Thursday, May 3, 2018

Orioles Still Here-Photos and Information

  I had been sad because we have very very few hummingbirds. Usually by now we have 50 at the very least. The colder than normal April must have sent them on a different course or they just did not travel all the way to us. We are lucky to see 4 or 5 during the day.

  However, we have been blessed with the Baltimore Orioles. We are thinking they may just have decided to nest here in our woods. As over the last few days now we just see the males at the feeders. They are considered weavers and nest in the wood's edges or small clumps of trees-not deep in the woods.
    To attract them I put out citrus quarters mid April and if lucky we may see a few for a couple days. This year so far they have stayed. I have gone through lots of juice oranges-4 a day, and will need to go to town tomorrow to buy more. 
   They are so beautiful that I could just sit and watch them for hours.  I did remember that I still had an oriole feeder. The nectar is weaker than the Hummingbird nectar. The orioles use 5 cups of water to 1 cup of sugar (Hummingbirds use 4 to 1)  
  I have had friends say they just use grape jelly-I am not crazy about that as most have preservatives in it and they love oranges and grapefruits more.
  Information about them here  and here with lots of photos and their nest here  Their pretty song here

Click photos to fully enlarge with better viewing






7 comments:

  1. I love watching the birds at the feeder. Ink did, too =^,.^=

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty Kathy and i really appreciate the info.. We have a few hummers but then we never get very many.. Maybe 4-5 tops... Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same here, hummers are around in NJ this year, but not many. We are in the oriole area, going to try citrus!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucky you to have those wonderful Orioles in your garden. Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had no idea Orioles were that beautiful and bright. I don't think I've ever seen one here. I have more than my fair share of robins, but never Orioles or even hummingbirds. Lovely photos, Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I would have sat with you watching those beautiful birds, the are so colourful. Was that a squirrel sitting on the log ?
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I think I could sit and watch them all day too! They are such beautiful colours and how exciting that they are nesting meeting in your woods - amazing 😁. Enjoy and Happy Friday! J 😊 x

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit