Sunday, November 26, 2017

T Stands for Tuesday & Lots More Good Eats

  Tuesdays we share a drink related post with friends. Our hostess is Bleubeard and Elizabeth-see link to join us in my right hand column.

   Here in the States we celebrated Thanksgiving last Thursday-a time for being thankful and also for giving to those in need.
   We were invited to a friend's to celebrate the feast with them, but hubs decided he wanted to stay at home with quiet and not a large crowd
   That was fine with me, I had picked up a small Butterball turkey and fresh herbs and oranges-it turned out so moist and delicious. The sides were simple-fresh turnips, brussels sprouts, fresh whole sweet potatoes that I steamed done, my own home made cranberry sauce, and of course I went over board on the pies.

   On Wednesday I decided to make sourdough biscuits for hubs with sausage gravy. For the bread for me I had these small gluten free buns that I toasted and it turned out really delicious. Also served with two eggs easy over.
  Here are a few food photos: and all of the photos will enlarge to full size just click on them










I made several pies: a blueberry-cranberry pie which I ended up freezing for later, a gluten free apple-raisin with crumble topping, and a gluten free pumpkin pie. My pumpkin pie is a little darker as I used coconut sugar, and added in nutmeg to the spices-one of my favorite pies We also had a delicious pecan pie that I had gotten free with my order from Nuts.com-so delicious.
  

The weather here has been very warm and very windy with no rain for months-so in the woods that means fire warnings. Someone already burnt their house down near Springfield, Mo burning leaves when it was very windy-what was he thinking? a huge no no so here in my woods we are still in much need of rain-so no outdoor baking in my cast iron til we get a good soaking of rain which is still not in the forecast.

On Friday I joined in for another virtual race called opt out Friday where the challenge was to run or walk a 5k or 10k and then do things outdoors-not shopping. That was easy for me-the weather was warm, and I don't shop in all that madness and the profits went to the national parks for this race too. the organization is called Virtual Running Club-they have lots of neat swag too that you can opt to purchase and the race's profits always go to a good cause.

I have been walking my 3 miles every day now for over a week since the weather is so warm. Trying to make this walking into a daily routine which has always been difficult for me to stick to

This year I decided to replace my little Christmas tree that I had needed to toss a few years ago. Awhile back when I was going through and organizing some things I looked at my ornaments and decided I needed to get them out and enjoy them. Most are very old and some belonged to my grandparents, and when I was really young on my own and had no money I bought a set of little wooden ornaments to hand paint-which are perfect to fill in on this small tree.
     I really splurged and purchased a Balsam Hill table top tree. I set it up on a wooden cheese box that I had and have been enjoying my little tree and the lights in the evenings. I set this up on the hearth rug in front of the wood stove. We no longer heat with wood only-but if it should turn super cold I can still get a fire going.




and while decorating my little tree-I roasted fresh chestnuts over an open fire-that is over my gas flame on my stove-lol  soooo good and brought back good memories with my Grandpa when I was a young girl.



Friday I got a surprise in the mail-the package I had sent to Germany for Val with goodies and my corn husks papers was returned back to me.  Couldn't tell for sure if it was sent back do to the wrong address or they did not like the contents for some reason-but at least it did not get lost. Wow a couple months in limbo. I emailed Val about the address-did you get my email?  anyways I feel bad it did not get to you but happy was not lost.


   When ever we have pie-we really enjoy a piece for breakfast-better than any sweet roll or doughnut  lol  
      Hubs has his with coffee and I have mine with my herbal dandelion root and chicory beverage with a dash of cream.




Happy T Stands for Tuesday everyone.  

     I am off to take the first batch of fruitcakes out of the oven. I know most of you do not like fruitcake but then you have not had mine-lol  I use a very old English recipe that is mostly all fruit and very little cake-just enough to hold it together-and yes I do wrap up in cheesecloth that was soaked in a bit of spirits, that will help these cakes store for up to a year or so-and stay moist and delicious.I have been making these cakes for over 40 years now so I guess it would not be the holiday if I stopped making them. I now make a gluten free version for me-with mostly dried fruits and just a few of the glazed fruits.

Have a good week everyone!

19 comments:

  1. I am so sorry your parcel didn't reach me. I just found your mail in my spam folder. The postcode was missing, so perhaps that was the reason. Your Thanksgiving food looks wonderful, I would have liked to try my way through those pies! And the fruit cake sounds more than tempting! Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Valerie, this is a bummer but not your fault. I was sure I had all the numbers that you gave me on the label-sometimes when I make an international label from our post office online-it is very confusing to know what numbers go where.

      Delete
  2. Well Kathy i enjoyed reading all about your Good Eats....I'am one of those that is not a fan of fruit cake...lol I usually do not eat anything sweet with my coffee in the morning because it kills the sweetness of my coffee... lol I don't think i've ever had chesnuts... how wonderful that brings back memories for you.. Happy happy T day! I'm just starting to pull a T post together... Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything looked so delicious.As Himself is watching his weight, I only made an apple pie. We call it having fruit :-D Your tree is so charming. I love roasted chestnuts but roast them in the oven. We finished the apple pie so none for breakfast. Your breakfast pie is making my mouth water. Have a very Happy T Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pie is the perfect holiday breakfast. :) I still haven't made a pumpkin pie so need to do that very soon. Quiet times at home are my most favorite. Not much into crowds at all anymore. It's good you are enjoying your little tree and the ornaments from your grandparent's. No sense in letting them sit in hiding all year long. Happy holidays, happy new week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mouth is watery now with all this delicios food you offer here and the charming christmas tree makes me happy! I do my chestnuts in the microwave - my Dad told me how to make it - they taste very good and it is so quick to make.
    Happy T- DAY DEAR KATHY!
    oxo Susi

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am in awe of your wonderful pies. We had pumpkin and pecan, and it seemed everyone wanted pumpkin, so there was none left over. I didn't make them, focusing more on sides than anything else. Your pumpkin sounds wonderful, because I also add more spices than the recipe calls for. And you are quite smart to bake indoors, rather than chance a fire that could burn your house down.

    I LOVE your little tabletop tree. It is fabulous. I also only decorate with tabletop trees, because my house is not set up to have a large one.

    I've never roasted chestnuts, but I bought some one time. I'm so glad you were able to collect and roast yours. I'm sure they brought back good memories, too.

    I would gladly eat pie for breakfast, but I would want to join your husband with coffee, since I need caffeine to make it through my day.

    Thanks for sharing your Thanksgiving breakfast, your wonderful pies, your chestnuts, and your dandelion root and chicory beverage with us for T this week.

    BTW, I'm not fond of fruitcake because I can't stand citron. If you don't use citron, I might actually like it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have enjoyed reading your post and my mouth is watering after seeing all the delicious food in the photos, those pies all look yummy.
    Your Christmas tree looks wonderful, the decorations look so lovely and so special, you must have fond memories when you bring them out each year.
    Happy T day wishes Kathy
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like you had the perfect Thanksgiving celebration with your hubby 😁. All you bakes look so delicious but it's the biscuits and gravy and eggs that have caught my eye ...lol 😉... my mouth is watering thinking what it must taste like - heavenly! Your little Christmas tree is so pretty and all those pies and roasted chestnuts are the perfect winter treat - yum 😀. I love fruitcake and I always make one at Christmastime too. Wonderful about the virtual race too, it's so good that you keep fit and also contribute to such great causes! Wishing you much happiness this T Day! J 😊

    ReplyDelete
  9. sounds like your hubby scored big with your homemade, delicious meal:):) And look at you all ahead of the next holiday too-good for you!
    Too bad about the pkg to Valerie. But at least it was returned to you and not lost. Chestnuts...also a French tradition.
    Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pie is the ultimate and most perfect breakfast. :) You sound like you had a lovely Thanksgiving weekend and had lots of good food-we were home too which was quite nice. Thanks for sharing those pies you made too. Happy T day. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  11. i´m gaining weight just by looking at all These Food goodies in your post! esp the pies...
    and your Christmas deco is wonderful!
    happy t-day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! I feel I have already put on a few kilos just looking at all that deliciousness! What a lovely Thanksgiving meal. Considering you were celebrating just the two of you, you cooked an enormous amount of food. Those pies look absolutely scrummy. Yes, I love fruit cake too and make it regularly. I make something called Bara Brith (Welsh) and I soak the fruit in strong tea and brown sugar overnight and then I add the flour and an egg (plus raising agent) and it goes in a low heat oven for an hour. Out comes a very moist and delicious fruit loaf. I made one on Saturday for our Sunday house group.
    Chestnuts! Yumm. I love those. I have a pan with holes in it that can go on the coals of the fire. Now that we have a closed woodburner, we don't do them so often anymore.
    Your little Christmas tree is delightful. I love those wooden ornaments and the crocheted angel.
    A shame about the parcel that was returned. Such a waste of postage money. And Valerie of course hasn't got her parcel.
    Well done you for walking every day. Keep it up girl!
    Happy T-Day,
    Hugs,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pie! My favorite dessert. Laughed when I saw it on your breakfast menu because I do that but rarely admit it, LOL! Hope you get some rain soon. CA was in a drought so long and fires are unfortunately common here. Your tree is the perfect size.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your Thanksgiving sounds perfect, and all that baking! I admire your 3-mile walks. I have really fallen down on the walking here. My family is still insisting on a big tree, but I will welcome a smaller tree when the time comes. Deciding which ornaments to keep will be hard, as we have so many. Only a very few from my grandparents, though. They are treasures, aren't they! We've had less rain than usual, too. I'm glad we don't get leaf-burning where we live now. That smoke always bothered me. Happy T Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  15. What wonderful baking and cooking you've been doing, Kathy. You're a wiz in the kitchen - especially since you're doing many things without modern conveniences AND you have to make two versions with one being gluten-free! It just boggles my mind. I've never tasted chestnuts but have smelled that wonderful smell on the streets of NY.

    Happy T-day! Hugs, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  16. No, my Bara Brith cake doesn't use yeast. Only a sachet of baking powder that I buy at the supermarket.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well, I am really hungry now, especially for pie. We also had gluten free pumpkin pie at our house this year. But your idea for cranberry-blueberry sounds really good, so maybe I'll try making something like that soon. I must say, I also love the cute tablecloth with the forest animals from your breakfast pie photo. 🦊🐿🐾 Happy pie day...oops, I mean T Day! 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  18. The food looks wonderful, although I think I will have to come to the USA to find out what biscuits are(and grits) and to taste pumpkin pie! I adore a good rich fruit cake - although I no longer make one - it would be too tempting and would not be good for my sugar levels!! Your tree looks fabulous - we only have a small tree but some of the ornaments belonged to my Mum! Happy T Day! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit