Monday, December 9, 2019

T Stands for Tuesday & This & That

  Happy Tuesday Everyone,
Hope your start of the week has been a good one.

   I spent most of the day today working on the cushions. Got the sides sewn together-making sure the embroidery is in the right direction. When I got to pinning the second one to a bottom panel I realized I am one panel short-as I need two tops-mmmm not sure how I did that one-but I did recut a couple pieces so doing that I must have missed one, good thing I still have more of this jeans fabric.
    I am not going to mess with a zipper with these cushions either. My first set I put a couple coats of scotch guard on them and they stayed nice for many years.


In the past when I had first retired I made allot of recycled jeans and flannel shirt quilts for the those returning from the war, and I also made several for friends-I still had some of this thread left, and also still had a couple jeans sewing needles left in the packet too-for the sewing machine. It makes the sewing smoother going.
   I had needed a sewing machine when I retired back in '03. I inherited my late little sister's machine but it had allot of issues-but made for a good trade in. Larry was going to buy me a fancy machine with all the bells and whistles and I said no I just need a basic good quality machine-that's all I need. So he bought me a simple Husqvarna that has sewed allot of quilts for me so far. Now that I have my Mom's sewing table set up next to my big desk-I have an excellent sewing area-loving it!


I was thinking for one my new art adventures for next year was to try my hand at painting-totally out of my comfort zone for sure. Thinking starting with watercolors or acrylics. Searching online I ran into this artist-that sells classes online, she has you tube videos, books, blog etc. I am thinking of perhaps picking up one of her how to books-she has forest animals, ocean etc  here is a link to one of them
     Any opinions on learning this way?

                     


In my last post I asked for your opinions on what gesso you like to use-I thought I would post that question here too for more of you to see and comment on-thanks
   I thought I would participate in a mixed media or a journal page challenge next year. Good way to experiment with new techniques in my art. You all are influencing me to try something different besides only fabrics.

It has been turning windy and colder all day today-Just stepped out on the deck for this photo


This morning it was much warmer and the lake looked like a piece of glass-very still with reflections of the landscape in the water.

  Sunday I made a huge tin of cookies for our bachelor friend that lives on an island in the Keys (Florida)  I got those mailed off today. Now to think what I want to bake up for us this year. I will be using mostly keto sugars this year.

  In the mail today I got an invite for a free issue of Tea Time magazine-if I don't like it I just mail back the invoice and mark cancel-any of you seen the magazine? sounds like a nice magazine to read for a year. they have tea pairings, recipes, stories of teas looks like.

                       TEA-JA17-web


and speaking of tea-I have been enjoying many cups of hot tea this past week. I have decided I am not real fond of the flavors from the Stash Teas. I bought several, they have nice spices in them but no tea flavor is coming through. Sad because I love their tea bags-no plastics, no staples for the tag etc.  I have gone back to Bigelow teas for now-great tea flavors and no plastics.
 
   If you look through the wine glass in this photo you may be able to see my big mug of tea. I have not tried this wine yet,  though I have tried other wines by this winery and I love the label too.
    Will open it up tonight while watching The Voice.


Any of my friends reading this post, you are most welcome to join us for T-drop by our hostess Bleubeard and Elizabeth and link up with a drink related post (must show a photo of your beverage)

Happy T Stands for Tuesday!!
 

16 comments:

  1. You have been busy again, and got a lot done. Your cushions are coming along so well. I don't buy any magazines but that one looks quite good. Have fun with your online courses if you decide to do them. Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. The right tools and equipment make all the difference :) That does look like a good magazine. It's been years since we subscribed to a snail-mail magazine, but I used to enjoy them. That's a beautiful wine glass. Happy T Day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm all for a good working sewing machine without all the added "stuff" too. I've heard of this watercolor book. As for what you want to get it really just depends on what style you are looking to do. This realistic painting with watercolors personally I learned is not for me. I much prefer loose and abstract and so those are the teachers and styles I look for.I like the look of that tea magazine:) Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, sewing.
    Hubby has spent hours and hours (not kidding) trying to get the cheapy sewing machine work to shorten my jeans.
    The most expensive jeans already and it still does not work. I think the machine is not working but he won´t give up, reading instructions, trying, failing, driving me nuts even when I sit in another room!
    I feel so bad for him!

    Ohhhh! One day I want to write these words, too, "stepped out on the deck" - oh, wonderful!
    No matter how the weather is, this must be plain awesome!
    I so miss big water! Lucky you! :-)

    A magazine on tea, wow! Happy T-Day (and the wine would love our kitchen, we have a bull on the ceiling).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your cushions are going to look fantastic Kathy, lovely photos of the stitched fish.
    The magazine you were delivered looks interesting, I was think there would be lots to use on mixed media journal pages when I was finished reading it. I look at magazines thinking how I can use them later not whats in them to read. I think you would enjoy journals and mixed media . I loved your fabric pieces you made.
    Happy T day wishes.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a nice basic Husqvarna also. And then I bought a used bells and whistle one so now I have 2. They each do different things so I use them both. I love how your cushions are coming. Hope you have a fabulous T day and are enjoying the start of the holiday season. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful work and i love fabric art but not good at it myself lol. Answering your q about Gesso. I usually go for whichever is on offer and not had a bad one yet. Also recently bought clear gesso but not sure why lol. I need to find out what its best for.
    Happy T day xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. About exploring painting, I’ve never tried an online course. The closest I came was in college art classes where we were individually instructed as the prof wandered about the room. He always allowed for each of us to paint our own heart and mind, never instructing any of us in a particular way. It was amazing how the same still life was interpreted in so many different ways! Once in another class we were instructed to paint from a picture. I loved what I did, it looked so much like the original. But during the prof’s critique, I was crushed when he said it was clear I knew how to “move paint around”. But that it wasn’t really “artistic” unless I interpreted it my own way. Let your muse move your hand around! My favorite painting is one I did with a palette knife, no paint brushes, and extremely unrealistic, but with a suggestion of a landscape. Improvisational painting is what I call it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't know you could get special needles for denim. I could do with some of those. When I shorten my jeans (I am a very short 5 ft nothing) I have to do it by hand. Not a problem, but a shame if you have a good machine sitting there doing nothing.
    Your denim cushions are going to be so wonderful. Weren't you glad you had some more material! Now that would have been a disaster.
    Painting course? I thought you were going to dabble in calligraphy?
    That Tea magazine looks really nice. The link didn't work and the photo for some reason didn't appear, but I went on the net and looked for it and found the Facebook page (website =: not available).
    Have a lovely T-Day,
    Hugs,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm loving those cushions, they will look fabulous! It sounds like you are enjoying living by the lake and it looks like you've found some wonderful inspiration for your new painting hobby 😁. It will be lovely to see you at the Challenges too! The patchwork mat under your wine looks beautiful too! Wishing you a very happy T Day! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have been very busy. I think that book looks sweet for painting. The tea magazine looks fun, too. Speaking of fun, I like your blog background so very happy. Enjoy your T Day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I used to sew, and did okay with a no bells and whistles sewing machine, so I can relate. I never worked with denim, though: that material is thicker than the fabrics I used to work with. I do better learning from books (i.e. reading) as opposed to watching videos, but that's just me. Her how to book could be helpful. The lake water looks very uninviting. That tea magazine looks like it probably has nice photos, recipes, etc. I love that etched glass next to the wine bottle. Happy T-Day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. P.S. I forgot to mention that in case you didn't know it, Bigelow tea headquarters is located in Fairfield, Connecticut. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just stopping by to let you know I’m back online. Both my internet AND my phone were down. I walked to my foodie friend Sally’s to use her phone to call the phone company and Sharon who graciously left the message you saw at T time.

    I complained to the phone company that my internet often goes down on Mondays. I bet Sharon is getting tired of hearing from me on Monday afternoons. I asked the repair person what the problem was and he said “a line down the block had broken,” and after he repaired it, he came here and reset my phone AND internet lines. This was the greatest early Christmas gift I could have received. Yes, I’m doing a happy dance.

    I can’t possibly catch up with you at the moment, but I am simply grateful that you chose to visit and spend T time with me today. Thank you for that.

    Guess you read I got your card. Thank YOU. I've never taken an online class. I prefer to learn on my own, I guess. Happy T this Tuesday, dear.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are making me want to watercolor. I took that magazine for a few years. Loved it. You don't know what to do with them they are so nice when you finish. I gave mine to a friend. Let her worry what to do with them. I find it difficult to part with things. LOL Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Is there such a thing as a simple Husqvarna, Kathy? I thought they are the best! I have a Singer from Costco. So you can tell how much I know. Before this one, I had two secondhand - guess what - Singers - lol.

    I learn a lot of new art/craft media through videos - both free and purchased. We each have our best way of learning, but if I buy books, I leaf them a few times and don't accomplish much. I need to "see" people actually doing whatever I want to try or learn. If you want to go outside your comfort zone, acrylics are more accessible than watercolors.

    Tea Time magazine - how perfect for our gatherings. I don't even drink tea, but the custom and paraphernalia are really lovely.

    Happy T-day! Eileen xx

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit