Sunday, January 17, 2021

T Stands for Tuesday-Quilts and Sunrises

 Hi Everyone,  I can see this month is going by slow and then again also fast.

    It is still soooo dreary here with very little sun. With my husband's ptsd this is not good weather for him, and it's too cold for his outdoor projects-mostly trying to finish the dock project, and still needing to stay away from people.  He has been working on upgrading the very very bad electric here and making progress. A really big job-we knew the electric was in bad shape here when we bought this lake home-but when we bought it Hubs was feeling healthier and then the following spring he needed a heart valve transplant-it has been a very slow recovery for him.  We are always grateful for every day we have.

   I have been as you know engrossed in my quilting since early autumn. Most of you mixed media artists are probably tired of reading about it haha-hope not too bored 😀   I did get the quilt onto the frame over the weekend, it's a vintage Sears we picked up at a garage sale and Hubs swapped out the poles for a queen size quilt.   My mixed media journals have been calling me lately so that may be a nice break while I wait for supplies.

   I  ordered the perle cotton size 8 thread and I needed new needles-I have allot of needle choices but I don't have quite what I needed for this project, so I ordered a set designed by Sue Spargo on Etsy. She creates gorgeous wool appliqued quilts if you are not familiar.


Sunday I searched online for pattern ideas for big stitch quilting. I found out this is very popular right now, and it looks really nice. I probably won't be able to get perfectly even stitches any more, but I am going to give this a go. This is really a huge hand quilting project for me now so I will need to pace myself.  

    I saw allot of straight line ideas sashiko style which I liked but I don't want this to be heavily quilted-sometimes that takes away from the coziness of this type of quilt-flannels and wool.

    Then I remembered I had a few stencils I had made for other quilts when I first retired, and I made a few more from my yellowstone animal cookie cutter collection.  I now have a bison, wolf, bear, star, two oak leaves and some small oak leaves. I think I will give this idea a go They fit perfectly in the smaller blocks and may just do the sashiko style in the large 12 inch blocks  At least I now have the start of a plan  Hoping it won't take super long to get my threads and needles in the mail.




   We enjoyed a lovely sunrise over the lake

  
   T for Tuesdays are when we gather together for T over at our hostess Bleubeard and Elizabeth and share a post with a drink related photo.  I have a couple to share.

   I have been enjoying cups of my decaf coffee with whipped cream in the mornings. I like using the whipped cream as it stays fresh in the frig longer-and I love how it melts into the hot coffee


and in the afternoons, I brought out another one of my single serve tea pots. I have a few of these made in Japan. I love them and haven't used them in awhile. I don't remember now which one is which and they are all different-I used one for black teas, one for green teas, and the third for white teas.

   Some of you may remember when I bought several teas from this company-these got buried in the cupboard and just got them out so I can see them.


The cup is a hand thrown pottery cup-perfect size for a cup of hot tea



and I will leave you with this Sunday morning's pretty sunrise




Happy T and new week to all my readers

43 comments:

  1. Wonderful photos, love the sunrise. Nice lots and cups, too. Happy T Day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. A sunrise like that is a welcome start to a New Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, we are really enjoying these sunrises very much. at our woods home there were so many trees we never could see the sky from indoors

      Delete
  3. I'm working backwards because I just bought some thread for my little wall quilt even though I haven't sewn the pieces together. They are pinned though. I like seeing how people can sew squares and shapes so precisely. And how they mix fabrics together. So keep showing us Kathy. And nice mug. I love a nice handmade ceramic mug and yours is a beauty. Have a great Monday and T day too. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Erika, I know most of my readers are mixed media, artists and such so didn't want my readers to get too bored with my quilting-that's what I am involved in right now though. enjoy your journey with your quilt hugs

      Delete
  4. I LOVE that red tea pot! I need a tea pot-where do you get one like that? What is it called? And your cup is gorgeous-the tea is too! I can see why tea is a ceremony-there's so much beauty in it if you use special things. Your quilt is so pretty-I love seeing each step you take in making it. Hugs and lovely sunrise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I commented on your blog about the tea pot but I think I will also share a blog post about them too.
      I am happy you are enjoying my quilting process-hugs

      Delete
  5. Life on the lake makes me nostalgic. When we lived on water, our best time of day was sunset. Both can be spectacular like yours this morning. I absolutely love your quilt, and can only imagine how cozy it will feel underneath it! Your plan for hand-quilting it sounds and looks good, baby those hands as you go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we sometimes can see the sunsets too, but will be able to for sure once the dock is finished on there.
      this is going to be a very cozy quilt loving the wool batting but I don't have the right washing machine for it. I will need to pace myself for sure with the quilting

      Delete
  6. The tea blend sounds tasty. I love the pottery mug and your teapot. Your lake views are gorgeous, as always. Happy T Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, this company has some really wonderful tea blends, this one was really good. we are getting very spoiled with our lovely views-I am thinking we deserve it, we worked hard all our lives even at the woods home-trying to slow down now and enjoy.

      Delete
    2. It's a joy to be able to appreciate the "little" things that come to us every day :) Enjoying every moment is a gift.

      Delete
  7. This seems the perfect time of year to stitch on this wonderful quilt. Will you be able to see the lake while you work? I always enjoy your journals so look forward to seeing them again. It was sunny this morning and a bit warmer, so I spent a couple of hours out and about walking trails through the woods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I won't be able to see the lake, there is one window though that does face the neighbors and a bit of the lake. I could have set this up so I could view the lake-but I didn't want to take up living space for a long period of time. good for you getting a walk in-I need to do that on the next warmer day. Happy new week

      Delete
    2. You can see that window in the back of the photo

      Delete
  8. Bored? No! I love seeing the amazing yarns and quilts you create in the old ways. I don't think you should have been born 200 years ago. I think you're doing wonderful things to keep these crafts/art forms alive today.

    Beautiful sunrise video and still photos. You live in a lovely place.

    Happy T-day! Stay safe and well. Hugs, Eileen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you I would love to go back the late 1700's early 1800's for sure. I am glad you enjoy my fiber journey.
      we do really enjoy our lake views very much-hugs keep us posted on your health

      Delete
  9. Your sunrise is gorgeous! I have a framed photo of a Christmas sunrise on Beaver lake when we had Christmas there one year with my parents, when they were still living. Your cup of decaf with whipped cream looked delicious.
    When I could do it, I loved hand quilting. I made all my quilts and hand quilted. I took a big stitch class about 15 years ago and used that to do my son's T-shirt quilt. I made a stencil with his initials to quilt it.
    I loved just sitting and quilting. Enjoy, while you look at your beautiful lake. :) Happy T Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy the peacefulness of hand quilting too. Your big stitch T shirt quilt sounds awesome Happy T

      Delete
  10. My grandmother quilted everything by hand. She had this HUGE hoop that sat on her lap. In fact, it was bigger than she was, but somehow she quilted perfectly. I look forward to seeing how you complete yours.

    I have been buying whipping cream since Thanksgiving, and whipping up a little at a time every few days. It always makes the coffee seem so decadent. Like others, I love your little red teapot, and that jasmine blend sounds truly yummy. Looks pretty good, too. Thanks for sharing your quilt, your coffee, and your tea with us for T this Tuesday, dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have one of those huge hoops too and had thought about it-but I don't have a comfortable couch to do that on. My grandma did allot of hand quilting too, she would use a frame like I have but my Mom's cousin always used a big hoop.
      I just recently started enjoying cream in my coffee-it is really nice. happy T

      Delete
  11. It´s so crazy that quilts are "unknown" here!
    We now have an 8kg "blanket" on top that has a pattern like a quilt - I am tempted to "pimp" it, so it looks like a real quilt ;-)
    (It helps against panic attacks)
    Oh, your lake, ohhhh, sooo beautiful, please keep pics and videos coming, happy T-day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't get over not having allot of quilters near you. I did find this list of quilt shops in Germany https://www.all-about-quilts.com/germany-quilt-shops.html
      we really enjoy these sunrises too-Happy T

      Delete
  12. The color of the quilt are so rich, like jewels. The animal and nature appliqués really make the quilt. It’s gorgeous. Whipped cream on top of a hot beverage is decadent. Beautiful sunrise, too. Happy TDay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much CJ I am really happy with these colors and prints and the wool will make it very warm and cozy
      the whipped cream is my new treat for myself. Happy T

      Delete
  13. I love seeing and reading about your quilt making- it's beautiful! I admire your talent for making them- something I couldn't do.
    And thanks for sharing that gorgeous sunrise over the lake along with your lovely single serve teapot. Happy T day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. H Linda, thanks I am glad you enjoying reading about my quilt making.
      these sunrises really make our day Happy T

      Delete
  14. Hope you and hubby are staying warm and cosy and not working too hard. Your quilt looks amazing, loving that bear 😁. The sunrise was spectacular, the colours were stunning. I'd love to try the jasmine tea and chopping board in the background with the fish and trees on is beautiful too! Take care and wishing you a very Happy T Day! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo, My husband always works too hard, hoping he can enjoy fishing this coming spring and summer. this jasmine tea was really nice. the chopping board I bought from a reader's group friend who has a shop on etsy-she custom designed this board to reflect our lake she did an awesome job. https://www.etsy.com/shop/CalmMountainArt Happy T

      Delete
  15. Oh, love the little teapot! Need to look for mine, too. I have a black and white version with a big matching cup. Can't wait to see what you do with the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These little tea pots are so fun to use and perfect for one person. I have another one similiar but smaller, and I have a really pretty blue one too. I am waiting for my thread to get shipped and into my mailbox and then can try out some ideas. Happy T

      Delete
  16. I love reading about your quilting, as it is relatively unknown here.
    The sunrise is spectacular! Beautiful photos/video
    The jasmin tea looks indeed delicious. And I love that little red tea pot.
    Happy T-Day,
    Hugs,
    Lisca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you much Lisca, we so enjoy our lake sunrises-different every morning. the jasmine tea was really delicious. the little tea pot is from Japan Happy T

      Delete
  17. You ask about the flower in my blog, and could it be a dandelion. No, I don't think so. I have now done an edit at the end and added a close up photo of the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely cup and mini tea pot. I love the name of your loose tea. It sounds yummy.
    Beautiful views and it looks like your quilt is coming along. That straight stitch looks similar to the one they use on Kantha quilts. I never knew one could use stencils on quilts. Interesting.
    Happy Tea Day,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kate this tea was really nice-they seem to put flower petals in allot of their teas. I think anything goes with hand quilting-bigger quilt shops would have a whole wall filled with stencils-the long one with the small leaves is one of them. the large ones the animals and leaves I cut out as a template I will look up kantha quilts-thanks Happy Tea

      Delete
    2. I just looked up the kantha quilts-yes very similar I haven't totally decided if I want to just have lines like that or my idea to sew around the larger stencils in the smaller blocks

      Delete
  19. It sounds like you are going to have a fun time quilting your quilt. The stencils will add a whole new dimension to the quilt. Enjoy your tea drinking!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you-yes I am just waiting for my thread to get mailed and get here Happy new week

      Delete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit