Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Plan B For the Wool Quilt

   Just a little update.  I tried the method I had read about and shared-butting up the two edges (so they are flat-no seams) with the zig zag stitch and just did Not work for me.

  I tried different sizes of the zig zag, but with the various different wool fabrics and sweaters I am using-is just not a secure seam, and I can see it raveling and falling apart.

   I did more searching online, this time looking for how to make a quilt with wool felted down sweaters-and found several posts.

    They are sewing 1/2 inch seams-and then steam pressing them flat. I did a row and it went well and I think this will be a nicer quilt. 

      Although now it will need a backing and perhaps batting. Being wool it may not need the batting, I will decided when I put the quilt layers together.

      I have some wool yardage in my stash so will check on the size once the top is put together. I also have different battings in my stash as well-including a wool batting. So am hoping I won't need to purchase anything to complete this quilt. I wanted to use up what I have in my stash into something useable.

  If anyone wants to try this-you will need a walking foot for your sewing machine. It sews bulky items much better, would for sure be a struggle without one.  It sews over this hand knitted sweater very well.




I will keep you posted on how this goes together. Loving it so far.

14 comments:

  1. I’ve never done this, Kathy, so this comment may not be helpful. However, if I tried it I would butt the two edges up against each other before zig-zagging them together. Not pin them together one on top of the other before sewing. Seems they would lay flatter. Does that make any sense?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool way to recycle old clothing and stuff. Looking forward to seeing the finished piece. Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes I like to recycle old clothing into things-did allot of quilts with men 100% cotton shirts- cheaper than buying quilt fabrics

      Delete
  3. Good progress. Consider the weight that adding batting will do to the weight of the quilt when it is washed. You'll have to dry clean it. There's dry cleaner sheets for a dryer. I haven't tried them, chemical use issue.
    I think a serger stitch would work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I did this stitching to cut open a sweater I had to make the stitches about an inch in so that the unraveling wouldn’t occur. That doesn’t give you a flat seem though. But you could run a double line of stitches so you stick that edges twice for more support.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks they suggest to do that for hand woven fabrics too
      did you felt down the sweaters first-hot wash and hot dry? that helped for the store bought sweaters-no raveling at all but not this one hand knitted sweater--I went in and hand stitched the edges of the ones already sewn in and will stitch around the next blocks before sewing them in the strips

      Delete
  5. I can't wait to see this all done. It's beautiful so far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you I have the first half put together now to sew up the next 7 rows and then sew those together and then the two halves-allot more pressing of all the seams and decide on the backing-I have a couple options in my stash

      Delete
  6. Wow, your quilt looks amazing! I'm loving the different squares of pattern and yarn - fabulous 😊. I hope you've had a lovely week and wishing you a happy weekend! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  7. This will look so good when you finish it, and it will be so warm! Hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit