Monday, July 24, 2017

T Stands for Tuesday and More Fiber Adventure

Good Morning All,
     Tuesdays is the day when our T Party group posts a beverage related page a great way to share and visit with friends. Please join us-link button on my right hand column here.

   Wow it has been a scorcher this past week-we even hit an actual temperature of 102 F on friday with feels like temps of 115F.  So this morning when I did not hear the a/c on I was doing a happy dance and smiling. The rain did not arrive as promised earlier but we welcome this "cool down" lower 90s instead of upper 90s and into the 100's  Ok enough of the weather lol  
    It is the topic around here as we were expecting a hot summer as we have not had this in a few years now-which is probably actually the norm for this area. They are also predicting a rough and cold winter too-even the propane gas company has raised their prices considerably over the last few years predicting a cold one.(we prepay the propane gas fills for the winter months)

   In the garden I got a nice surprise last week 3 very large roma tomatoes, long beans, and one giant zucchini which I hadn't seen growing  So that was fun. My little garden is now in a semi shaded area-two large oak trees on either side of it-which helps the garden during hot summers with no rain. My soaker hose is working out well too.

  Over the weekend I got out my Ashford Blending board which is allot of fun to use. Last year when I had my romney locks all carded out with the flick carder (a small one handed carder) I blended that with many odds and ends of fibers I had around-I loved the yarn that came from that-hope to be doing allot of weaving this fall and winter.
   I had in my mind to make roving with the bison and baby alpaca roving. It was just too soft though and didn't work well for me. So I decided to make rolags for spinning instead. It came together much nicer.  Here is a video on  the process  
   I need to get my spinning wheel put back together, do some practice on it again and see how these rolags spin up. I think the two tone color will spin up nicely but was not what I was going for in my mind. I think I will also blend some bison with an alpaca also brown tones but not as soft and see how that comes out too.
(all photos will enlarge just click on them)

Baby Alpaca on the left and bison fiber on the right-which is really not that dark color in the back but looks like the color next to the creamy alpaca.



My blending board-all set up on the floor to work


Blending board with layers of fiber 


Photo of the rolag that came off the bottom of board



A wicker basket getting filled up with my rolags, the looser ones are my first attempts, the little bag in the back is something I had made using recycled wool a little embroidery and filled with dried herbs to keep the moths away.  I need to make more of those-were fun to make



This past week I have been drinking lots of ice tea. My new recipe was filling up a 2 quart container and brewing up an herbal raspberry tea and then adding a packet of crystal light pink lemonade-really refreshing.

  For a change of pace this morning I am drinking an iced V8 with veggies and fruit.




Happy T Day Everyone.

   
Update photo: had to try to spin this

19 comments:

  1. Glad it's a bit cooler, it must be such a relief although compared to our temperatures here in the UK it's still seems hot... lol 😁. What a lovely surprise to discover those veggies and I bet they taste delicious. I enjoyed seeing how you made the rolags, the process must be so therapeutic using the blending board and roving - fascinating! Wishing you a very Happy T Day! J 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. A scorching week here in the NE as well! I still miss drop-spindling, but reading about what you are doing helps. I have a good amount of white alpaca to use, maybe someday. I like your pretty color-co,boned rolags, they will spin up beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOvely to read about your spinning, the wool looks so soft and beautiful, pity we don't yet have feel computers. We had very hot weather here, but right now it's cool and very wet, I like it! Enjoy your cold drinks, happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes, I hope you stay cool in that heat! I'm glad the temps dropped a little bit today and glad that your garden is thriving, too. Homegrown veggies always taste the best.

    I had no idea that bison hair could be used in fiber art. The bison is my favorite animal, so that was really interesting to see.

    Take care and have a good T-Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I make fruity ice tea all summer but never thought of adding crystal light to it. Thanks for a good suggestion. And I enjoyed seeing your wool photos as I am only slightly familiar with spinning and I love learning new things. Happy T day. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would have been here sooner, but the electricity went out on my block for about five hours. The electric company finally got it back on, but trying to sit in the hot dark is not my idea of fun. The weather people were out measuring temps with their meters and the temp at the baseball stadium was 146 F on the seats and 129 F on shaded concrete. The game was not postponed, but some people decided not to show because it was so hot. I was just glad I got my AC back on. Like you, the weather is about all we talk about. It's on everyone's mind and in every conversation.

    I enjoyed reading about your romas. I've had no tomatoes this year. I'm not sure why. Maybe because they aren't getting enough water. or maybe because there are no bees to pollinate the flowers.

    Your wool is so beautiful, and I was really impressed with what you were doing. I'm like Denise and was surprised it could be incorporated in fiber arts. I might have to get some rovings and try felting them. You are getting some awesome results.

    I like the idea of using iced tea with crystal light, but I prefer V-8. I think it's even better than sweet drinks in summer.

    Thanks for sharing your wool and your V-8 with us for T this almost Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i´ve never seen These preparations for Spinning, so it was really interesting! your garden veggies Sound to be great - i´ve given up to plant some in our small garden as the slugs always are faster than me;)
    happy t-day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pleased it is a bit cooler for you now as you always seem busy with your wool spinning.

    The drink looks fantastic for hot weather

    Have a Happy T Day

    Love Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. The fibers look lovely colours, it was really interesting to see the photos of the methods you use before you get to the spinning stage.
    The iced summer teas sound delicious and refreshing. I don't think I could cope with the heat you have in your part of the world.
    Happy T day
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's been very hot here though not quite as hot as you've gotten. Good idea to have the propane all ready for the winter.
    The tomatoes on our plants are still small and green, nor are there green beans or zucchini yet but the kale and cucumbers and basil are fab!
    Loved seeing your wool and roving tools and how you work them. TFS and happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can't wait to see the yarn you spin with that buffalo fur :) I know it will be fantastic. We have been down in the 80's the last three days and I'm loving it . It was only 69° when I got up this morning. Great weather for picking blackberries. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your garden veggies sound to be wonderful and I am super impressed with your wool and spinning! I am sorry for you having such a heat - that is really unpleasant - I am feeling with you!
    oxo Susi

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! I am impressed! At first I didn't have a clue what you were on about but when I saw the pictures, my jaw dropped. Clever you. What beautiful wool. I look forward to seeing what you do with that.
    Happy T-Day,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's been hot here lately, too, but I find myself surprised it's so hot where you are. I guess I think of the ozarks in your area as cooler than here in Memphis. I enjoy the heat, but I'm not looking forward to bitter cold this winter :(

    We drink a lot of iced tea here, but ours is just boring black tea. I should take a page from you and spice it up a bit :)

    Happy T Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. We had a few days of hot and humid, not nearly as hot as your temps. We got some rain and the temps dropped considerably. Quite chilly the past two days, this morning I had to turn the heater on in the sunroom. Heat and humidity to return later in the week. That will make me happy. I don't mind it as it usually doesn't last more than 2 or 3 days, Winter seems so long and yo don't have to shovel heat and humidity.

    Your spinning looks quite interesting. Will be interested to see what you make with the fibers.

    Your ice tea recipe sounds delicious. Might have to give that a try. Happy T Day and stay cool.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The blending board video was fascinating, Kathy. So that's how those lovely blended yarns are made! Then of course I had to find a video about what you do with a rolag - lol. Your site is a font of information on getting back to basics. It's nice to hear your garden is doing so well despite the heat wave.

    Happy T-Day! Hugs, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well honestly i may regret saying this but i HOPE we have a snowy winter here in the Ozarks.. We could use one and the occassional good snowfall is one reason i moved here... lol I know Kathy is happy playing with all her fiber... :) I cannot wait to see what you make with it!! Happy happy T day! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  18. Pleased to hear that it has cooled down for you though it still seem very hot to me! Your wool mixture is interesting - it certainly should be lovely and soft! God Luck with the spinning! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  19. wow, Ohio has just been near 90 with high humidity...nothing compared to your temps! So interesting to see the different fibers that you are experimenting with, and your raspberry tea mixture does sound refreshing!

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit