Sunday, November 19, 2017

T Stands for Tuesday Deer Camp & Christmas Card Swap

Good morning everyone,
    T Stands for Tuesday is when we get together and share a drink related post. Link to the T Party in my right hand column with our hostess Bleubeard and Elizabeth.




(I found this photo online-I may need to make something like this)

  I had been talking about our deer camp for a couple weeks now. The event was last week and we all had a good time-mostly eating good foods and socializing with old and new friends.
   A couple of you have asked me what exactly is deer camp? Deer camp is when friends gather and yes hunt for deer, at our deer camp hubs has rules for ethical hunting, only bucks and young bucks can be taken for meat processing. and No hunting in our "back yard" where we feed them-that is their safe zone-always. 
  Over the last several years conservation allowed unlimited hunting of does-I still have no idea why they let that go on for so long. Just a little ways from us there is a couple that took advantage of that and processed 12 to 15 does a season-unheard of. So the consequences now- fewer does in our area-so we don't allow on our property any does to be taken til the doe population increases.
    The hunters took two nice meat bucks home to process and  home can.
   I have been wanting to can venison but hubs is not in shape any more for all the work involved-and all the walking in the woods as well. I am still hoping that perhaps we can hunt for one though.

  Sorry I meant to take lots of photos of the food-I do all the cooking for the evening meal, and the guys coming in we ask for lunch food-so we had lots of chili, beef stew, goulash, deli meats and breads for sandwiches. For extras and gifts one person brought me a gallon of his own homemade maple syrup Wow that was a huge surprise-He lives way up north near Green Bay Wisconsin. He also made homemade blueberry muffins from his own blueberries to go with their coffee in the morning. The guys all said those were sooo good.  I have to say that I was thankful that for the lunch meals they were gluten free aware so I could eat most of the food-very thoughtful.
    They also brought dozens of hard boiled eggs, Wisconsin sausages, lots of Wisconsin cheese and the list goes on lol  As a gift for my hubs one Wisconsin friend's wife bakes up two cheesecakes for him and the group every year-his favorite.
    We had an Illinois friend that came in on Wednesday in case he wanted to bow hunt, and brought 3 meals of fresh Mexican dishes-sooo delicious.
    Friday is when the others came in and I always invite several other friends and ask that they bring a dish. I made a large crock pot and a small slow cooker full of shredded pork and peppers for grilled sandwiches with provolone. The sides were potato salad, taco soup-delicious, three bean salad and much more. Early in the day Friday I got out my dutch ovens and made two apple-raisin-dried cherry pies.







We had drove to the big box store Sam's Club (over an hour away from us) to shop and they had this large crock pot with a mini crock pot on sale. I have been wanting a larger one to go with the slow cooker I have (yes there is a difference in how these two work) I am in love with this new one. It holds allot of food. Sorry these were the only photos I remembered to take. 
   One night I grilled chicken breasts with sides, another night grilled center cut pork chops, and another night we all went to our friends for fried catfish. The Wisconsin men had never ate catfish before.
   So yep this is mostly a fun eating event lol  We enjoyed the two new men that came down with our long time friend. The little space we put together above hubs shop worked out perfectly too.

             Christmas Card Swap

For the last couple of years I have been making handmade papers and then turning them into Christmas cards.
      I would love to swap cards with you all if you care too. For international I am going to send postcards-hopefully those will go right through and not get lost and since our postage is so high here the postcards will be less to send.
   If you would like to swap my email is located on my profile page-just send me an email with your name and address and I will send you mine back. 
    These cards can be handmade or not up to you. I searched for blank postcards and found some-so I may be creative with those this year.

    I haven't been drinking anything new and exciting lately lol Somehow a couple weeks ago I got into a food allergy so I have been drinking mostly water, juices, and adding aloe vera juice or drinking my herbal decaf beverage in the mornings.
  ( I am pretty much back to normal now-thank goodness.)



Happy T Stands for Tuesday everyone
 And for my friends in the States-Happy Thanksgiving

18 comments:

  1. As always you and your energy level put me to shame... We have avid deer hunters that surround us on nearly all sides... We are the island in the storm.......... Happy Early T day! Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh ! Your fun eating event sounds heavenly !
    Here we have many hunters too as we have so much woodland here around in our area! Good to hear that you are back to normal after your food allergy! Happy T-Day ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had a fun week where nobody went hungry. Your pies look great. Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your week sounds great, full of activity. It must have been fun having friends around and enjoying meals together, its good that they bring food to share as well.
    The photos of the pies looked delicious.
    Have a happy day.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting to hear about deer camp. Soundslike there is a Thanksgiving size amount of yummy food. It was making me hungry as I read. Happy T day and have a great Thanksgiving. Erika

    ReplyDelete
  6. Food and good friends is a great combination. Those pies look amazing.Happy T Day and a Happy Thanksgiving

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a wonderful post, Kathy. Although when I was young, I hunted deer in Colorado with my grandfather, I won't kill anything anymore, even though I still own two handguns. Kansas outlawed deer hunting for years. I don't remember when they lifted the ban, but I THINK (but can't remember for sure) that bow licenses were all that were issued the first year or so. After that, the ban was lifted, and people are now allowed to hunt deer in KS. Where KS makes most of its money is during pheasant season.

    Sounds like you had more fun that the people who came to AR and had to stay in motels and eat restaurant food. And I got hungry just reading about all the food you prepared and all the food the people brought with them. I am quite sure no one went hungry.

    Sorry to read you had a food allergy reaction. I am glad it didn't get in the way of your hosting. Your aloe vera juice and herbal decaf drink look lovely, but I have to have caffeine, or I don't function (grin).

    Thanks for sharing your Deer Camp, your lovely food, and your drinks with us for T this week, Kathy. I'm not sure I'll be sending cards this year, but if I do, I'll see that you get one of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you all had a great time and the food as always sounds so good. You work way too hard for these events.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like you had a fun time and all the food you prepared looks amazing - yum! I'd love a slice (or two ...lol 😉) of the delicious pie you made please 😁. Glad to hear you are feeling much better and wishing you a very happy T Day and Thanksgiving too! J 😊

    ReplyDelete
  10. sounds like a great gathering and sharing of like interests, good food and friendships. But you can have the deer meat and hunting. Thanks for sharing, happy T day and happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  11. mouth watering to read this post:) but what a lot of work for you!
    good that you are on the mend.
    happy t-day and thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't hunt, but Daddy did, and the deer camp sounds like great fun. All that great food!

    Happy T Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for telling us more about deer camp, Kathy. I really appreciate the rule "kill only what you can eat." I hope the does make a comeback.

    The food looks wonderful - real comfort food. It sounds like all had a great time. You have so many friends from WI. I was born and raised in Milwaukee. Getting very nostalgic here - sniff - missing family and friends as I always do this time of years.

    Happy T-day! Hugs, Eileen

    P.S.. I made pumpkin pie today, but yours look way better than mine ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I forgot to say, I would love to swap Christmas cards with you, Kathy. I'm making mine right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Eileen, great I was trying to get to your blog to tell you to go to my profile page for my email and then we can exchange addresses for some reason the link to your blog is not working right now hope you see this

      Delete
  15. Wow, now I am hungry after reading about all the good food that you had at your hunting party. Happy T Day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, you have been busy! It sounds you all had a fantastic time. I'm glad you explained what a deer camp is. Can I now ask you to explain the difference between a crock pot and a slow cooker? I thought crock pot was a Brand of slow cooker but that it was the same thing.
    Wishing you and your family a very blessed Thanksgiving,
    Happy T-Day,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
  17. Now wonder you like Deer Camp...sounds like a great party/vacation/time to socialize! food looks and sounds yummy...your pies are works of ART! ♥

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit