for Larry regular flour tortillas-we cut back on carbs and sugars in other foods.
      you are brave to pick up and move a snapping turtle they can hurt you really bad if they want to. hoping you got some rain-hugs

      Delete
  8. Your pumpkin bread looks so good. And, the fajitas too! My guys like pork loin so this would be perfect for them. I use a lot of chicken too. I really think the slow down with the cards was that they were removed from the plastic sleeves and the stamp was cancelled by hand. There are faint markings on the sleeve but the stamp is clearly marked. I loved my hand painted card!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the stamps were placed on the outside on the sleeve so they canceled them that way. I was wondering if perhaps postcards were not considered first class mail? I will try sending these again.
      for the two of us I cut a tenderloin in half so we get two meals that way, and depending on the size we usually have left overs the next day too. I really liked the pork tenderloin for the fajitas-soooo tender too

      Delete
  9. The fajitas look very delicious. What a cute visitor you had!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks they were really good. I saw the turtle again today when I was pulling weeds in the perennials-fun to see him/her

      Delete
  10. chockolate and popcorn seem to be a great idea, both when it comes to taste as well as beauty. Last shot looka a bit like an abstract :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this chocolate popcorn is sooo good. it bakes up crunchy too.
      I hadn't thought about the steps being abstract-thank you

      Delete
  11. OOhh these breads may be delicous Kathy ! Would have a bit :)
    Your meal also looks so good. Love palomitas de maiz (popcorn) with chocolate, ohh it´s lunch time here, and it makes me hungry.
    Have a great weekend dear, sending big hugs
    Caty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Caty, thank you I really like this pumpkin bread recipe. Happy weekend for you as well-hugs

      Delete
  12. Well, you can post recipes any time ... your food looks and sounds so good and I am going to try several of them. I am also going to try the Gluten free recipes as I have friends who are on gluten free diets and they seem to feel it has made a difference in their lives. I love that you use the dark chocolate for your popcorn ... it is so much better for you and after you start eating it, it even tastes better to me ... go figure:) Lovely post with or without art you are very entertaining, Kathy :)

    Andrea @ From the Sol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much I appreciate your comments. this pumpkin bread recipe is excellent-can't tell it uses gluten free flour-so good.
      I only work with dark chocolate for the same reason a healthier choice--happy weekend -hugs

      Delete
  13. Yummy ... I enjoyed reading, there are some delicious recipes.

    Have a goog week, greetings from Augsburg

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit