Monday, July 26, 2021

T Stands for Tuesday and Landscape Project Continues

   Wow can you believe it? Our last Tuesday and T for the month of July. I had a feeling when May for me just zoomed on by that the summer would go fast too-and it has so far.

   We are still into some projects, the dock is not finished due to workers not showing up-sigh, we so need to sort things out at the woods house so it can get on the market to be sold-but too hot this summer, I think we will wait til things cool down.  Speaking of hot we are in for another very hot week-closing in on 100 degree f a few days. So thankful we have air conditioning here, I never grew up with it-the price was a luxury back then. and I know many countries do not have air conditioning so I am always so grateful to have it.

   If you enjoy camping recipes or using cast iron-you may enjoy my recipe share for Cast Iron Saturdays. (previous post)  I am making this a weekly post as long as there is an interest. 

    And just for fun and since it's T Day,  I love to follow John Townsend-18th century cooking and baking so wanted to share his recent post-roasting and brewing coffee in the 18th century.



  A couple posts back I shared a couple videos of our landscape project. In the front, I am working on changing all the grass over to flower beds for the hummingbirds and butterflies especially.  Since that post I have worked around 3 hours every day, except Sunday, very early before it gets hot and before the sun reaches this area. I am sorting through rock and concrete. The concrete chunks (from the brick sidewalk project) will go into two areas to help catch rain water and to eliminate weeds in those areas. The rocks will go on top of the concrete. I also want to cut down on grass. I will need to find someone new to cut lawn next year as we are not happy with who we have now. Which is always difficult to find someone.

  A couple photos 

      As you can see I am working on a hill, the last couple days I have been sitting down and using a short handled shovel to dig through the piles. Much better for my back and more comfortable-not trying to balance myself on the hill. It slopes quite a bit beyond the front of this photo.


  I love this old tree stump for character Will set up something for water for the butterflies here.


I use my cleaning bucket for the small pieces. These two piles are rocks, interesting an hour south where our woods house is we had mostly really pretty and textured rocks. These rocks are not very interesting at all-but will cover the concrete chunks.


I wasn't sure what to expect from the plants I bought online. I knew they would be small but they are a little bit smaller than I expected. Very healthy and professionally packed though-netting on the roots-in the first photo.

   These plants-bee balm and lavender were suppose to arrive on Monday but surprise they came in on Saturday. I had called the post office if I could come and pick them up when they came in-otherwise the carrier doesn't come til after 2pm. So I was happy when the post office called me early Saturday morning.  These came from New York which I hadn't realized when I purchased them-a long time in the mail for plants. I ordered one of each color of bee balm and she sent me two plants each which was a nice surprise. The bee balm colors are red, purple and blue.


This is the medicinal echinacea which came from Missouri-they were packed very well too. I just ordered another set of three plants. Thought I would plant this clump all together and then the next plants same way


Here are the bee balm plants and lavender. I am excited to grow more lavender plants too.


  I have them in a spot outdoors where they are in the shade all day til late in the afternoon-I needed to bring them indoors once the very hot sun hit them as the leaves were drooping. Don't want anything to happen to these plants. (smiles) Update: I looked for a shady spot in the late afternoon today and found one-now can keep these outdoors.

  I also found goldenseal plants on Ebay-I was amazed at all the plant choices there-I had checked out a few online nurseries but I got twice as many plants for the same money from these Ebay sellers.  I have a shady spot that will be perfect for the goldenseal I want to eventually get. I love goldenrod (no this has no allergens like ragweed) so may look for a spot for that too-great dye plant for yellows, and makes a nice tea as well. I am mixing in useful herb plants with the perennials that will attract butterflies, hummingbirds, bees. Once things are set up to plant I would like to order ground cover thyme-it is so pretty and I can harvest the thyme as well-and should keep weeds down. I may wait til next spring for that or see if I can plant it in the fall. Zinnias really bring in the butterflies too-so will scatter these seeds around-and then in the fall collect the seeds for the following year-and there are sooo many kinds of zinnias too.

  Over the weekend I wanted to make a zucchini bread-I found a keto recipe that I changed up a bit. It baked up really well-I had used half gluten free flour blend and half almond flour-I don't care for the taste or the bake using only almond flour. I used a keto sweetener but I took notes that it needed much more. My husband doesn't care for breads like this at all, and he for sure would not like this one-flavor pretty bland even though I added extra cinnamon. I liked it though-now it is getting a bit dry so will toast it in a cast iron skillet to finish it up. Makes a nice break with coffee or good for breakfast.


The recipe was using keto chocolate chips, I changed that to raisins that I soaked first so would be moist


I fixed the not sweet enough-haha-with spreadable honey with cinnamon You can just see my water glass in the back left.





A few lake photos

    Those little tug boats move docks around on the water


A sailboat-the first one we have seen this summer so far


This is a huge dock getting moved and it has a wood roof.


Sunrise



A storm coming in


Another Sunrise-this more was a bit hazy


   Oh and the poison ivy saga is almost over. It took a week for me to stop being super nauseated from the steroids after I stopped taking the last two pills. My worse arm still burns-strange, but I am almost back to normal finally-this has taken a month so far to get over this bad case. I hope I never get into poison ivy again-I am spotting it here at our lake home in several areas.


Happy T for Tuesday and Have an awesome new week everyone

PS here is a photo of the creeping thyme



48 comments:

  1. You sounds like you've been working hard in your yard Kathy. Setting up new planting beds is always a lot of work, isn't it? But so worth it in the end. I hope you keep us updated as you plant. Your zucchini bread looks good. I'm disappointed my zucchini plants are growing so slowly I might not get any zucchini. Usually there are so many. I hope you have a wonderful T day. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes this area is especially hard work do to all the rocks and concrete chunks that need to be seperated and put in another place. I am looking forward to this being turned into pretty flowers and herbs.
      that's a bummer about your zucchini plants-perhaps too much rain, I needed to buy these which was strange for me haha. Happy T

      Delete
  2. Always so much work to do isn't there... and you are keeping up extremely well I might add! Love how you sweeten up the breads though I would like them just as they are:) Beautiful views of the lake activities. Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Linda, I do not like things too sweet, but this bread turned out a bit flavorless-thinking that was the almond flour-will boost the flavors next time. I do enjoy our lake views very much Happy T

      Delete
  3. What a great post….jam-packed with hard work, good food, and fun on the lake! For the first time ever, I ordered a few plants earlier on line. I was impressed with how well they were packed for shipping. I think you made some great choices with your plant selections.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, here it´s but warm still.
    Sad with your workers not showing up.
    Cool video, but really? They wore white trousers back then?
    And so many tools to roast coffee!
    Wow, you sure did some work and it´s the same all over - try to find good workers. Haha.
    Wow, those are a lot of flowers! The weather here was so cold I just let the plats that planted themselves grow. And they are so boring!

    The bread looks yummy. Oh, and sweet. But honey with cinnamon sounds yum! Haha, Ingo was searching for curry. He found 4 bags of cinnamon - I have no idea how they accumulated like that!
    Beautiful lake-pics, really, awww.
    Yay for that poison thing being (nearly) over, fingers crossed it won´t return!!!
    A happy T-day to you x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is hard to find dependable workers these days sigh
      I can't believe you have had such a cold summer-no fun at all. You may have liked this bread with no honey-as it was not sweet at all. I hoping the rest of this poison ivy goes away soon Happy T

      Delete
  5. Hi Kathy, it sounds like you are working very hard with the landscaping and everything, but I'm sure it will be wonderful when it's done. the flowers all look good, too. Your bread with honey looks great, I haven't had my breakfast yet. Interesting about the coffee roasting back in the 18th century, too. And beautiful views from the lake! Have a good week, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you I am glad you enjoyed the video-he has allot of very interesting videos about the cooking-baking back then enjoy your week-hugs

      Delete
  6. An interesting post Kathy! You've been very busy. Hope you get your dock sorted soon.
    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kathy, you have certainly been working hard in your garden, I've ordered conifers online once, they came through the letterbox, was we surprised, ha,ha,
    I love looking the photos of the lake, i could just imagine sitting on your deck with a cool drink
    Happy T Day
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that would be funny to get a conifer in an envelope haha
      It is very peaceful here early mornings in the summer time-we eat our breakfast out there and enjoy the birds and the quiet

      Delete
  8. First I want to say what a sweet abd generous thing you did sending that loom to Lisca. Second it's good to read that you are finally feeling better after your horrible bout with poison ivy and the steroids.

    You've done a LOT to prepare your yard for your new wildflower garden and those plants look lovely. I'm having trouble getting my bee balm to grow from seed, but I can't seem to grow lavender because it doesn't overwinter here. I've bought at least six different kinds of lavender and they never live past the winter. The plants I have purchased are larger than the ones you got in the mail, so I hope yours survive this winter, although your winters aren't quite as harsh as mine. Please keep me updated on their progress.

    I love zucchini bread and yours sounds good with the added honey. My zucchini is not doing anything except flowering. Like Erika, I doubt I will get any this year.

    Loved seeing the lake and the sailboat. It must be fun to sit on your deck and watch the boats go by. Sure makes it easier for you to do all that hard work in return.

    Thanks for sharing the coffee video, your new plants, your bread, lake photos, and your various drinks with us for T this Tuesday, dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh I am sorry your lavender does not winter over-mine always has thank goodness as they get larger each year too. I don't remember now which lavender this one is. I loved seeing the sailboat too-there used to be someone we saw that sailed allot when the lake was not busy. Happy T

      Delete
  9. I can't believe where July has gone either, it's was hotter here last week than usual but we have cooler temperatures now which is nice as no air conditioning here 😀. Loving your yard project, it looks like hard work with all those rocks. The views over the lake are beautiful as always. Happy T Day wishes! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know this summer is really flying by a bit too fast-so much we need to get done before winter too. I have been pacing myself but am determined to get this side finished. the other side has allot more rocks and will be harder to transport elsewhere. but one side first.
      we do enjoy the views here-Happy T

      Delete
  10. Happy T-Day, Kathy. What a great post full of very interesting things. Loved the coffee roasting video- so informative. Your breads look good even if they didn't turn out like you wished. Some honey always improves things! I bought some horrible apples last week and have been trying lots of different things to make them ediable. I think I will try them in some bread after reading your post. I may even make an apple/cheese bread..... Love the lake pictures - where do they move the docks to? Did someone repair them and they are taking them back? Love the slide on that one! I have never ordered a plant in the mail but may be trying it. I want some lavender! Hugz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was amazed at all the plants on ebay-and much more affordable too. allot of times these are older docks that get sold to make way for a new dock-docks here are very very expensive too.
      I visit the Townsend you tube videos often-great information and recipes too. oh that's a bummer about the apples-last year I bought a big box of peaches to can up and they were not edible-I did get my money back on those there was no using them. and apple cheese bread sounds good. Hugs thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  11. Whew! Just got up early and I’m tired now. Lol. Your long posts always do that to me! Lots going on there, don’t wear yourself out! The woods house sounds like a nice retreat, do you have to sell it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha I try not to make them so long but I guess I try to put lots in these T posts

      Delete
  12. What a great post! It is so satisfying to get all your garden ready and looking nice and welcoming for the creatures that you want to welcome. The plants look really healthy. How wonderful you can order directly from the nurseries.
    Your zucchini bread looks nice. Honey is always a good stand-by when things lack sweetness. Your pot of honey has cinnamon in it. I have never seen that.
    The photos of the lake are really beautiful. Especially the sunset/sunrise photos.
    Happy T-Day,
    Hugs,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisca I had never heard of this honey either and is is spreadable I found it at the Aldi store when we still lived at the woods house-I just opened it up to try it-pretty good.

      Delete
  13. I'm loving your flower plan, and less grass is also a great idea. I'll be interested in seeing how thyme works as a ground cover for you. I've got some in a pot but haven't been able to make it work in between the slate sections on the patio. I like zucchini bread but have never made it myself. You inspire me :) Your lake photos always have me dreaming of retirement on a lake :)

    I'm sorry you've suffered so from the poison ivy and am happy you're recovering. The woods house will sell quickly once it goes on the market. I remember your photos, and somebody will jump at the chance :) Happy T Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, do you have the ground cover thyme? there is a difference in the thymes-many to choose from now adays. it is called creeping thyme-will add a photo to this blog.
      you would love the views on a lake, or if a large river-we really enjoy all the different birds-we have a couple familes of hummingbirds now visiting the two feeders. this was a really really bad case of the poison ivy and then the steroid made me super ill-I am finally not nauseated a good thing haha Happy T

      Delete
    2. I've tried creeping thyme but should give it another chance. German thyme and another one I can't remember didn't work, but they're doing well in pots. Thanks for the heads-up on creeping thyme being the one I should focus on :)

      Delete
    3. your welcome-I haven't grown the creeping thyme yet but I grew another one at the woods house-that covered allot of ground but was not very pretty and it would die out in spots-I am anxious to try this one-good luck

      Delete
  14. After all your hard work your garden is going to be a beautiful spot for the pollinators. i was excited to see a monarch butterfly on the milkweed after planting it 3 or 4 years ago. Establishing plants takes a long time, but the Summer seems to fly by. Your zucchini breads look good. Himself’s plants have flowered but nothing yet. Maybe it’s just been too wet and humid. Glad to hear you’re better after getting into poison ivy. Nasty stuff. Take care and Happy T Day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you CJ what keeps me moving on this is the end result and I want to at the very least get this section done. I have tried growing milkweed with no success of them surviving, I think I will look into if plants are available. the summer does fly by too fast for sure. yes that poison ivy was the worse I have ever gotten into-Hubs keeps telling me I am old now ant that's why haha don't need to be reminded Happy T

      Delete
  15. Fortunately, you are already in a little better shape. The garden will be wonderful! A delicious looking pastry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes I am thankful I am in good enough shape to work on this project

      Delete
  16. I don't even know where to begin. This is a wonderful post full of live and food and fabulous photos. Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your creeping thyme is beautiful. I didn't realize it flowered. You will have a wonderful flower garden when you are done, with all your work you are putting in. It is good that you figured out how to be more comfortable on the hill as you work. My mom was always working and planting on the hill behind her house and the slope going down in front of the house. It was difficult work and upkeep at their home on Beaver Lake in Arkansas. Your sunrises are lovely. Thanks for sharing. Oh, so glad you are getting over the poison ivy outbreak. Happy T Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon, yes working on this pretty steep hill has been a challenge, it works better to just sit down haha.
      me too this was the worse case of poison ivy I have ever had.
      the thyme I don't have yet-but I want to get this variety for sure-so pretty and makes a ground cover

      Delete
  18. Glad to hear that the poison ivy is almost gone. I have never had it but my boys have and it is NOT fun.
    Your creeping thyme is beautiful. I lost several plants to sunburn this year. Your new plants are looking good. The rocks clearing must be hard work but I love that you are clearing space for more flower beds. And the water feature sounds lovely. I look forward to seeing the completed project.
    Happy Belated Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kate poison ivy would be horrible for kids-to not scratch-This is a photo of the thyme from online-I don't have any yet but will be getting some. this is a huge project but doing around 3 hours every morning I am seeing allot of progress so far the hard part is after digging them out and seperating rock from concrete-is getting them up the hill and in place

      Delete
  19. What a fun post! I have lots of that thyme-it is beautiful and doesn't mind being in the cow tank I planted it in even through the winter. If you have a bit of sun plant some fennel and milk weed-both are good for butterflies. Your bread sure looks delicious! Beautiful photos of your lake too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks I never thought of fennel will plant that and I am looking into milk weed plants I didn't have allot of luck from seed after transplanting at the woods house. good to know about the thyme was wondering if I could still plant it this fall

      Delete
  20. Great assortment of photos. That project looks like you're making good progress with it, although I understand only being able to work on it when it's not too hot. (Mowing my lawn has been sporadic due to the heat here, although it's not as bad as your temperatures have been.) Sorry I haven't visited much. My hand problem makes my hand strain quickly from typing. :-( (I thought I would be on the recovery side of things by now, but it is going slower than I expected.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne, I hope your hand starts healing faster-that is frustrating for sure. take care

      Delete
  21. Some great photos! I love rocks...and stones...I have a habit of picking them up and taking them home, like little orphaned creatures! I always say a stone is just a stone until you put it somewhere, and then its...(for want of a better word)...art! Happy T day! ((Lyn))

    ReplyDelete
  22. Zucchini bread for breakfast! You've done a lot of work. Arranging rocks is good exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a fabulous post! Your garden is going to look amazing when it's finished! I must have a g at Zucchini bread I keep seeing so many folk say that they have made some! Lovely lake photos as ever! Hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you I am excited for this project. I love zucchini bread-my husband not so much, but this one turned out really good

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit