Sunday, December 31, 2017

T Stands for Tuesday Snack Recipe, Hand Dipped Dark Chocolates & Happy New Year!!

  Hi everyone, I am connecting this post to T Stands for Tuesday where we share a drink related post hosted by Bleubeard and Elizabeth. This is a wonderful group of people many of whom are artists and crafters, so I am also learning new to me things while joining in the weekly fun. Find the link in my right hand column




  Here in the Ozarks in Missouri like many in the States; we are experiencing very frigid temperatures.  I have experienced this cold more often when we lived in the Chicago area however since moving and retiring here we just are not used to this frigid cold any more, especially for such a long period of time. Being seniors now is a factor as well.
  Tonight through Tuesday afternoon we will be in the minus temps at night plus very minus feels like temperatures during the days. 
   Sooooo we are not driving anywhere til things warm up a bit-at our ages now I don't think it is even safe for us either. I am only bundling up to feed the wildlife and the birds.

  Well enough going on about the weather smiles.  

   I had not made a Chex mix snack in several years-so weeks back I had bought the cereals and I made a double batch a couple days ago. I froze a big bag of it to have some for later.
  This turned out really good-I changed up the recipe a bit. Most Chex and Cheerios cereals are now gluten free, Aldi stores sells gluten free pretzels and instead of peanuts I used pecan and walnut halves. at the end of the baking time I tossed in some broken up rice cheese snacks.

all photos will enlarge just click on them




Kathy's Gluten Free  Chex Mix Snack

1/3 cup olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoon Mrs. Dash Garlic & Herbs spice
1 cup nuts-of choice
3 cups Cheerios I used the multi grain
9 cups your choice of Chex cereal
1 1/2 cups pretzles

Measure out the olive oil in measuring cup and add the spice and stir. In large bowl mix up all the dry ingredients stir in the olive oil and spice. Spread out mix onto parchment paper lined baking sheets. stir every 10 minutes or so. Let cool completely before storing. 250 degree f oven for 1 hour.
  I did not want this snack to be super salty as many are, so no salt has been added. Also I did not want the more greasy butter version. I loved the olive oil in this.

 I had not made any of my chocolate candy for Christmas so I decided to grab a bag of dark chocolate melting discs, and glazed orange peels, glazed lemon peels, dried apricots, dried ranier cherries and dip them--yum  these freeze well too.






  Just a note-the dipped fruits will look prettier if you set them up on racks and let the excess chocolate drip below-you can remelt that excess chocolate I don't always do that extra step-no one seems to really mind.

   I made my dark fruit cakes late this year so they won't be at their best for at least another month. I did need to re saturate the cheesecloths in brandy and re wrap them all. Hubs tested one out today-very moist but they need more "aging"

   With these cold weather days we have been enjoying chili, and soups. Tonight I am going to make a pot of chicken noodle soup with veggies. I am also adding in two quarts of my own canned wild turkey with stock. Good cold weather comfort food. 
      I am going to try a new recipe tonight too-it is a cast iron skillet cornbread with fresh blueberries-sounds delicious.

The beverage I am sharing is a nice big mug of hot chocolate that I made for myself last night with marshmallows of course-   I still had a bit left of my own hot cocoa mix from last winter. It has powdered milk-splenda (instead of sugar) and very dark cocoa. I blend 1/4 cup into almond milk or any milk to make it more creamy.





I have owned this handmade pottery mug from many years now-I had purchased allot of useable kitchen pottery pieces from the early 70s through the 90s. For me comfort is a handmade pottery mug or glass.  Oh and the placemat shown is one of my own handwoven pieces-an overshot pattern. I wove this back in the 90s-I am so hoping I can find time to weave again this coming year.

  I wish you all the best New Year. We were invited out tonight but we are staying in as early evening promises to be -4 degrees f with -15 or more degrees f wind chill--no thank you lol  

16 comments:

  1. I don't blame you... I'd stay home too and infact we are staying home... Hubby has managed to come down with a cold and for the last two days i've managed to convince him to chill out and take care of himself.. So believe it or not its almost 2pm and he's napping on the couch downstairs all wrapped up... Sleep does the body good..

    Gosh Kathy you and i just have different taste buds...lol I have never cared for chocolate and fruit together...not even choc covered strawberries..lol Never been a huge fan of the chex mex mix...nor fruitcake...Now like you i have been making soups and chilis trying to keep warm .. yesterday i made beef stew and we'll have it again today... And lastnight we curled up with a cup of hotchocolate (SwissMiss) with marshmallow fluff on top...I adore your coffee mug... Pottery speaks to me too.. :) Happy New Year dear Kathy.. I'll see you on the other side.. Happy T day hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kathy, your mix snacks and chocolate treats look really good. Sorry you are having such cold weather, it's mild, wet and windy here. Happy New year and happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW. Now I'm hungry. Even the snacks sound delicious. And hot chocolate sounds perfect, too. My mix is similar. I use Hershey's cocoa and sugar, though. I also don't add powdered milk, relying on my 1/2 and 1/2 instead. But your mix sounds wonderful. I also love that pottery mug. I have seen many at craft fairs, but felt they were too expensive for my blood.

    Thanks for sharing those chocolate covered snacks, the Chex Mix snacks (brings back memories, too), and your hot chocolate with us for T this week.

    I also wanted to mention that today's HIGH is 8 F and the low of -11 F is predicted for tonight. So I'll be watching the ball drop from my sick bed. Since this is the last day of 2017, I want to personally wish you a safe and joyous New Year and a blessed, creative 2018.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are bitterly cold here in New Hampshire too. We are at 0 and it feels like -18. We often go to a New Years movie but not this year. I can't say it feels much like New Years Eve at all. But you've made some festive snacks, and I hope you have a little celebration and have a happy happy New year. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  5. Weather ditto what Erika said though I'm a little bit further south so I may be a degree or two warmer. Though below zero I don't think that makes any difference. We braved the cold this morning to run some errands and to get Chinese food for dinner. Tradition for my husband. To stay warm today, I baked cookies and am now baking bread. The snack mix looks good and the chocolates. I've also been drinking lots of tea in a new favorite mug The Eldest gave me for Christmas. The Grinch Stay warm and cozy. Have a very Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The recipes sound and look very delicious, nothing beats the aromas in the house, than those of home cooking.
    I loved your pottery mug, they always feel good to hold.
    I hope the temperatures don't drop too far although at this season of the year we expect low temperatures here in the UK as well.
    Happy New Year to you and your family, I hope that 2018 will be a good one for you,
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. The driveway is covered in ice this morning, so I won't be going anywhere until later in the week. I love chocolate!! Not a fan of peels, but I'd like the dipped dried fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love a good Chex-Mix snack but I never make it anymore. Not a fan of chocolate covered fruit of any kind however. We are pretty much staying in for this cold spell too. When I so have to go outside for the dogs I'm so bundled up I look like I gained 50 lbs :)
    The birds are emptying out the feeders rather quickly too. I'm out of suet so I'll have to mix up something fattening to help them stay warm.
    Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  9. the News here are reporting about the big cold in the US and Canada, too! i can´t even imagine These temperatures...
    your cookings and bakings look tempting... and always good to have a Little reserve in the freezer!
    happy new year, Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those snacks look wonderful, thanks for the recipes! I love the look of that hot chocolate too, it's the perfect way to keep warm with those cold temperatures you've been having 😁. I'm looking forward to seeing your fruit cakes too. Wishing you and yours all the best for 2018, may it be filled with love, peace and happiness! Happy T Day! J 😊

    ReplyDelete
  11. Keep warm my friend!Your mix snacks and chocolate treats look really yummie! WOW!
    Happy first T.Day of 2018!
    Happy New Year!
    oxo Susi

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bitter cold here too-and yes, staying in is the best! And you sure are making the best of it with all your baking and cooking. Haven't made chex mix in many years. Your chocolate dipped fruits look really yummy. And of course, this is a perfect season for warming soups and drinks. Thanks for sharing-and making us hungry:) Happy T Day and a happy New Year too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's cold here, but not that cold. We haven't had any temps below zero, but it's still colder than we're used to.

    Mother used to make the Chex mix, but I never have. That chocolate-dipped fruit is delicious, I know. I'm especially fond of the orange. I love good fruitc ake, but I have never made one. I don't see them in stores like I used to, but my husband found one for me this year. Not as good as yours, I'm sure, but still I enjoy it during the holidays. I've taken to making cornbread muffins instead of using the skillet, but I've never seen a recipe that called for blueberries. What an interesting change :) I always favor soups in the winter -so cozy and warming! Happy T Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven’t had Chex mix for ages. Now I’m craving it 😉, Kathy. My sister is very gluten sensitive, so I going to tell her to visit you for this recipe and all the tips you included. Who knew you could freeze Chex mix?!

    Your soup sounds great with your own canned wild turkey with stock added. You’ve inspired to get off my - umm – chair and go make some pumpkin soup as soon as I finish the T-party rounds.

    Happy New Year and Happy T-Day. May there be some weaving for you in the new year. Hugs, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had no idea what Chex mix was but it looks delicious! The chocolate in fruit is something I do know about - yum! We love our homemade soups too - hubby made a delicious butternut squash and turmeric one today! I think you are sensible to stay put while it is so cold - hope it warms up soon! Happy T Day! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my! I can't handle all the yummy-ness in this post! I am going to have to try this chex mix. And I love things covered in chocolate!
    Happy Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit