Monday, May 1, 2017

Second on the 2nd Today I Dyed with Goldenrod September 30, 2008

  

Besides being T for Tuesday today is also Second on the 2nd with our hostess Elizabeth where we share a previous post.

     Since this new blog is so new I went way back into my original blog to share a dye post from September 30, 2008-I remember this being a very fun day with good results. I also did the dyeing in a very big stainless pot over an open fire. 
(sorry it seems the photos are no longer enlarging)
    This post has reminded me again that I actually achieved some of the clearest yellows with goldenrod using a huge pot over an open fire.  This pretty yarn was eventually knitted into a pair of beautiful fingerless gloves by a friend of mine in North Carolina. I gave her extra of this dyed yarn so she could knit something for herself too.

Original post here

Tuesday, September 30, 2008


Today I dyed with Goldenrod












I have been wanting to play with natural dye stuffs, mordant and wool ever since I can remember. I have several books on the subject, and yesterday the beauty of all of the goldenrod was just calling to me. We live here in the woods, so the wild flowers etc are everywhere.
I have been so stressed over the financial crisis-all my retirement money is in the stock market, and the presidential race, etc, and I have been really sick with my allergies since friday-that I just decided to have fun and go for it.
I picked a bushel of goldenrod tops yesterday, and then looked for my big pots I have been saving, some wooded spoons, my alum, and my wool, and I needed some washing soda too since I was using purchased wool.
I just finished this up around 5 pm today, so it was an 8 hour plus day today, but the weather was gorgeous, and I had my dye pot on the open flame outside. So sharing the pictures. Yesterday I also gathered and hulled over a bushel of black walnuts, they are big and plentiful this year and we have two trees close to the house.

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful results, Kathy, again! The last thing I knitted was fingerless gloves from handspun yarn before I stopped doing projects. They are wonderful, but hard to knit with my hands. I hope sometime this year to be able to spin and knit again. You have lots of company stressing over the way things are going. I admire your ability to rise above that and not feeling well to make it a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kathy! I LOVE your goldenrod colored yarn, the mitts must be gorgeous.
    It's so easy to stress over all that's wrong in the world, but it does no good. Wishing you peace...
    Have a great week!
    Toni

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Fabulous colours! Wish I had the space! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful color! And black walnuts? You know you can boil the shells to make ink.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this yarn! You sent me some one year and I crocheted a sunflower out of it. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Kathy,

    Beautiful yarn! It reminds me of Tasha Tudor's book, "Heirloom Crafts of Tasha Tudor."
    I hope you're keeping above water with all the rain!

    Love,

    Marqueta

    ReplyDelete

I always enjoy your visits and reading your comments. Thank you so much for stopping by for a visit
If you are a no reply blogger (your settings are set so I can not reply back by email) I will try to answer-comment on your blog post.