Monday, August 28, 2017

T Stands for Tuesday & Tomatoes-& More Tomatoes

  Happy T Stands for Tuesday everyone. This is our weekly gathering and sharing of a drink related post.
  Our hostess is Bleubeard and Elizabeth just click on the button in my right hand column to join us.

  If you have not seen my last two posts you will find my two updates with the corn husks papers-I am very pleased with the results-now to decide how to use them. 
    My friend finished harvesting the rest of her sweet corn from her garden and brought over a huge bag of husks. Since I am in the middle of canning right now, I don't have the time to play with these-so I went through them and saved a big bag full and put them in the freezer for later.

   Also on one of my last posts I shared my huge batch of homemade canned salsa. This batch turned out soooo delicious. I also shared photos of more tomatoes and peppers from the amish country auction that my friend had picked up for me last Friday.
   My friend had gotten me two heavy boxes of canning tomatoes-that ended up being so much nicer than the tomatoes I had bought from a different amish stand and were allot less expensive too.
   Sooo today was the day they were ready to can. I have never seen such large canning tomatoes that were not the roma or paste tomato variety that I am familiar with and these were solid "meat". I wish I knew the variety name of this tomato. 
   Yesterday I canned up 5 quarts of tomato-soup-juice. This tastes great and it is also a great base for tomato soup. I don't add any thickener when I can it. (first photo is of the tomatoes-garlic-basil-peppers simmered til soft then strained out and canned)
   Today I decided I could get more jars of tomatoes canned at a time in my pressure canners in less processing time too ( 10 minutes) opposed to 40 minutes in a water bath canner where I could only get 7 jars in at a time. I ended up with 3 canners today.
   I filled one canner with 14 wide mouth pints, and at the same time filled another canner with 8 more pints. I still had a few more tomatoes that would finish this project up so I decided to go ahead and process a third batch this time with quarts.  The quarts are now cooling down in the canner.
   I think my joints are already hollering at me lol  Extra  boswellia herb for me tonight for sure.

photos will enlarge just click on them






Where I live here in the ozarks growing a veggie garden that will yield enough for canning and freezing is a real challenge. Unlike where I grew up and lived in northern Indiana and Illinois where the soil and weather is perfect for veggie gardens.  About an hour or so drive away from us in different directions the ground is better and there are numerous amish markets or auctions for produce. I think next year I will rely on those more for what I want to preserve than trying to grow produce.

  Tomorrow I will check my cucumbers and see if I have a couple more in the garden to add what I have. I want to make one more relish with the cucumbers and banana peppers.

  For my relax time in the evenings I am still spinning bison fiber and loving it. I am also re reading Peggy Henderson's Yellowstone and Teton series of books to refresh my mind on the characters and stories before her last book in the series comes out. 
    She is writing it now while she is living in Yellowstone with her husband for several months-while he works on restoring wood work in the Old Faithful Inn. I think that is so cool to be able to live in Yellowstone for that length of time. They hike every day early morning and evenings I try not to ever be envious of others-but this is the exception-lol 
   I did just get a package in the mail of items that I purchased from the Yellowstone Forever store. A calender for next year, a book, another mug, and a lainard for a spinning gauge tool-so that made me happy dancing.

   For my drink tonight while I type this post-I am enjoying a coconut beverage-I really love this brand and they have several flavors. this one is molokai coconut.



  The bag is full of spinning fiber, and the drink is sitting on a book I just got in-making papers with silk.

update: here is a clickable link to the Leadmine Produce Auction with map

21 comments:

  1. wow that is some canning!!! I made my first attempt this week with making pickles (I'll share it next week)only because it was a fairly simple recipe and they are delish. Nothing like home canning, just wish I could get into it more...would rather have my hands in paints I guess:):) Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have been busy. My garden energy waned as the summer went on, but even though I got a nice batch of tomatoes it wasn't enough to can. Next year. Thanks for sharing. And happy T day. Erika

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have really been busy and the Salsa looks amazing. The cocnut drink looks great, too, enjoy! Happy T Day, Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to make corn husk paper, but I don't have access to corn husks. I looked at the grocery store, but all the husks are simply awful. On the canning front, you are a canning freak. I say that in a good way, because I wish I had your stamina. I got ONE tomato this year, but I've harvested herbs all summer. Your canning setup is awesome, and I love your six burner stove, although I don't like to cook on gas.

    Other than the fact I'm not fond of coconut anymore, your drink sounds lovely. Thanks for sharing your paper (which I saw in yesterday's post just now), your canning projects, and your coconut fusion beverage with us for T this Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i do not grow tomatoes myself (my husband has an allergy against them), but i totally can relate to your joy of seeing all These jars canned and promising reserve for the winter. worth all the effort!
    happy t-day:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow... this looks so yummie!!! I would love to taste your fantatic canned yumminess Kathy!
    Happy T-Day!!!
    oxo Susi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, you have been busy with all that canning, it looks delicious and I'm glad you found a supply of good tomatoes too - yum! 😁 How wonderful to live in Yellowstone, I have many happy memories of our visits and stays in the park. It's such a beautiful place and I think I'd be doing a happy dance if I received all those goodies in the post ...lol 😉. Wishing you a Happy T Day! J 😊

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your prep and canning is a lot of work, but having all that fresh tasting tomatoe for use in soups, stews, and sauces must be so worth it when tomatoes aren't in season. Store bought tomatoes taste so bland. I love coconut. Tried another brand of coconut water, but didn't like it. I've been seeing commercials for Bai on television with Christopher Walken. Might have to see if any of the stores around here carry Bai. Happy T Day

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kathy all that work is just making me cringe.... I know you seem to enjoy it but i don't envy you.. I've only ever canned some plum jelly a few years in TX and that was enough for me... lol It all looks yummy girlfriend... Happy happy T day! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gosh you have been busy. I imaging that you will be pleased to have so many own produced cans and jars to last over the coming months. They certainly do look delicious.
    Happy T day Kathy.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow Kathy! Your work so hard with your canning - but you will reap the benefits in the Winter! Just seeing your tomatoes reminds me of the day my Mum's tomato ketchup exploded in our pristine white pantry!!! Off to see you paper now! Happy T Day! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  12. you are amazing with all of the stuff you accomplish! I myself usually just freeze tomatoes, but didn't do any this year. I am sure we will miss the flavor of summer tomatoes when we use store-bought canned this winter!
    thanks for visiting my blog and your lovely comments. happy T day! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. so impressive! love your productivity and results! Happy t day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're the canning queen, Kathy. Three canners going at once and two of them pressure canners! Those things scare me. I overfilled one once and ended up having to re-paint the kitchen. Borscht all over everything - me included! Your results look and sound delicious. My mouth is watering.

    I like the sound of your Molokai coconut drink. The only flavored one in our area is pineapple. It's okay but I'm getting tired of it.

    Happy T-Day! Hugs, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love tomatoes, but I've never tried canning them. Yours looks wonderful. My potted tomatoes got some kind of blight last year, and I didn't try it this year. I like eating coconut, but I've never had a coconut drink. I've never used coconut oil, either, but it seems popular these days.

    Happy T Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Kathy,

    Wonderful job on your canning! I am happy to be back visiting again, as I finally have a computer (and house) again. I am now in Springfield (we couldn't find a rental in the country), so I am not far from you (I think).
    Can you tell me where those wonderful Amish produce auctions are? I would love some good tomatoes!

    Love,

    Marqueta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello so glad you got settled in--since you are set up as a no reply blogger I can not respond with a private email so I will respond here-hopefully you will come back and see it.
      this one is in Tunas mo named Leadmine produce auction here is a link you will probably need to copy and paste it https://www.google.com/search?q=leadmine%20mo&rlz=1C1GIGM_enUS583US583&oq=leadmine+mo&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i65l3j69i60j69i61.2390j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&newwindow=1&safe=active&npsic=0&rflfq=1&rlha=0&rllag=37834979,-92935379,2795&tbm=lcl&rldimm=4063399327747812624&ved=0ahUKEwjd3p6Pq_3VAhVJKGMKHTfnDeAQvS4IOzAC&rldoc=1&tbs=lrf:!3sIAE,lf:1,lf_ui:2
      they are just about finished I believe with most of the veggies and I think they are down to just two days a week now friday for sure

      Delete
    2. I also just put a clickable link in my blog to this for you

      Delete
  17. Homemade salsa is the best! I admit my husband makes the best you!! I'm enjoying your Tuesday posts series.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gosh you have been busy! You've done so much canning! What are the pressure cookers on the stove? Is that what you put the jars in to sterilize them? I have two pressure cookers. I assume you put the jars in water before pressurizing... I guess it would save time. I use a huge pan to boil the jars in. I can get about 6 to 8 jars in it where the pressure cookers would take 4 at the most.
    We are still travelling. At the moment though at our daughter's house,and she is busy today, so I have time to spend at the computer.
    Happy belated T-Day,
    hugs,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit