Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Surprise in the Garden-Deer-More Finds to Keep

  Finally a day with no rain-however that returns again tomorrow-sigh -we are saturated here in Missouri as are other surrounding states.Flooding everywhere.

   I dug up those fire bricks that I used for my dutch oven cooking-baking, and gathered up outdoor grill stuff that I want to take along. I decided to walk around the garden to see if there is anything I wanted. I decided on the one iron bed headboard and will decide for sure if there is a spot for it-perhaps amongst the iris flowers or next to a tree. That Weber fire pit works out well for starting charcoal when I am needing lots of it for dutch oven baking, and the big heavy pot is perfect for ashes. Not sure on the little plastic seat but that does come in handy.


Of course this heavy grill is coming with-the guys are supposed to be designing a way for me to raise this up and down on wheels-that would be really nice as this is too heavy to move


   Here is the surprise though-do you remember these plants? Couldn't believe my eyes as these are not suppose to reseed here, so I walked to the back of the garden where I had the biggest patch-and wow some there too. I may try to dig these up and see if they will transplant for me.




These are indigo plants-so excited that they came back especially after a very cold winter.

Last night a bit before dark some deer stopped by. One was jumping up to bring the mimosa branches down so they could eat them.



I found more cast iron to keep-Hubs had picked these up real cheap at a flea market. I wasn't crazy about them as they are from China so the cast iron is not really nice-but he liked them for fajitas. So I worked on seasoning them this morning. Don't look at my dirty stove-living between two houses I have not kept up the cleaning here-figured I do a really good job when we are done moving.

There are two that say tobasco on them and three plain ones



And I decided not to put these heavy copper pans out for sale either. They need retinned which I don't know how one would do that-but they can just sit and look pretty on top of the cast iron rack shelving.


I am off to make up a big salad for us  happy Mid week.

14 comments:

  1. It rained here again this morning. I'm ready for some stretches of sunny days. That looks like a floor furnace grate! Mimosa trees are pretty but are a real pesky invasive here. The deer would be welcome to them if I had them. It looks like that shelving is going to make it possible for you to take more of the cast iron (and copper) than you expected. Y'all are working hard! Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the mimosa trees are really invasive here too-if you don't catch them right away they grow deep roots really fast that one the deer is eating was self planted just a few years ago. I do love it for the gorgeous yellow I get for dyeing but decided against planting one at the lake house.

      Delete
  2. You are always working so hard! Love the photos of the deer. Hope you can take those plants with you, that would be great. Off to bed here, so wish you a good night. Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I saw those plants, I thought it was basil, not indigo. How absolutely WONDERFUL. I know you'll want to take those.

    I'm sure you'll find the perfect place for your outdoor cooking. One thing I might add is, you might want to check with the local area about their fire restrictions. I wanted a fire pit, but learned they are illegal in Wichita, so got a chiminea instead.

    I can't wait to see what you do with the iron bed. I have one of those and am waiting for inspiration to take hold OR the trash collectors to come get it (grin).

    I think those Tabasco fajita pans are great. And DON'T sell your copper. It is very valuable and you won't get anywhere near what it's worth if you try to sell it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super photos Kathy, I hope you will be able to get your fire pit moved safely all those pieces look so heavy.
    The plants have shown themselves at the right time to move them, while they are young and tender.
    The pans looked awesome, I think I've said before it must be hard to choose what you keep and what has to go.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is difficult and we have not started on our out buildings yet yikes lol

      Delete
  5. I’m so enjoying your move and priorities about what to take. Cast iron is probably all going with you, right? I don't think I’d be up to doing all that you must. Just remember, it will all be history next spring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. PS...I agree with Elizabeth, the plants look like our basil. But you are the expert, not me. Also, forgot to mention the deer photos. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I quite like tht jumping deer. Good photo. The fire pit grate does look heavy and I am sure you keep finding things you need to remember to move. Hope you find a good spot for it at the new house. And you must be ready to move just to be done with all the the cleaning and sorting. Good luck. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've finally had a week with most of the days sunny (but windy) but today the rain is back. I like the outdoor grilling stuff you're planning on moving to the new house. The plants are lovely and I hope they transplant successfully. I'm glad to see you're keeping a few more cast iron items. (I know what it's like to have collections and not want to part with any of the items in them.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Downsizing is difficult, all those hard decisions to make. I hope you have an outdoor area for cooking at the new place. I hope your plants make it too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Saw all the rains and tornadoes moving across your state O-: How cool to be able to take some of your plants from you old home to your new. I love the jumping deer. Can't wait to see the wildlife you photograph at the lake house.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm guessing the deer have been after one of my Mimosa trees too. The two lowest limbs have been pulled way down. Hubby wants to cut them but I'll just wire them up instead. He doesn't like Mimosa trees at all.
    You just keep finding more and more treasures as you dig through things. :)
    How did you fair last nights storms ? It was really nasty here and we ended up in the basement for a while. Lost a huge tree limb on one of the giant oaks. The tree is dying so I guess it's time to have it taken down before it damages something. I was my favorite tree on the property. :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the deer photographs.
    The big salad sound very nice, I enjoy salads.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit