Monday, August 14, 2017

T Stands for Tuesday & a Little More Spinning

It's time for T that is T for Tuesday where we share a beverage related post with friends. Come join us, our hostess is Bleubeard and Elizabeth  find link in my right hand column.

   Since April perhaps a little earlier of this year, I have really been doing allot of spinning-almost every day. In my new spinning group I can see where many are spinning really nice yarn in no time-but I seem to struggle with it-trying different methods and spindles.
   I am not discouraged because I love the whole process-some I have started with raw wool. My spinning teacher on the spinning wheel last year suggested we must spin every day in order to improve and get better-I think this is the case with most ventures. I am just slow though lol
   I am getting better as I work toward a finer yarn-I am really not needing a super fine yarn-that most seem to strive  for-for what I want to do with it-weave using my handspun as the weft. When I look back at my handspuns from two years ago there is much improvement so trying not to be too hard on myself.
   
   I am just loving the bison fiber-so far not over spun, sometimes a little fatter yarn than I wanted but all is good. and I have changed spindles this week-the one I shared last Tuesday was just too slow-my spindle would not stay spinning for hardly any time at all and was constantly going back the wrong direction-I think it is the weight of that spindle. I did love the yarn though - my hands not so much.
   Sooo I have switched to my favorite spindle by Louet. I will show you another photo where this spindle that I have had for at least 30 years split at the top when I went to tighten down the hook-thinking I broke it completely I bought a new one.
    Waiting for the new one to arrive in the mail, I glued it down with gorilla glue-and works good. The bottom whorl-that disc on the bottom-is now made a bit differently

all photos will enlarge just click on them

  I don't remember what kind of stone this was-but I bought this piece to use with my navajo spindle-which is very long and the tip sits on the floor-this carved out stone works perfect with this drop spindle used as a supported spindle-the yarn not suspended from hand while spinning.



And my completed skein-loving it!




I am still spinning up the the baby alpaca too-working on getting this yarn a bit finer-these two different wools spin up so differently I have been switching between the two of them.



Here you can see my repair-gurilla glue on the hook to keep it from spinning around and the crack beneath it-very smooth so still spins great.



Last year when I was learning about supported spindles-which are great for very fine lace weight yarn- I picked up a couple of these vintage glass salt vessels-I don't remember the name for these-but are fun to look for. 

I have started texturing the hallway walls-same technique as the bathroom walls-tissue paper-wallpaper paste-and paints and glazes. I don't like using white for anything so I have been looking at paint colors that have a bit of color but light for this dark hallway-I think I have decided on a light grey
  I plan to hang vintage mirrors and art work along the walls




I was out of laundry soap so I needed to make that today. The hardest part-which isn't really hard-is grating all the bars of soap. 
     I was drinking several cups of my chicory-dandelion root beverage in my Yellowstone cup with cream during this project.


I just got the foam in to make new cushions for the dining room bench seats. The old ones are just starting to wear after 15 years-not bad-I had dyed (white) blue jean material at the time. In my fabric stash I still have yardage of blue denim so will make them out of that this time.



Last time I made these cushions I used recycled cushion material this time I needed to hunt down the foam that was affordable-ended up finding it on Ebay. I need to make two cushions.-This piece will be cut in half both directions to get the right size which will give me two extra pieces-I may just make some cushions for chairs with the left over pieces.

Since the cool down here I have started walking again-over the weekend built up to the 3 miles again. The bugs are still bad though even with spraying down my clothes well I ended up with numerous chigger bites-ugh--I bought some essential oils to make up a bug repellant I need to do that this week and will let you know how it works.

Next week I will share a new spindle that I should have by then. It is a celtic Scottish spindle that is totally different than anything I have seen before. and when you wind on the yarn it ends up being a pull ball of yarn-how cool is that?? So of course I need to try this out-fun!





Thought I would come back and add a photo of the twins-they were on their own tonight-no Mom





Happy T Day everyone!!  Enjoy your week.

20 comments:

  1. I know I must have said it at least a few times before but really, I want to sit by you and watch you spin your magic with those yarns-wow! Really interesting spindles too. Thanks also for sharing the twins again. Darling. Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've been so busy Kathy. I really love seeing your spinning. The bison yarn came out fantastic. I love the natural brown color it came out. Can't wait to see what you knit with it. :) Happy T day. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was SO impressed with your spun yarn. It was fabulous, and I was SO impressed by the way you created your own tags and marked it telling everything one needs to know about the yarn, as well as the date spun. That is clever thinking, and great organization.

    I bought a TON of ivory soap (like 12 bars) to make my own laundry soap. Never made it, so still have the bars. Now I must find a recipe for it. I'm sure I had it years ago, but can't find it now.

    I've bought some foam for my sofa cushion in the office. I bought 24" foam, but it quickly broke down. I got mine at JoAnne's with a coupon, but I was soon disappointed. I hope your foam holds up better than mine did.

    Looks like you are on a roll with your hallway wall. It's a great idea to use mirrors. They will bounce the light and open up any small area. Great choice.

    I've read that chicory is a good substitute for coffee, but never had it with dandelion root. Thanks for sharing your Yellowstone mug and this drink with us, along with your spinning and soap making for T this soon to be Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the thought of you doing such a lot of 'lost' crafts that most people hardly know any more, and keeping these old techniques alive. The wool looks so unbelievably soft, pity we can't feel it through the computer screen. Glad you were able to enjoy a nice 'coffee' whilst grating the soap. Thanks for sharing the pics of those sweet deer. Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always fascinating to read your posts and see the wonders you create. Such amazing ideas and workmanship.

    Have a very happy T Day

    Love Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, such a jam packed post this week with all your different projects and the adorable twins 😁. Your completed skein of bison yarn looks amazing and I love richness of the colour! Those little tags you add with the cute sheep are perfect too 😁. The texture on your bathroom walls looks a great and I can't wait to see the finished cushions for your dining room bench. Wishing you a Happy T Day! J 😊

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've been very busy. The yarns look so beautiful and I want to pet them. I tried making laundry soap, but it didn't do a great job washing clothes. Was fine for things like towels, but for clothes that had stains not so much. I switched over to Seventh Generation. I have an essential oil bug repellent that works pretty good and smells lovely. Let me know if you want the recipe. Happy T Day

    ReplyDelete
  8. You do such wonderful "old" techiniques! So very interesting Kathy!
    Happy T-Day my friend!
    oxo Susi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your yarn looks so soft :)

    We have some Kirk's Castile soap around here somewhere. It used to be all we used. I even used it instead of shampoo for a while.

    Happy T Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE your thicker yarn, I think they add so much more texture to a garment. I am fascinated with spinning, and would like to sit and watch you too.
    Looking forward to seeing how your walls turn out.......I'm not a white wall lover either haha!
    Happy T-day

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aaawww when i end up with the twins i say that mom is letting me babysit.... She must consider your house a safe house... and thats a good thing... happy happy T day! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think all of your yarn looks fabulous! I admire how you do things 'from scratch.' Making your own laundry soap!? wow. Good luck with the cushions and walls...you sure have a lot of projects going! Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am totally in awe of your spinning! What an achievement. So interesting to learn about the different spindles and the salt dishes you usemade me smile. Looking forward to hear how you get on with the celtic spindle.
    Great to see the twins growing so fast. Now without mum.
    You Wall is coming on nicely. Looking forward to seeing it painted in the color you have chosen.
    Happy T-Day,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh My! That Bison wool looks so rich! I remember my Mums trial with laundry soap - I don't think it lasted long. I certainly remember Chicory Essence coffee (I think it was called Camp Coffee) it had a slight after taste! I'm not a fan of white walls either! Happy T Day! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kathy, I didn't realize that you've been spinning yarn (off and on perhaps) for 30 years! No wonder I feel so clueless when I read your posts. Maybe if I had started spinning 30 years ago ... never mind.

    I love your yarns and descriptions of blending and all the tools you use. It's fascinating. That's the first skein of bison wool? It's beautiful :D

    Love the photo of the twins.

    Happy T-Day! Hugs, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  16. As always you have kept yourself busy, busy. Your yarn is definitely looking better ♥ I need to start making my own laundry soap again too. I haven't done that in a while. Just laziness on my part LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm late to the T party but I really enjoyed this post. I don't spin but I like looking at the tools used. You seem very busy and also very self sufficient.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm late to the T party but I really enjoyed this post. I don't spin but I like looking at the tools used. You seem very busy and also very self sufficient.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I so enjoyed reading about your yarn spinning process. I also love your soap making.....glad to hear you are walking again. I can't wait for fall!!! We were 101 today!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit