Thursday, May 10, 2018

Cast Iron Friday's & Our Cinco de Mayo Dinner Plus More Recipe Links

 Good morning everyone,
Friday's is when I love to share cooking, baking, grilling and more in cast iron utensils.
    You are most welcome to share your own cast iron post, link up at end of this post.  
    I am hoping with warmer weather upon us more of you will be using cast iron outdoors on the grill  or baking in dutch ovens and wish to share with us.
   I enjoy doing these posts but if you are all bored with this already let me know and I will discontinue if there is no interest. I am not even concerned about no one sharing posts if the information is interesting reading for you.

   Today I had thought of baking an apple pie outdoors in the dutch oven, but it was a perfect day for me to work in the gardens. I am so far behind do to the cold April, but now we are headed right into hot summer temperatures already-ugh I had a feeling that was going to happen. So anyways I ended up working outdoors for about 8 hours today (Thursday), so no baking accomplished.

  However, for Cinco de Mayo Day I did use cast iron skillets and a grill for our meal. Our Wisconsin friends brought us down several pounds of their homemade sausages. I grabbed their chirozo and a pound of low fat hamburger and made us tacos. I added a can of chilies and diced tomatoes once the meats were browned. Also added in some garlic and spices.


Check out my new Lodge handle mitts. I was checking to see what cast iron our Wal Mart (big box store) was selling and found these. I used to have some quilted ones but they wore out. These handle mitts are so much safer for me to use on our gas stove instead of folding over one of those square ones. So I am loving these. They are made of plastic which I have never been crazy about but these do work really well.


Since my husband's heart disease has now progressed to congestive heart failure, I now read every label for salt content. I have never cooked or baked with salt using herbs instead, but it has been an eye opener on how much salt is in say a can of refried beans and the flour tortillas and and things you never would have thought of.
    So I used a couple cans of organic black beans that had just a little salt and rinsed them well with cold water and then made refried beans with them. I added garlic, a small can of green chilies and mashed them as they cooked, keeping some of the beans whole. These were very delicious.


I got out one of my cast iron griddles and heated up Hub's flour tortillas and my corn tortillas. I suggested that my corn tortillas have no salt in them at all-but he still wanted his flour ones 



   I want to share with you more links of delicious looking recipes using cast iron that arrived in my inbox this week. 

Blueberry Lemon Pound Cakes

  Don't these look delicious? I have two of these small skillets but I want to find two more to make desserts like this one.

Blueberry Cakes


Grilled Browned Butter Pound Cake

I thought this was really clever. Bake up a pound cake and then grill it add fruit




10 Cast Iron Recipes for any cookout

and this next one-Yum everything looks so delicious but this is not for vegetarians except for the grilled parmesan corn the rest are meats

Our Top 7 Farmers' Market Sides



Now it is your turn to link up if you like to share your own Cast Iron Fridays Post

Thanks for visiting



8 comments:

  1. Everything sounds & looks yummy as usual. I love hearing about all the old recipes & ways to cook with cast iron, plus, its fun to experiment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had intended to play today, but I'm so far behind in everything I'm working on right now, I didn't have time to find my cast iron. Your refried beans look wonderful. I also check labels, mostly for carbs and calories, but I never fail to see the sodium content, too. People would truly be surprised if they knew how much sodium/salt they were putting in their bodies each day.

    Kathy, does that manufacturing label on that handle specifically say it is plastic? Plastic burns, melts, and warps quite quickly and easily. From the looks of it, the handle is silicone, which is heat safe up to about 425 degrees F. I think it's a GREAT addition to your cast iron extras.

    Nice other recipes, too. I still like the beans the best, though. They look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Kathy you have made me hungry. I haven't done much cooking or baking since getting home-between readjusting to the time and other things. I love those little pans. I would like a couple of those also. I hope maybe to get back into food in the next week. Hope you have a great weekend. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathy i love to read about what you are cooking. You put waaay more effort into cooking than i do.. lol I don't cook with cast iron except years ago when we took the kids camping. I don't really have any recipes to contribute.. and lots of times life is so busy i don't make the time to comment but i should.. Most weeks the T party is all i can keep up with... But you keep writing and i'll keep reading. :) Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathy you always make me hungry! WOW! Happy cast iron Friday! Happy weekend!
    Hugs, Susi

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm always surprised by how much salt is added to things and sugar, too. All the foods look delicious. That lemon blueberry cake would hit the spot right now. =^,.^= Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, your cooking today is making me so hungry! That taco mixture filling a corn tortilla with refried beans is just my thing - yum 😉. Wishing you a happy cast iron Friday! J 😊 x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I passed my cast iron on to my eldest when we got a glass-top stove, but I miss them. I enjoy these posts with your recipes and good photos, and they tempt me to buy a small or medium-sized skillet to bake with. If you enjoy posting these, I do enjoy reading them.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit