Sunday, August 1, 2021

Garden Project Update & Wishing You a Happy New Week

   Hi everyone,

      With the extreme heat here I needed to take a day off from this project yesterday. This morning I didn't feel strong enough to move rock and concrete chunks, so decided to dig up the now dead grass-that I had sprayed a couple weeks ago. 

     Wasn't an easy job and the soil was super hard here-nice black looking soil but acted like a hard clay. So easier, to just grab the pillow I sit on and my short shovel and work that way-easier on my back too.

    I got allot done, just a little bit more to dig up, but after 6 hours of working this morning (Sunday) decided to get back to it tomorrow. If you enlarge the photo you can see better what is left to dig up-where the big bag and shovel is down to the big tree stump.

   The black railing in front is actually a gate that opens up from the railing down the stairs-really nice that this is here-as to the left front is where I want the outdoor cooking area to be in.


    This new week, since the temps will be in the 80's f opposed to 99 f degrees I am hoping to get allot of this rock and concrete moved, and to get that pile of soil moved around too-Looking like progress-loving that.

    I no longer have a way to compost easily I gave away a compost tumbler that I didn't think I would use-and it would have been perfect here at the lake house. So I have a huge bag and a small bag so far of the dead grass, may try to burn that. I did try to "sneak" some into the garbage can-they don't like garden waste materials mixed in with the garbage. and I do feel guilty not composting it-I have always had a compost pile for garden cleanups and egg shells-food scraps etc. Sooo good for the soil once composted down.

  The lake was super busy this weekend-boats everywhere with three rows of them going up and down the lake. Not sure what activity was happening this weekend, but it was quite loud. August will be very busy with lots of activities including Missouri's Birthday celebration into the Union.  

   "On August 10, 1821, Missouri entered the Union as the twenty-fourth state. Named after the Native American people who originally inhabited the land, Missouri was acquired by the U.S. as part of the 1803 Louisiana Purchase"

  We did enjoy a pretty sunrise early this morning-and the lake is usually very peaceful early mornings-love that.




Have an awesome new week and new month as well as we usher in August.

22 comments:

  1. Six hours is a long time to to dig in any garden at any temperature. I hope you had a nap this afternoon. What an awesome spot you have here for your flowers and veggies. I love the rock wall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary-Yes I pushed it trying to get all the grass dug out-had to save the rest til tomorrow. after our 2pm meal I have the olympics on in the background and am reading a book. I love this spot too as this gets full sun after 10 am or a bit earlier. I love the rock walls here too

      Delete
  2. That really is a pretty sunrise, and a lovely view of the lake.

    Happy August Wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Jan-we do get these lovely sunrise views out our wall of windows, and parts of the year the moon rise can be seen here too

      Delete
  3. Wow Kathy you are really into a project. I am sure it will be wonderful when you get it finished. Your photos of the sunrise are so beautiful. There is something about the sun coming up and reflecting on the water. Have a great week and don't wear yourself out. P.S. Yes compost is such a great way to improve the soil. Hope you find a good place to put a pile somewhere. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don’t work too much on hard ground in the heat, Kathy. It’s a bear. Ahhhh, lake living. Can’t beat early morning hours for peace and quiet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you do work hard there! And in such heat. Send some temps over please, we have but 57F!!! That´s no summer. Again.
    Beautiful lake-pics :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Iris, I can believe what a cool summer you are having-hoping August brings you warmer weather -hugs

      Delete
  6. Sitting on the ground is so much easier. I use a piece of cardboard, helps me slide around. Six hours, though, that is a lot of yard work in any temperature. Please be careful out there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I started doing that to save my back, and this short handle shovel is perfect too. I will thanks-was so delighted to work in cooler weather that I just kept going

      Delete
  7. Hi Kathy, you have got a lot of work done, you have worked very hard in spite of the heat. Please don't overdo it! The views of the lake are fantastic. Take care, enjoy your week, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Valerie-at least it's finally allot cooler for a few days. I am a bit sore this morning-but that's ok getting some exercise every day now haha

      Delete
  8. You've done a lot of work so Kathy. I bet you'll be glad to get the heavy work done. I have one of those compost tumblers. I can understand why you now miss it. Don't overdo it in the heat. Happy August too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Erika, I just never thought I would use it here at the lake house-with no garden space-but I could have composted down all the many leaves that come down and food scraps-I may need to figure out something that won't look bad from the lake side as boaters go by Happy August

      Delete
  9. Sorry I'm late visiting, but I have been cutting down my bamboo. Like you, I think I overdid it, but it was actually cooler outside than inside. I think we topped out at 91 F today, which is a godsend after 108 F high on Friday and 102 F on Sunday. Those were real temps, not "feels like" temps which were higher. Our neighborhood association is having a clean up on Saturday, and it's a great way for me to get rid of this horrible bamboo FREE of charge. Lots of work, but I would have that, whether I had to pay or not.

    I can empathize with your working long hours to get this project finished. I know it will be great when you are finished. Looks like it is nearly complete already. I am truly in AWE of your ability to get it finished. Not sure I have that much in me. Good for you, dear friend. I think it's time to put up your heels and take a break!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Elizabeth, I wanted bamboo plants years ago but Larry said no way-as it spreads like crazy and hard to control. so I can appreciate all of your work on that. we have never lived in an area with the free clean up-once a year. my brother lived in a city in Indiana where at the end of fall if you raked your leaves to the curb they would vaccume it all up and take to the cities compost pile-thought that was pretty neat.
      I am working slow so far this week I did over do it a bit with the 6 hours-but time is ticking away and would really like this area finished this month.
      Enjoy your week

      Delete
  10. Looks like you've accomplished a lot in order to do what you want to do. :) I keep a plastic bin on my balcony and am currently composting in it. Definitely hot enough here that everything breaks down rather quickly. Our nighttime temps are in the 90's. :/ Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hard ,hot work I would say. I am sure you have wonderful images of how you want your garden to be in your mind which is motivating yo,u but dont overdo it! Messing up your back will put an end to doing thatif you are not careful. I do think 6 hour stretches sound a bit much. OK kathy thats me being a busybody so rant over LOL! I am sure it will all be worth the hard work when finished. Beautiful sunsets and a fabulous relaxing start to the day to sit and contemplate this:-) Take care Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done for sticking at it, reading back to front I can see great progress! Love the peaceful scenes - what time of day is that please? Hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit