Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Weaving with No Loom or Inexpensive Equipment

  Yesterday in my mailbox was my issue of Mary Jane's Farm magazine. I enjoy this magazine as it is usually full of information about things I didn't know, with good recipes and DIY projects.

  This issue was featuring weaving with no looms.

First was showing how to use a cardboard box to set up the warp and just use an old fork to beat in the weft. The were wrapping the yarn around the whole box-and then when done-you had plenty for fringe
  I found this tutorial online   I couldn't find her magazine article online but here is a tutorial I found also -they are really pulling in the side edges-you can avoid that with practice and not pulling the weft yarn so tight-just lay it in.

  I also found these videos weaving on cardboard:





Any of you that knit or crochet this would be a fun learning how to weave something and use up odd left over yarns.


  This magazine article also referred to a new book: Weaving Within Reach: Beautiful Woven Projects by hand or by loom by Anne Weil
    If you go online and search-the price of this book is all over the place. A nice review  here    Looked like it had allot of different projects.

 If you really enjoyed using the cardboard box frame the next simple step could be a frame loom.  There are many simple ones to buy or also how to make one

  I found this one that looked nice and not too hard to make and also here is a how to video on how to make a frame loom a little bit differently  weaving is an old form so all sorts of ways to do it.



and also I found a three part video on how to set up a very simple frame loom, and weave part 1  part 2   part 3 

this video is part 3 from above-gives ideas on lots of creativity in your weaving piece reminds me of the Japanese Saori weaving-anything goes




Hope this motivates someone to try out weaving.

16 comments:

  1. I used to do weaving on cardboard with the kids at school, fun memories. Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful instructional post, Kathy! I got into weaving every step of the way in your post, my husband even made me a great frame loom. But alas, it wasn’t for me as my aging hands rebelled against some of my creative efforts. I still have a number of my finished pieces on our walls and tabletops though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love weaving, Kate. I weave on a cardboard, but never thought that I could do it with a box. And, of course, I have my handmade loom frame. Hugs, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of making your own loom. Are you going to try it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good morning-I may do a cardboard one-just for fun and make the weaving very organic-I do still have my 30" 4 harness loom, and a mini sampler 4 harness loom too

      Delete
  5. That was interesting to watch. It reminded me of the potholders I used to weave at camp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost added that into my post-remember camp? ha ha I still have a potholder loom

      Delete
  6. Wow, clever ideas for making looms. This was a fascinating read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cardboard loom would give you a lot of leeway in sizing small pieces. I may try this, thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. your welcome-I love the simple cardboard loom idea-nice and easy to make

      Delete
  8. I couldn't wait to get here to see these videos, Kathy. I made a loom in November and was hoping to see how she tied the ends of hers off. However, I won't be using yarn, but fabric, lace, and twigs in mine. Unfortunately, I didn't learn much from part 3 of the tutorial, but I was SO grateful you showed how to make various looms. If you want to see the one I made, and have never used, you can go here:

    https://alteredbooklover.blogspot.com/2018/11/november-complete-and-december-2018.html

    and scroll down to the third photo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for this post, I'm sure many will find the videos of interest, and helpful too.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used to make the cardboard looms with my kids who are now in their 40's so it was a while ago. Thanks for reminding me of the memories :)

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit