Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Happy Earth Day & a Book

  The 22nd is Earth day 

Ever since my "hippie days" I have always worked at recycling, organic veggie gardening and putting up my own food, my arts and crafts, being kind to our planet-it's our home-everyone on the planet's home.

    If you search your local area news and/or online there are many many events happening on this day.

                              



   I just finished reading the book Beyond The Ice Cream Cone by Pamela Vaccaro Someone on T probably about a year ago shared this book, I think it was Mae. Since this was about the World's Fair in St Louis, Missouri in 1904 I was intrigued and searched out the book.



   I had heard about this fair but did not realize til reading the book that this was a world's fair. When I was a kid living at home my parents took us to the New York World's fair and also a world's fair in Canada. These are massive fairs and have so much to view-along with lots and lots of walking, and lots of new foods to try

 I don't think there are worlds fairs any longer. This had me searching for the answer and this is what I found  The last world's fair in this area of the world was the one in Canada in the '80s  Looks like there are still world's fairs but they are totally different now, not like a "fair" and held in other countries.

   This was a fascinating book, the author must have spent years researching as I don't think any aspect of the fair was left out. I hadn't realized the magnitude of all the temporary buildings that were put up. After reading the book I wanted to visit this fair-go back and time travel to enjoy it. On the back cover someone else thought the same "Reading this book made me regret that I was born 100 years too late. Pam's stories made me wish I had been at the fair in 1904"  I am wondering now if any of my ancestors visited this fair.

  The author on several occasions in this book, wrote about Sarah Tyson Rorer who was a food expert of her time-I think she would have surpassed Martha Stewart of today with her knowledge.  In the beginning of the book the author mentioned her cookbook that she gave out as a souvenir Thinking--I wonder if there is a kindle version of this book--and there was for .99 cents-a very detailed book if you enjoy reading vintage books. Of course I found the original on sale at Ebay for around $100.00   

  If you enjoy reading about history, I did not get bored once reading this book-so fascinating.

21 comments:

  1. OH HELP! Now I want that book, too!
    But it´s not available for kindle here... crazy. Can you send me a link? Maybe that´s again such a "German-thing"...
    Born 100 years too late, hm. No? Would you go back? For good?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would travel back but prior to the civil war-early 1800's Yes I will send you a link to the book

      Delete
  2. Happy Earth Day, Kathy. It's a beautiful day today. I'm glad you are joining in on the event, too.

    When I was in St. Louis one year, I went to the park where the Fair was held. Some of the original buildings are still there. I went to the 1982 World's Fair in Knoxville, TN. The theme had to do with sustainable energy. I got to walk through a geodesic dome house similar to the one Buckminster Fuller is famous for. I also got to see houses that used solar energy and how to set them up in different areas of the country or world. It was a wonderful fair and was so relevant then. Even more so now, I believe.

    So glad you enjoyed the World's Fair in NY (Flushing). I've been to the grounds where the fair was held. I've sat under the globe and saw the towers. However, I never saw the actual fair.

    Again, happy Earth Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for sharing Elizabeth, that would have been interesting to visit the park where the fair was held. In the book they said the grounds were many many acres. Your trip to the world's fair in Tn sounds awesome too. for some reason I remember more of the Canada fair Happy Earth Day

      Delete
  3. I remember someone writing about that book too. It sounded good. I don't think there are any World's Fairs anymore. I only ever made it to the one in Montreal, but it was quite the adventure. Happy Earth Day Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These fairs were adventures-they were so large with so much to see.
      I had found an article on the internet that said they are still having world's fairs but the format is totally different now and held in other countries

      Delete
  4. I also was able to go to the NY Worlds Fair. It was indeed a mind-boggling experience. I don’t know the book you referenced, but am sure you enjoyed it a lot. Sarah Tyson Rorer surely passed along a lot of expert information, so glad you found a copy. I don’t know about her surpassing Martha Stewart though. I think MS is a product of our TV -age times and has a whole staff of good writers. She has a talent for presenting the information though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really does sound like a very interesting book. Happy Earth Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uhoh, hippie days you say. Do we know each other? lol
      Happy Earth Day!
      The book does sound interesting. I think, besides the county fairs, there are more regional fairs in America than there were when I was hippie days' young. Art fairs are a favorite.

      Delete
    2. Haha we just might ya never know our paths may have crossed.
      there are many county and state fairs in the midwest where I have mostly lived. I really miss going to arts or crafts fairs. they were always a favorite of mine-and none near me any more

      Delete
  6. I really wish there was more emphasis made on being kind to our planet. The craft fairs of today don’t even come close to those of the past. We used to go every year to a big one in NW Ark. - WAr Eagle Crafts Fair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. when we lived in northen Illionois before retiring to Missouri we had numerous large arts and crafts fairs we could choose from I really enjoyed those none down here

      Delete
  7. I smiled at your 'In my hippie days'. I often say that too as I used to be a hippie (Stil am at heart) and I always assumed everyone went through this stage, but my hubby was never a hippie (he was in the army at an early age), and several of my friends don't share this experience.
    What an interesting sounding book! It's a shame we don't have world fairs anymore. I too would love to go to one. Luckily quite a few iconic buildings in cities date from a World fair. The Eiffel Tower in Paris, that atom thingy in Brussels, and the Seattle Space Needle to mention a few.
    Nowadays countries have Expos, which are similar but not so grand I suppose.
    Have a lovely weekend,
    Keep smiling,
    Hugs,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Earth Day! The books sounds fascinating, old books are so interesting 😀. Wishing you a very happy Friday and weekend! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Earth Day, it's so important that we each do our bit to look after our planet.

    Happy Friday and Weekend Wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sounds like a fascinating history book.
    I was brought up recycling - nothing went to waste - my grandad used to make some Heath Robinson style furniture too! Now we have recycling centres and charity shops I don't re-use as much as I used to. Hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always recycled as well-good that you have recycling centers and charity shops-

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit