Wednesday, March 11, 2020

A New Journal Page & Just Added One More

  Good morning Wednesday, we have a pretty sunny day today so far. A bit of rain again early and it's chilly but loving the sunshine.

   I want to thank all you that commented on my painting yesterday. I appreciate your encouragement in this new creativity outlet for me. Several of you sent me videos on painting water, and videos on using acrylics. I really appreciate it very much this group is so kind to one another I love you all.

  I attempted another water scene-too dark-painted over it-and rubbed some paints all over too. Then I added some bushes, and other things and thought you know these little painting experiments would make good backgrounds for mixed media. One of the videos Elizabeth sent me was how to turn the acrylic paints into watercolor effects-and she was painting over mixed media so thinking Yes I can do this haha.  So I am anxious for my next piece and see what happens.

  When I was finishing up with this newest piece I got to thinking it was similiar to the one I did in January but with watercolors. Remember this one? one of my first pages in my mixed media journal


Since there are different shades of green in this latest page will share it at AJJ

   These are acrylic paints, a cancelled stamp, the green sun is cut from a feed bag that had a finch on it, and I loved this quote-I included the author on above page. and the two button fish are from Mia.  I like the water over the rocks in this one




Update:

This is my journal page that I made this morning. I really like it allot. I added green highlights to the background, painted the crochet flower with green, and there is some green in the magazine cut outs

  I remembered I had this piece that holds paint in a box that has my wall stencil items  So I thought perfect to use now for my acrylics


This is my page finished before glueing into my journal.

   I enjoyed painting the background, following some tips from a video that Elizabeth had sent me.
   Then in my stash I found the magazine cut outs, vintage sewing pattern, sheet music and the flower. I started with paper made for acrylic paints that I cut to size for my journal.
   I painted gesso and added on top the pattern tissue paper and the sheet music. When dry I played with the acrylics-watering them down or rubbing them in as well.
   I painted the crochet flower (from Mia) and added the magazine cut outs.




In my Journal


dated


My goal was to have fun with the acrylic artist paints and make a background. Then I wanted to represent Spring-flowers, robins, and when I was a kid Mom handmade new spring dresses for us girls-for church.  I added in the green for the AJJ theme by Eileen  I am actually pleased with this one.

A good way for me to learn about using these paints (painting backgrounds for my journal pages)

33 comments:

  1. You are doing great! You already have a good eye for colors-and that's so important... I'm excited to see what you'll do next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much-I have been told I have a good eye for colors-I always help my artist friend choose her quilt fabrics haha

      Delete
  2. Kathy, your painting effort is coming along very nicely! I’m not good with color so I like that you are using it successfully. I’m also not good with foliage and trees, so I’m getting some ideas from yours. I assume Its the quote author’s name on the opposite page, perfect! Did you paint the moon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I wanted to save the author of the quote so stuck it on the page above this one in the journal. the moon is a cut out piece of plastic bird food bag that was part of a finch

      Delete
  3. I can see why you like this one so much! It’s visually very pleasing, and some memories went into choosing elements. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the newest page a lot. The background sets it off so nicely. The best thing is you seem to be having fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that new painting. Everything coordinates well together, and I like how you used a sewing pattern stamp for part of it. (I have some Vogue sewing patterns, because I loved their classic styled patterns, that were timeless.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes my late sister way back in the '70s always used vogue sewing patterns. this is the actual tissue paper from one of my Mom's sewing patterns that I tore and added to the page

      Delete
  6. I love how you can water down acrylic paints to look like watercolor paints. Th water and the rocks came out amazing Kathy. And I lik the bit of pattern you added. You should try covering the whole page in pattern and then painting your picture to get a new effect. I am glad you linked your page to art Journal Journey and you should also link up to try It On Tuesday and the new technique challenge. Have a great end of your week Kathy. Hugs-Erika

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm rubbish when it comes to composition, but color is what drives me. I like how you have a good sense of color, too. You are doing quite well with your new adventure in mixed media art journaling.

    So glad the links I sent were helpful. Not what I was looking for, but I stumbled across them while looking for info on gel mediums. I immediately thought of you and your newly found interest in acrylic paints. I also like that you now have a way to mix the paints if you need to. Thanks for sharing these latest two entries with us using Eileen's theme at Art Journal Journey.

    ReplyDelete
  8. your two pages are beautifully designed, the ideas are great!
    Have a nice Day, Elke

    ReplyDelete
  9. I especially love your painted trees and the flowing water. Your palette was a handy find. You'll get a lot of use out of that :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful, colorful pages. I love all of the cheerful yellow on your second page!
    Tammy x

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have an amazing thirst and knack for creative endeavors, Kathy. From baking and cooking (gluten-free or whatever) to fiber arts and spinning yarn to mixed media. I'm in awe. Thank you for sharing "Swim after Your Dreams" for AJJ's green theme. Eileen xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous art pages Kathy, it is so good to see that you are enjoying painting and creating these wonderful pieces. So much to see and admire. I am thrilled you are linking to Art Journal Journey.
    Yvonne xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nope, didn't see these before, Kathy. Brand new for me. The background is amazing, love the colors. Those painted trees are very beautiful, too! Btw, I accidentally went in to your old blog but, I did get redirected to the right place - here... lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I learn so much here. So sad I´m not that creative!
    I am so sad I threw away some tickets of great events, too.
    If I´d known you earlier... they´d sit still here somehow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do save some things, and now go through magazines for the mixed media journal

      Delete
  15. I'm loving your new pages! The lake scene is beautifully painted and I love the quote that you used, the sunflower postage stamp is a lovely addition too 😁. The soft yellow background of your second page looks fabulous and with the birds and flowers it reminds me of springtime - perfect! We've had sunshine here to day too. Happy Friday and Weekend! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jo the last one is my favorite piece for sure. Happy Weekend hugs

      Delete
  16. I So Encourage This Kind Of Behavior - Well Done

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful art journal pages Kathy! I love the spring colours!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful pages and colours! I especially love the second one, I also like the water over the rocks. Great job!
    Mar :)

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments and I do reply back to your comments as well
Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit