Thursday, April 4, 2024

It's been Rough

   It has been a rough several days.  

   A long time friend passed a couple weeks ago-one that Larry visited with a lot online. We knew him and his late wife from when we lived in Illinois.   Another friend that was our neighbor in Illinois before retirement suddenly had a heart attack with no warning and passed. His family is just devastated  The blessing in this is that he had called Larry on the phone and talked for over an hour a little over a week ago.

  On  April 1st late afternoon Larry couldn't breath, he felt like he was drowning. He had such a bad experience at the Lake Hosp that he would not let me call 911. I gave it an hour and talked him into letting the paramedics check him out, and I promised again he would Not go to that hospital.  All his stats were good but they suggested the hospital for a checkup.  There are two hospitals in Jefferson City that are just a little over an hour's drive. So he chose St Mary's Hosp.  That ended up being an excellent choice. They had doctors on staff in the emergency area, a cardiac doctor on call, they ran lots of  tests and  x rays. Soooo much security too-never seen this before-a metal detector we had to walk through and police everywhere. We learned this is a new hospital just 10 years old and is a catholic hospital. We have always found most of these to have excellent care and food. The food was "real" food here not frozen and reheated bad quality foods. The rooms were large and spacious like a hotel. Modern design within the hospital.

  Larry had fluid around his heart and in his lungs. Larry has had congestive heart disease since 1999,  so this has gone to the next stage and is much worse now. Recovering from the fall and being stuck in bed for so many months has not helped his condition. I think also the trip to the drivers license place was a bit too much along with our steep steps up and down. That has been a bit of a setback afterwards. He has lost a lot of weight, no apatite now, and is freezing cold at night.  I need to figure out how to keep him warmer and make foods he really likes.

 Our friends here at the lake that live 5 minutes away drove me there and then the next day to pick him up. We are so grateful for them.  Larry doesn't like hospitals and wanted to go home. They wanted him to stay another day or two. So when we brought him home the next day, he was very very weak from no sleep and everything else. Today we had a telephone visit with his cardiac doctor we have had here in Missouri-he is a 3 hour drive away in Springfield Missouri now since the move to the lake house.  He agreed with us about one of the dosages of medicines was too much that the hospital prescribed. So I feel better about that. They wanted him to take Lasix everyday and that will damage kidneys-we were told that years ago when he first started taking it-only as needed.

  I just needed to write this down and "talk to someone" so that's why I am posting this.  This is life, and will always have it's challenges and heart breaks.

  The good news where we live we missed the golf ball size hail and tornadoes, but not the 2 1/2 inches of rain and strong winds. On the way home from the hospital that night we drove through a wicked storm getting home-made it home just in time before I got full blown car sick.  We have been cold and windy all month so far.  Today the sun is shining with no wind so far. a good thing.




41 comments:

  1. I’m sorry to hear about your husband’s set back. The newer hospital sounds very nice. I don’t allow myself to fear if I can help it - but I know health concerns are in our future as well as loss of a spouse and that always concerns me. It helps me to go over the scenario - and being as mentally and spiritually prepared as one can be.
    I will pray for Larry’s health and you as well, for strength and comfort as you navigate through these health challenges. God Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending prayers for Larry as you both negotiate this next step in your lives. Sorry about friends passing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you this will another difficult setback to get through

      Delete
  3. First, Kathy, condolences on the back-to-back loss of good friends. It was good to read that Larry had talked to one of these friends before his sudden passing. It's not that it softens the blow, but maybe gives a bit of comfort. Larry has been through a lot of health issues and that is certainly worrisome to you both. The hospital sounded like a better choice and it's good he agreed to go and get checked over. I am thankful that living where we do now, but the distance makes us thankful we live close to 2 major hospitals in Nashua, NH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that is a huge plus to live near medical needs (wrote back more in email)

      Delete
  4. Oh no. Saying more prayers for Larry. You two have been through so much lately. Glad this hospital was better for him. I would have been freaking out if I had to drive though any bad storm. Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew I couldn't drive this, especially since I am someone that always gets lost going to something place new-I just could not have done it without help. I got sooo car sick too ugh it was quite the storm to drive through thinking about tht now

      Delete
  5. Prayers continue
    What an ordeal you've had to go through together.
    The lasix, scary how it impacts kidney function.

    Warmer. Wear fluffy fleece socks and a night cap to bed. If it gets too warm, then try first the socks off or the night cap.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear about your latest "trauma" Kathy. Just when you think things are starting to improve, right? I hope Larry is feeling better sooner rather than later. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know poor Larry seems to get tossed into another challenge just as things are looking up-I am getting concerned with not wanting to eat much food now-need to figure out something for that

      Delete
  7. Wow, dear Kathy, this sounds so familiar.
    When Ingo was so severly sick I also had to get it out on blogger and I got so much help, also!
    I´d say we are a family, right.
    Which is... I needed to stay strong for Ingo and talk to doctors etc and a real hug would´ve broken me, so the virtual hugs was all I could allow - and they helped.
    So... big hugs from here, stay strong, best wishes and yay to the proper hospital, that is a true win!!! Good vibes all goes well from now on!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry to hear about your friends Kathy and Larry having more health trouble. At least you figured out what it is and can address it.. If its not one thing its another.. With your wonderful cooking i KNOW you'll find something Larry wants to eat. What storm blew through you was probably what blew through us first... and i sure it got worse the further East it went.. the rain blew sideways!! Only 1/10th ended up in our rain gauge and i know we got more than that! A big hug to both you and Larry. I know what it is to worry about your man.. Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  9. Would a heating pad or heating blanket help? So sorry to read about the rough patin and your friend passing. Big huggs and love your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks we are trying different things been looking into electric socks, hand warmers that are rechargeable-that's a new one to me searching online as to what is safest

      Delete
  10. Sorry to hear about your news. Sending condolences and thinking of you. I'm glad you got the help Larry needed and the hospital sounds wonderful. Take care and wishing you well ❤️. Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  11. How very sorry I am to hear of your losses. Sending hugs. I am glad your husband found a better hospital to bad he didn't stay a couple of extra days for some help.
    You seem to have nice neighbors to help you both like that. Sending hugs and healing energy
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, this hospital was soooo much better-like the care one should get. I found out on the way home that they wanted him to stay longer and least another day-that would have been a good idea I think. we did have a telephone call from his long time cardiac doctor a couple days after he was home-so that was good too.
      Yes I am so grateful for the couple we met a couple years ago-they are on the lake too about 5minutes away.

      Delete
  12. I am sorry to learn of Larry’s latest health issues. You are the best cook ever, so I can’t imagine any issues with food. Yay for your good friend neighbors. Take care! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, yesterday he asked me if I changed the coffee-ahh no-his taste buds have changed this incident sigh very blessed to have met this couple they are in a cove just down from where we are so about a 5 minute drive to us

      Delete
  13. Hilltop post above comment.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sometimes blogger friends are a place to lean on. Here we are. I hope everything goes as smoothly as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Kathy, I'm so very sorry that you both have to be experiencing this. Big prayers and wishes going out for Larry. I'm glad he is home, too, but I also hope he will not hesitate to return to the hospital and be tough about it all. And I'm very glad you called the paramedics. You two hang in there, OK?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Poor Larry! Poor you! I hope he gets better soon but it sounds like it is going to be a long recovery. We got some of that same storm as you, but not as much rain. I saw on the news that it looped up from your way into our area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, Larry always seems to have a rough go of things but he does have different health issues. His appetite is better now-asking for to make him "egg mcmuffins" haha I keep the english muffins in the freezer and little ham circles in the frig.
      That was a rough patch of weather here for the first week in april we are now up and down with the weather.
      The hummingbirds will returning soon-will be a couple feeders out today or tomorrow.

      Delete
    2. ooops sorry for the typos I bought a less expensive key board for my computer and it shows up in my typing

      Delete
  17. I don't blame Larry for not wanting to be in the hospital. He and you are really going through a rough time. I'm sorry it's so difficult. Hope that he is on the path to recovery. Glad you have good neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much yes very thankful for good neighbors. Larry does better at home opposed to being in Hospitals although the StMary's was a better one than the one we used before.

      Delete
  18. Goodness, you've certainly had a rough time recently.
    Pleased that Larry did get to the new hospital, and that you have some good neighbours that helped you.

    Sending my good wishes at this difficult time.

    All the best Jan
    https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jan, yes it's been a difficult time for sure. thankful to have a better hosp and for our friends that live close by for their help. Larry is getting better-slowly thanks

      Delete
  19. I'm so sorry that Larry is having such a bad time of it. Thank goodness you went to a good hospital. Sending healing energy.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dear Kathy, I'm so sorry that Larry is feeling so badly. I think going to the driver's license office was too much effort. Larry has to manage his strength. But sometimes you're only wiser afterwards.
    All good wishes for you both. Have a good rest for Larry... one step at a time.
    My hug to you Kathy.

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit