Monday, January 11, 2021

T Stands for Tuesday

  Good morning friends,

      Just a note I took down my last post discussing censorship. I appreciate everyone's comments very much. It was good to discuss and not accuse and most of us did that-so thank you all.  

     Due to the massive censorship by big tech-including Google, I took down the post as a precaution so none of us would face any possible discrimination by them or feel concerned about expressing ourselves. 

   Tuesday's brings us to T with our hostess Bleubeard and Elizabeth, find link in my sidebar. Any one is welcome to join just share a drink related photo in your post.

       I did get the quilt pattern book in my mailbox Saturday. I was so happy I did the splurge and bought this-I feel it was worth the money. There were stories of pioneer women that I hadn't read about before, all the patterns for the appliques are at full size-loved that, and there are several more quilt patterns included besides the featured quilt. One being a fish quilt-I think I need to make that one for sure 😀


  I am thinking I want to make this a wool quilt. I still have Lots of felted down recycled wool clothing in my stash. Just need to go through it and see what colors and patterns I have. Especially for the appliques in wool as it will be easier and more fun for me to stitch instead of the needle turn with cotton-that's a bit more challenging for me.  So using wool appliques I will need heavier flannels for the blocks,which I would need to buy or I could make the blocks with wool as well and I should have plenty for that as well.  I could sew the blocks together crazy quilt method or with seams-will decide when I get into it. Before I get into this quilt-gathering the wools, I need to get my big woodland quilt layered with backing and batting, basted and ready to hand quilt. I am going to order perle cotton #8 and quilt with big stitches.

    I started doing that over the weekend, then I decided the backing-which is all one piece-needed to be washed, and then laying out the wool batting ugh it's been in the bag tightly rolled up and needs time to get flat. I did read that I can mist it lightly with water and then fluff in the dryer with no heat or a low setting. So will work on that this week.

  This latest quilt adventure actually started when I was looking for this book, that was written in 1947 as part of a trilogy. Hoping this book comes in today Most  of you know I love the time period era of the late 1700's to the  mid 1800's and would gladly time travel back if possible




   I didn't get any photos but one morning I got to view eagles-lots of them very exciting. I was looking out to see if the eagle pair was there and I got to see them circle and land together on the same branch. That was awesome-but then looking up I noticed several large birds flying around overhead-no not crows but at least 6 eagles--that made my day very exciting!!

Most days here are still very cold and dreary, but we did get a few hours of sunshine on Sunday

   I made me a cup of green tea a few afternoons last week.


and I made us a pot of homemade chicken soup one day. I used organic chicken bone broth, added lots of herbs and spices for soups, threw in handfuls of dehydrated soup mix veggies, jar of my home canned tomatoes, frozen mixed veggies, Bob's Red Mill flaked potatoes-to thicken, and a large can of white meat chicken just before serving-yum
    ( just noticed my handle on the pan looks awful-these are revere ware copper bottom pans made in the usa that are at least 50 years or older now and the handles have seen their prime-they don't scrub up to black any more.)


 The Canada geese have been "hanging" around on the lawn in front of the lake. One morning a crane (oops per David thank you blue heron) was sitting on the edge amongst them. I decided to carefully and quietly open the door to the deck and take photos. It was going pretty well til the crane saw me sqwaked loudly and flew off. Half the geese jumped in the lake and the others just looked around-what's going on haha




Happy T everyone

41 comments:

  1. I appreciate your awareness, and common sense approach. The geese are fun to watch. Revere wear pans are the best. Your soup looks delicious.
    Have a wonderful week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you we need patience and common sense above all right now
      I love these revere ware pans I had set with copper bottoms and we got married my husband had the same ones with no copper bottoms we sold allot of his, added big stock pots to my set-I love them along with all of my cast iron pans enjoy your new week too hugs

      Delete
  2. Great to see all those CANADA Geese! Your crane is actually a Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias). And your soup looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you David I always get cranes and the blue heron mixed up I need to look them up in our bird books

      Delete
  3. Glad you are having fun with quilting. I had to give away my heavy land as I couldn't lift them any more. Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks my fiber crafts have been calling me I have several friends that needed to get rid of their cast iron pans-I do need to use two hands now to lift most of them with food in them

      Delete
  4. What a great post! I also love reading about this period of time, so may need to search for this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you I just got the book in the mail today-excited to start reading it-looks like has allot of photos. I found a good price at thrift books for this one

      Delete
  5. You are going to really enjoy your special reads - so exciting to have a subject you love to read about, and dream about as well.
    Great season for hot tea and chicken soup! I've had to discard two vintage stock pots that belonged to grandmother and great grandmother because they both got so thin on the bottom centers that they developed leaks:(
    Always entertaining on your lake isn't it....love it!
    Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, oh bummer about your heritage pans! Yes we love our lake views and visitors bright spot in our days

      Delete
  6. I have one smaller saucepan that is Revere ware with copper bottom. Like you said the handle doesn't look that great but the pan cleans up beautifully! I think it is the only one I ever had and it was a wedding gift. We are coming up on 55 years! That pan is one we use almost daily! It is just the right side for boiling eggs, making my cream sauces, etc. :)
    My hubby would love to be where you are , as he is a bird watcher. Thanks for the great T post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome, yes these are wonderful pans-these older ones made in the usa I needed another size a few years ago and the new ones were nothing like these and not made in the usa either-they still hold their price at sales Happy T

      Delete
  7. I was so late visiting I didn't even realize you had written a censorship post. I seem to be late getting around to everything this month.

    How wonderful that you have those books. I think you are going to enjoy them both. And you will take advantage of the quilt patterns, too, I'm sure.

    Your soup looks good. I've never had Revere ware, and I don't know why not, since they have copper bottoms. I love cooking with copper, but it's hard to keep them shiny when you use them as much as I use mine. Your soup looks good, too. As does your tea in the handcrafted mug. Thanks for sharing your books, the eagles, your soup, and your tea with us for T this Tuesday, dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elizabeth, this was a very civil discussion except for one person. I only took it down as many of us are concerned with retaliation of these sites-google is one of them, so I didn't want any of the commenters to feel uncomfortable with their posts-I left it up for about 3 days.
      I am really thrilled with these books. the novel has beautiful paintings in it of the time period which hadn't realized it was worth it for those for sure.
      I am bad and don't keep the copper bottoms cleaned up and shiny. My father always insisted that my Mom keep those cleaned and pretty haha which reminds me I inherited some of her pans so some of these are probably close 70 years old Happy T

      Delete
  8. That book looks interesting. And wow, that pot is a granpa! LOL! The soup looks yummy! Oh, I´d love that right now, only 2C and I´m again too frugal to turn on the heating other than the low automatic mode. (Biiig cup of tea right now).
    Beautiful pics of the lake and birds, happy T-day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful book and I love the idea of creating a wooden quilt, can't wait to see it 😁. Wow, how exciting to see all those eagle too - I bet it was amazing! Your soup looks so yummy and I think I'll make a cup of green tea too - Happy T Day! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Jo, thanks so much Jo a cup of green tea is really nice some days

      Delete
  10. The book sounds interesting. I have found that large sized Egrets and Herons are very skittish. One doesn't need to be close to them, for them to fly away. (Some of my photo attempts have been thwarted because of that.) And how thrilling to have more Bald Eagles this year than last year. I like your mug and the plate it's on. Happy T-Day!

    With regard to you removing the blog post you had about censorship: I understand why you decided to do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am discovering the Herons are very skittish for sure.
      thanks Anne I decided it would be good to protect all those that commented never know if something is really deleted in the cyber world but didn't want them to have any possible problems with tech

      Delete
  11. That quilting book sounds great Kathy. I have a read a couple of book on pioneer women. What a hard life for sure. Wool quilts are gorgeous. The women who runs my dog's Doggy Daycare is an amazing quilter and does wool quilts. She hangs them in the barn where the daycare is. I bet they need to be aired out after while with the doggy smell, although the dogs spent time in the back addition not in the actual barn part. Your stew looks yummy also. Have fun with the new quilt project and happy T day. hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yumm to a big pot of chicken soup! wow lucky you to see all those eagles ~ that helps keep you looking to the skies even on a dreary day. We have loads of Canada geese but they make loads of poop, so I try to keep them out of the yard. Enjoy your new quilt book & your week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That quilting book looks amazing and I am so happy you got it. Ohhh seeing the eagles, nothing like. As for the geese. My least favorite bird of all time. We have millions here and they are very destructive.
    Your stash of fabrics sound like a lot of fun. I am looking forward to seeing your new quilt. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the geese can be bad, that's why I stopped feeding the wildlife here at the lake. they ruined all the ponds we had at our woods homes. they make allot of messes too.
      thank you it will be fun to audition the wools

      Delete
  14. Your soup looks delicious! We get blue herons here some, but I have to go to a park to see one. They are such graceful-looking birds.

    It's hard to get people to understand what censorship even is much less get people to discuss it in more than an accusatory sound-bite. Sad :(

    Happy T Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy seeing the herons too.
      this was actually a very good discussion and wasn't the normal throwing out their beliefs-except for one person. I new many were concerned about the censoring and that's why I deleted it to protect us

      Delete
    2. I don't understand how deleting the post protects us, as I saw it after you deleted it, archived in my news reader. It's still there. I can't read any of the comments, but the posts are still available there.

      Delete
    3. that's what my husband says too once you send it off to cyber space it will always be there. I have been working on hand deleting every post to trash and then emptying the trash on fb-the last step even says are you positive you want to delete as will be gone forever. so I deleted everything up august-last night fb posted it all back on my timeline and in the trash--wondering why they did that

      Delete
  15. This is a fun post! The books look very interesting too. You are a good cook! I'm wondering if the pans I see advertized on TV called "Made-In" are good. They look heavy and I'm pretty sure, made in USA. My mom always cooked with the pots like you use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks I cook allot in my cast iron pieces too, and these revere ware pans the originals were made really good and conduct the heat well

      Delete
  16. I never saw the comment/discussion on censorship, but I'm always careful not to write anything that could get me into trouble should the wrong people read it.
    You are so fortunate to be able to see eagles, herons and Canada geese. we have a lovely view but not much wildlife (yes, it a the view from our living room).
    The book sounds really lovely and I can imagine you are looking forward to reading them.
    Already thinking of your next quilt? It's such a great way to use up those woollen items.
    Happy T-Day,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisca, yes the quilting muse has been upon me for awhile now You do have a gorgeous view-I have always loved the mountains. I lived in them back in the 70s for several years-I always missed them

      Delete
  17. You chose well - what a wonderful book for a quilt artist like you. The designs are really charming. Two very different books with the same title - Wasn't that serendipitous?

    Your soup sounds/looks delicious. Potato flakes to thicken broth - what a great idea!

    Happy T-day! Stay safe out there. Hugs, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much Eileen, the book is turning out as an excellent find for this era-really impressed so far, the printed paintings included are amazing

      Delete
  18. Soup sounds good. It hasn’t been particularly cold, but it has been grey and gloomy. Awesome photo you got of the blue heron. Happy T Day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you CJ we have been really cold here for many days a little out of the ordinary for here

      Delete
  19. Your chicken soup sounds and looks delicious. I just made a pot of bone broth yesterday and used it to make a Steadying Spinach Egg Drop soup from my Asian cookbook. It is a favorite of mine.
    Your new quilting book has a lovely cover and I am sure it will provide a lot of hours of enjoyable sewing.
    The birds are beautiful.
    Sorry I am a bit late making it around.
    Happy belated Tea day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never too late for T(ea) hugs. I am getting inspired with this new quilt adventure. your egg drop soup sounds delicious Happy T(ea)

      Delete
  20. Oh Kathy, your book does look interesting just from the cover! I'd love to come and look through it with you! Good luck with finding some suitable fabric in your stash! I love seeing films about the old pioneers, what a hard life they must have had. How lucky to see those eagles, I'm sure your don't need your camera to help with a memory of that! Loved how you tried to sneak up on the Heron! We have been making soups but yours sounds(and looks) especially delicious! Belated Happy T day, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris, I always tell my friends-never too late to visit.
      that was fun with heron and geese. I have been making smaller batches of soups so it's enough for two days-instead of getting tired of it or freezing it Happy T.

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit