Sunday, July 5, 2020

T Stands for Tuesday & This and That (sorry kinda long)

Happy T Stands for Tuesday
  We share a drink related photo in our post with friends and our hostess Bleubeard and Elizabeth-you are most welcome to join us for T(ea) or any beverage.

  I hope all of you in the States had a wonderful 4th of July-our Nation's birthday.
We have been very hot and humid here-most of last week and it continues.

Our friends had planned on staying over nite for the 4th like they did last year so I extra cleaned the house and made lots of food.  When they got here they said they decided to not stay over.
    That was a shame as their grandson came up from a southern state and he loves fireworks-he was here last year too. He just graduated from high school and is getting ready to enlist in the military-so it was good to see him again. He is a very nice young man.
   I made 2 large racks of baby back bbq ribs, a shrimp boil, German brats, keto cheesecake with a pecan crust this time, a huge veggie salad and she brought the sides.
    Larry and I have really cut back on starches and carbs this year-so I just had no wanting to eat what she brought. A sweet corn salad, a taco side dish that she put a half a bag of crunched doritos into it, and a very sweet dessert loaded with marshmallows-I just couldn't eat any of that-I did eat a couple of her deviled eggs.  I had our usual the proteins and a big salad.

  Last year we really enjoyed watching the fireworks from our deck-but this year was Wow!!!
       I was so tired from the day, that I had fallen asleep just before dark-So glad Larry woke me up as he knows I love to watch the fireworks.
    They went on constantly all around us-even behind us for 4 hours at least. I never get tired of watching fireworks but I almost did this time haha  It was really amazing to watch. and the smoke from the fireworks afterwards? that was quite amazing too lol.
   The lake was also loaded with ignorant boaters-not so bad on Sunday though.
There were a few fireworks every day for a week leading up to the 4th.
   If my little camera would take photos in the dark I would have shared a video-it was quite spectacular over the lake.

  A couple Tuesdays ago Eileen shared a class with us by Art Sparks It was watercolors, making little books, and lettering (not calligraphy)
   I had been waiting for my watercolor paints to arrive all this time. The price for her class was greatly reduced, and listening to her tutorials I got the impression this was a thank you to her students during Covid.
   I decided to start watching the videos first, and After watching the watercolor segment I for sure would not have wanted to use the good watercolor paints for this project.
    I decided to make just two watercolor pages instead of the four. Also decided to use mixed media paper for the second paper instead of using the better quality watercolor paper. And I used my watercolor pencils and water brushes.-I am getting better at using those.
   I didn't realize when I bought the class, that she wanted bold shapes, bold colors and she said "I don't want to see small watercolor flowers"   and on the back of the papers we were to paint abstract something. Leaving room on both pages for writing.  She then cut up the papers in different sizes to make several books.
   I didn't do all of that I just made two small books-I did like the way she showed us how to stitch the little books together-which was quite clever for me to learn that. and it was kinda fun in the end.
    I did a little video-It was late Friday evening when I did this, and I guess you can tell I tired and mumbling as I had cleaned and done laundry all day I had done 3 videos and this one was the best of them. I would do this project again but paint the pages differently. I think these would make nice little gifts, with blank pages for writing.


 On my you tube there is another video that ended up a little longer but was a bit blurry, and I took photos of the two books covers.
   I am thinking I may just cut the yarns off of these books and do them a bit different






    I ordered a watercolor book after reading all the excellent reviews on several sites. I compared all over the net for a reduced price and found a used one-like new except for the spine is not perfect, from a Goodwill seller on Ebay. I got it Saturday and is excellent for learning, Thought I would share this one. He is accomplished artist and also an instructor This is two of his books in one volume.


I also wanted to share the watercolor artist I am following for her tutorials of flowers on You Tube they  are here  I really like her.

My beverage shares for this week

   A little pot of tea instead of coffee Sunday morning




and Late Sunday a mango margarita-I had a taste for one on the 4th but I was too tired for it then-so made us one late afternoon Sunday


to close a couple lake views

  There are always herons around-fun to watch-he likes this fishing spot and the other day I looked out and he had caught a fish.


Duck and a heron sitting on the railing down to the dock


 a better view


I stepped out on the deck with my camera and the duck flew off-along with the rest of the family that were sitting to the right on a float



Happy T everyone  Hope you have an awesome new week.

41 comments:

  1. That duck is a female Wood Duck. Great visitor! She only has three ducklings left it seems. I wonder if the Great Blue Heron had a couple for breakfast when they were smaller? As for your friends announcing upon arrival that they have decided not to stay, that seems downright inconsiderate to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was very inconsiderate too. We have eagles here too which could have eaten some. Thanks for letting me know this is a wood duck-we weren't sure

      Delete
  2. Very pretty little books! I can see you sewed the pages together, very nice. The heron is amazing on the railing! We saw herons everyday at the bay, but only in the water. I think yours was smart enough to get out of the way of the boat traffic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the herons are fun to watch-they are here every day. the books were a fun idea to make

      Delete
  3. You Had My Attention At Baby Back, I'm On My Way - Lovely Photos For Sure - Stay Creative

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy T Day! You're early for the party, I will be linking tomorrow, so i'll be late. Love the little watercolour books. I know one thing, if I'd been invited to you and seen all that food, I would have stayed, and stayed and enjoyed myself! Love the heron photos, just saw the heron fishing in the stream here. Have a great day and a wonderful week, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks-something was up with them I think-oh well we have left overs for two meals now haha.
      the heron is fun to watch You have an awesome day too

      Delete
  5. Too bad you and your friends didn't coordinate your food beforehand... that may need to happen in the future.. Hubby and i have cut way back on our carbs and sweets too... It does make it difficult when you get together with other people who do not follow that.. And then to abruptly change their plans without giving you a heads up is just plain rude.. Well you are definitely on your watercolor way.. :) The little book is a cute idea... We have Herons here too on Beaver Lake.. If theres just one Hubs and i call him George.. if there are two well thats George and Gracie..lol Take care kathy! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HaHa I love the name for the herons.
      I thought this too that they were really rude-not giving me a heads up on change of plans-I had breakfast food to make as well-oh well and she usually will make potato salad or a coleslaw, baked beans-more picnic type food-these dishes were just weird and would not have eaten them any ways-something was "off" with them sad.

      Delete
  6. Watercolors are challenging, aren't they! I really like your books. I'm impressed at how your little paintings turned out.

    It's a shame they missed the fireworks :( The meal sounds delicious! and the fireworks sound like a major production. They lasted sooo long. I love your lake views and wildlife photos :) Happy T Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am liking the watercolors more than acrylics-I think because of the softer colors.
      these are all private homes that bought fireworks-allot of money was spent for sure-Happy T

      Delete
  7. OMG, I FROZE reading "German brats" and had to google it.
    Luckily just Bratwurst, phew!! LOL!!! When even the eggs come from the devil, weeee... ;-)

    4 hours of fireworks? Bummer!
    And that is quite some beautiful work, too :-)

    Your lake always is wonderful, happy T-day to you (still Monday evening here).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the fireworks were all from private homes-so this was a big deal for 4 hours plus. public ones that I have gone to in the past were never very long an hour tops so this was quite the treat-and we had the full moon too Happy T

      Delete
  8. The food sounds amazing and the fireworks over the lake must have been spectacular Fireworks are illegal here in Massachusetts, but that didn’t stop people from shooting them off because all the town fireworks across the state were cancelled. There’s a lake a couple of miles away and we could hear the fireworks booming for hours. Cute little books. Have fun with your watercolors and Happy T Day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we lived in Illinois before retirement fireworks were illegal there too. very legal here in Missouri.
      Fireworks are very pretty over water for sure.
      thanks and Happy T

      Delete
  9. wow- that sure was a LOT of food on hand!! Glad you were able to enjoy some of it, and the fireworks too.
    Lovely little watercolor art books.
    Beautiful lakeside images - love them! Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are brave to change your diet in such a healthy way. I would be tempted by the marshmallows, though, if I were you.

    be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. now that we are older we just don't burn off carbs very well any more-

      Delete
  11. Wow Kathy, so fireworks seem like an amazing show. We had lots of banging around us but because of the woods we couldn't see any of them. And too bad you friends didn't stay overnight after all your work. But it still sounds like a nice July 4th. Nice little watercolor book too. It was fun to see it. Hope you have a great T day too. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Erika, it was an amazing display of fireworks it made the day specail-hugs

      Delete
  12. It sounds like you ha a good weekend even though your friends didn't stop over. Your food sounded delicious. The display of fireworks must have looked amazing from your lakeside home.
    I loved your watercolour paintings the little book looks beautiful.
    Happy T day wishes, stay safe.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like you had a great Fourth of July. I like your artwork. Nice photos of the Heron. Your tea looks delicious. Happy T-Day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely Independence Day, Kathy. As always, the dishes you made for your meal sound scrumptious. Four hours of fireworks, wow! That must have been beautiful.

    I'm surprised that you finished the Sparks class and homework already! Your books are very cute.

    Happy T-Day! Hugs, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fireworks were just incredible
      I painted up the papers real late one night when I couldn't sleep-and then just finished the books the next morning-

      Delete
  15. Lovely watercolors. I enjoyed the lake photos as well. Life is good at the lake.
    Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes live is good at the lake-hugs and thanks about my watercolors-still learning

      Delete
  16. I do like the heron photographs …

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm sorry to hear your friends' visit was not what you expected. My first reaction was: how inconsiderate, but there was probably something going on in their lives that you don't know about. Then the fact that the food they brought was so inappropriate for your dietary preferences, which is rather strange for friends to do this.
    I love seeing the images of the lake with the heron and the duck. Fewer ducklings, I noticed. Unfortunately there are many predators. Under water (large rats) as well as above water (birds of prey).
    I'm glad you have been able to see the fire works. I bet it was beautiful over the water.
    Your pomegranate-passion white tea looks very interesting and yummy. And your margherita too. It looks very different to Erika's margherita. Probably because of the mango....(I've never had a margherita so I don't know what it is supposed to look like).
    Happy T-Day,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking too something must have been up and she knows how we eat so that was strange to me what she brought--Just one of those life things.
      we love seeing all the ducks, geese, herons, and the rest of the water fowl. we have eagles too that would eat babies, and Larry says the big fish will eat them too.
      the fireworks was just really awesome.
      this tea was really good. Erikas is the regular margarita, and then there are many others using different fruits-we really love the mango--its tequilla, triple sec, lime, a sweetener I use agave, and ice or the fruit

      Delete
  18. Wow, it sounds like you had a wonderful weekend! You and your friends really spoilt each other with that amazing food - yum 😀. Loving your yarn journal and that painting book looks fabulous too. I bet the fireworks were beautiful, I would have loved to see them 😉. Sending you Happy T Day wishes! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sorry your friends decided not to stay but it certainly sounds as though you had some great food! I love the little books even though it wasn't your style! I'm sure you will make some more! It must be great having such lovely view, both of the fireworks by night and the lovely water birds by day! Happy T day! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris, yes we are very blessed to live here now-so enjoying the views. Yes I will make more little books

      Delete
  20. Happy 4th & happy Tues. ~ I'm glad you enjoyed some fireworks, none to be seen in VA. I heard some rebels, but nothing professional to see in my neck of the woods. The tea and the mango margarita are right up my alley! blessings on your week ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you-these fireworks were mostly from private people-they must have had allot of money to blow-but we really enjoyed it

      Delete
  21. I'm finally back online. Thanks for joining this week's T party. Next week we will use Inlinkz because you can remove your link and start over again if you make a mistake Be sure to use ONLY your name in the "caption" and not your blog post, please.

    I wonder if your friends are starting to have Alzheimer's. It sounds like something has definitely changed in their lives. Of course, I probably wouldn't stay long due to this virus, either, so that may have something to do with it, too.

    Loved the lake shots and the little watercolor books. They are beautiful. My friend in CA called and said he was driving home and lots of people were setting off fireworks in their front yards as he passed their houses. All public fireworks had been cancelled. When I was talking to the guy at ATT, he could hear the fireworks in the background all around my house. I could see lots of them from my office window, too while I spoke with him. Seems homeowners took over when public displays cancelled.

    Your tea looks lovely and your margarita looks good, too. Thanks for joining T Tuesday this week, dear Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I never thought of that-less or no public fireworks so people had their own. I think here in Missouri they still had allot of public fireworks. neat that you got to see some near your home too.
    glad your internet got fixed-you would think they could get that fixed for good-hugs

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit